•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Upgrading a Tasco 33TR

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#26 xvariablestarx

xvariablestarx

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Limerick, Ireland

Posted 17 July 2021 - 03:48 PM

You may be able to put a setting circle on your mount.  Telescope warehouse has them for like $3.  I have a couple I got from them.  4” diameter.  If you need a pic, I could post it if you would like.

Sure, show me a picture of it. I put a inclinometer on my Dob, to help me find objects, but the Tasco tube is plastic so it wouldnt work.

I am mainly concerned about the Tasco's optics for now, 30+ years hasn't been kind to  them.

#27 Jimceez

Jimceez

Explorer 1

• Loc: Central PA

Posted 18 July 2021 - 04:55 PM

Meade setting circle
Xv,

here’s the Meade setting circle disc.  It’s 4 inches in diameter.  If you can secure it to your base, add a clock hand that moves with the scope, it would work.  I have two si. If you covered the shipping, I’d send it via the post.

or just print it and laminate it to your size..

Edited by Jimceez, 18 July 2021 - 05:00 PM.

• xvariablestarx and LU1AR like this

#28 xvariablestarx

xvariablestarx

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 July 2021 - 11:03 PM

Totally took apart the scope, removed main mirror, focuser and secondary mirror. Secondary didn't look too bad, but the main mirror needs replacing

Also took off the old mounting fixture from the tube.

mirror.jpg

removed.jpg

#29 xvariablestarx

xvariablestarx

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 July 2021 - 05:09 AM

Making use of my old Tasco tripod. Replaced the original mount head, shoved a 1/4inch screw in there, put a new photographic tripod head on it, and there we have a mount for my binoculars.

panhead.jpg

Edited by xvariablestarx, 19 July 2021 - 05:10 AM.

#30 xvariablestarx

xvariablestarx

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 July 2021 - 07:25 AM

Got my 0.965 to 1.25 inch adaptor. Will test out the scope tonight.

125.jpg

• shredder1656 likes this

#31 xvariablestarx

xvariablestarx

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 July 2021 - 04:37 PM

Got my zoom eyepiece to focus on the Moon, so the adapter seems to work. Still need to replace the primary mirror, it is the one thing limiting the scope right now.

• shredder1656 likes this

#32 xvariablestarx

xvariablestarx

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 July 2021 - 04:40 AM

Still here, waiting for the mirror from AliExpress, but some things arrived today, including this "Sparta" mount. The other mount I had the Tasco on, didn't allow the scope to point at zenith, but this one does.

sparta3.jpg

• mdowns, Sky Muse and shredder1656 like this

#33 xvariablestarx

xvariablestarx

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 August 2021 - 04:21 AM

Got my primary mirror in the mail. It also came with a secondary mirror but I don't think I will be needing that.

mirror2.jpg

• shredder1656 and LukaszLu like this

#34 xvariablestarx

xvariablestarx

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 August 2021 - 05:09 AM

I wanted to avoid doing this, and I may regret it later, but I can see no other way of doing it. The 76mm mirror is a bit wider and a lot thicker than the original 75mm mirror, so I couldn't use the original mounting hardware, so I am gluing it in place instead. If anything else this will be a learning experience. I got some finger prints on the mirror, I will clean these later.

mirror3.jpg

• Sky Muse, shredder1656 and LukaszLu like this

#35 xvariablestarx

xvariablestarx

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 07 August 2021 - 07:45 AM

I let the glue dry over night, and tested the scope, and it was able to focus on some trees. Of course it may not work on astronomical objects, but it has been cloudy here for weeks, so I am not sure when I will get a chance to give the mirror "first light".

#36 xvariablestarx

xvariablestarx

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 August 2021 - 06:00 PM

I gave the Tasco its first light tonight, and couldn't get focus with my 0.965 to 1.25 inch adaptor and a zoom eyepiece, but at least I could tell I wasn't reaching focus, unlike with the old mirror, where I assumed I was reaching focus but that the light transmission was crappy. I am also guessing that the secondary mirror is out of collimation, which is fun, because there is no easy way to collimate it except by bending the stalk it sits on and praying.

I will experiment with some collimation inside and see if I can see anything I can fix.

I am expecting a 0.965 Plossl in a few days, I hope it gets here because I am guessing that is the only way I will reach focus. If I can get the scope to see two equatorial bands on Jupiter, and four major moons, I will call it a victory.

#37 xvariablestarx

xvariablestarx

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 August 2021 - 01:22 PM

Still no sign of the Plossl eyepiece, I will give it two more weeks, then assume the postal system, or customs, ate it.

If anybody knows of a source for a 0.965, 7mm or less, Kellner or Plossl eyepiece, please let me know.

I have already started a new project, but want to complete this one also.

#38 Jimceez

Jimceez

Explorer 1

Posted 19 August 2021 - 07:41 AM

Surplus Shed in the US might have something.  

https://www.surplusshed.com/

i don’t know if they ship internationally.  You can email them to find out.

#39 xvariablestarx

xvariablestarx

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 August 2021 - 08:32 AM

Surplus Shed in the US might have something.  

https://www.surplusshed.com/

i don’t know if they ship internationally.  You can email them to find out.

Those are the guys whose Plossl I am still awaiting. I am sure it isn't their fault, but still frustrating.

#40 Jimceez

Jimceez

Explorer 1

Posted 20 August 2021 - 07:38 AM

If it’s any consolation, the US Postal Service sucks.  The delays are long in the domestic market let alone the international.

I had a package from France take 3 months.  It sat in New York customs for 11 weeks.

good luck.

#41 xvariablestarx

xvariablestarx

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 September 2021 - 01:43 PM

If it’s any consolation, the US Postal Service sucks.  The delays are long in the domestic market let alone the international.

I had a package from France take 3 months.  It sat in New York customs for 11 weeks.

good luck.

The package with the eyepiece, sat in a big post office in Dublin for a week or two, then I get an message that it was unable to be delivered, and its being shipped back to the US. I have no idea what went wrong, as I paid postage as well as for the product, and the correct address was typed into their shop website, so unless this is resolved  either with me getting back some money, or getting the product, then Surplus Shed will have permanently lost a customer. Because of this I am wary of buying anything outside the EU. Well that is enough of me ranting, but this puts the project with the Tasco on hold for now. :(

#42 Jimceez

Jimceez

Explorer 1

Posted 02 September 2021 - 07:49 AM

Sorry to hear about this problem.  I wonder why it’s being returned.

#43 xvariablestarx

xvariablestarx

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 September 2021 - 01:29 PM

Sorry to hear about this problem.  I wonder why it’s being returned.

I think its customs fees, but I can't really tell from here.

#44 xvariablestarx

xvariablestarx

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 September 2021 - 01:29 PM

I am pondering something drastic to get  my Tasco to focus with a modern eyepiece. I am thinking of taking off the focuser, and sawing off about an inch off the drawtube, then reattaching it, so I can pop my 1.25 inch to 0.965 adapter into it, and have it focus with a 1.25 inch plossl.

1_25inchadapter.jpg

#45 xvariablestarx

xvariablestarx

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 03 September 2021 - 06:21 AM

Cut off about 19mm from the drawtube, ground down the inside of the drawtube and inserted the adapter, not too bad.

first.jpg

• Jimceez likes this

#46 xvariablestarx

xvariablestarx

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 September 2021 - 11:24 PM

The views with the scope are rather dim compared with the 70mm refractor I have, so perhaps the problems with the scope are more serious than I can fix, but at least I tried.

#47 xvariablestarx

xvariablestarx

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 08 September 2021 - 11:41 AM

I am making one final attempt, putting in a new secondary mirror and moving the secondary mirror slightly towards the opening of the scope.

#48 xvariablestarx

xvariablestarx

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 September 2021 - 04:22 AM

I moved the secondary mirror stalk, a few millimeters towards the tube opening, and installed the new secondary mirror. I also center spotted the primary mirror, so I could get some indication of what was happening inside optically. Next I need a clear night so I can test on some stars. I am hopeful some improvement has been done with the scope.

#49 xvariablestarx

xvariablestarx

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 September 2021 - 03:29 PM

I got strange results with the Tasco. I can get good focus on a star, but trying to focus on something like the Moon ends up with muddy or blurry results.  I am putting the Tasco aside for now, until I get a brainwave about how to fix it.

One positive thing is that the star seemed brighter than with the old mirror, so perhaps I am on the right track.

#50 xvariablestarx

xvariablestarx

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 September 2021 - 06:08 PM

I moved the mirror as close as I could to the center of the tube. With the zoom eyepiece I could get the magnification to the maximum without the image dimming, at about 9mm, no sign of bands on Jupiter though

tasco1.jpg

I am running out of inspiration about how to fix the scope.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics