•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Trying Out EAA

Astrophotography Beginner EAA Imaging
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 tomlindquist

tomlindquist

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 July 2021 - 07:16 PM

A couple of nights ago I tried out EAA for the first time.   I used a f/5 newtonian with a 0.528x reducer yielding an f-ratio of f/2.8.  The camera was an SX UltrastarC guide camera and the software was SX StarlightLive.   The AVX mount was controlled by APT using plate solving.   This meant the two programs had to share the connected camera, and this seemed to work well provided I didn't try to have them both using the camera simultaneously, naturally.   The image consists of 4 x 10 second subs.

Despite the little glitches I kept running into on the first night trying something new the process went well.   I was happy with the results improving as I got more familiar with what I was trying to do.   I kept the Starlight Live program alive on the laptop when I was finished so I had my last object, M5, still alive after I was finished for the night.   This gave me the chance to study a little more on forums, particularly non-linear processing in Starlight Live.   I hope it's in the spirit of the rules to post this image here since it wasn't enhanced after the image was captured to a file for post processing.   Everything that was done to the image was done by Starlight Live and no intervening save of the file occurred.   I only converted it from a png to jpg file since I'm used to the jpg filetype.

The use of ArcsineH non-linear curving really made a big difference on the core region of the bright globular cluster M5 which was completely blown out in in the linear processing I started with.   I'm really pleased with the beginning progress I was able to make on my first night trying out EAA, and my friend I was showing the scope to enjoyed it as well.

Attached Thumbnails

• eaa-m5.ARCSINH.FINAL_2021.7.4_21.53.54.jpg

• russ75, alphatripleplus, roelb and 4 others like this

#2 terrypaula

terrypaula

Viking 1

Posted 05 July 2021 - 08:00 PM

You should try the Eastern Veil Nebula and the Crescent Nebula.  I was totally surprised by the ease I was able to capture both of them using an Ha modded T3i.  The Bow-tie Nebula was also a pleasant surprise.  As long you get a nice sharp focus, from my experiences.

What's difficult about capturing the Veil and Crescent Nebula's are capturing the waves behind them, truly a beautiful sight.  I'm still working on it, but I'm afraid it's a little beyond the concepts I have about EAA.

Ain't it fun though???

#3 tomlindquist

tomlindquist

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 July 2021 - 08:53 PM

Yes, Terry, it sure is fun.   Thanks for calling my attention to the Bow-tie Neb, I hadn't heard of that before and it looks interesting for this fall.   I ought to give it a try.   Eastern Veil and Crescent Nebs. are good objects and I'll probably want to try them EAA style and compare what I get to some AP style shots I've taken of them with this camera.  Thanks for the suggestions and ideas.   Clear Skies!

#4 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

World Controller

• Moderators
  • Loc: Georgia

Posted 06 July 2021 - 05:50 AM

Welcome to the EAA forum, and it's good to see someone else using StarlightLive with their SX cameras. (I still think it is the easiest EAA software to start with if you have a SX camera, and I used it almost exclusively with a Lodestar X2M).

#5 tomlindquist

tomlindquist

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 July 2021 - 11:04 AM

Thanks for the welcome.   I don't know if StarlightLive is the easiest for SX cameras as it's the only program I've tried EAA with, but it is an easy program to use.   I'm sure that Lodestar X2M was a good camera for EAA by all I've read.   Most of the literature regarding the Lodestar applies and is useful for the Ultrastar and other SX cameras regarding the use of StarlightLive and LodestarLive, its earlier version.

#6 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

World Controller

• Moderators
  • Loc: Georgia

Posted 06 July 2021 - 11:56 AM

Starlight Live/Lodestar Live was originally developed by Paul Shears and is now maintained by SX. Having used other EAA software like SharpCap and ASILive, I found Starlight Live to be the most intuitive and easy to use EAA software that I've tried to date. A number of nice features in Starlight Live, such as undoing the last sub in a stack, and removing hot pixels have also been incorporated in other newer EAA software programs like ASILIve.

In any case, Starlight Live is certainly a good place to start the EAA journey.

#7 tomlindquist

tomlindquist

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 July 2021 - 12:50 PM

Thanks for sharing your experience with other programs.   It's good to know I can happily stick with StarlightLive for a while and not go looking around for another EAA program.  Yes, "start the EAA journey" is very much how I feel! 

• alphatripleplus likes this

#8 tomlindquist

tomlindquist

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 July 2021 - 08:21 PM

Hi,   A few days later (the 12th) I made my second attempt at EAA under moderately smoky skies from the forrest fires.   Here are the resulting images taken with an 8" Newtonian with focal reducer 0.568x and an SX UltrastarC uncooled guide camera.   

Attached Thumbnails

• EAA m13_2021.7.12_23.12.16.jpg
  • EAA m57_2021.7.13_00.14.01.jpg
  • EAA m53_2021.7.12_23.39.19.jpg
  • EAA m56_2021.7.13_00.56.06.jpg
  • EAA m3_2021.7.12_22.21.59.jpg

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Astrophotography, Beginner, EAA, Imaging

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics