•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Stellarium & iOptron CEM60 Slew Hesitates or Fails

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 barbarosa

barbarosa

Gemini

• topic starter
  • Loc: 139 miles W of the Awahnee Hotel

Posted 06 July 2021 - 12:05 AM

There are three of us that I know of who are experiencing a problem initiating a slew in Stellarium. We are all using iOptron CEM60 mounts with the latest versions of Commander, firmware and ASCOM driver. One of us is running Windows 10 Pro, one Win 10 Home and one sometimes run Win8 or Win 10. All of us originally used Stellarium Scope, one of us has reverted to Stellarium Scope. The problem goes back at least one Stellarium revision.

The problem manifests when you select a target and initiate a slew, with the move mount dialog. Nothing happens, then when you give up and close the dialog box, the mount slews. Sometimes the keyboard short cut, cntrl 1 works, sometimes not. Occasionally closing Stellarium will start the slew. While waiting for the slew iOptron Commander does not show any failed messages.

Sometimes the problem occurs once and then not again during a session. Sometimes in a long session it will eventually reoccur.

The common behavior is that one or more  target slews, no matter how initiated either does not begin, begins after you close Stellarium or some routine in Stellarium is closed. One of us reports that sometimes a slew will stop before it reaches the target, then start again without any input and finish the slew.

The PCs are running Intel chipsets of different vintages, >5 years old, about 5 years old, and less than 2 years old. All of them have 16GB of memory.

The other astronomy software in use with Stellarium includes PHD2, SharpCap4 64 bit, ASI Studio and Astro Toaster. Two of us will sometimes use the hand controller to initiate a target go to, one of us does not.

Looking for an easy solution of course but failing that a suggestion on how to best bring this the Stellarium Team. 

None of us knows beans about C++ and we have no useful speculation to offer. It may be peculiar to the iOptron firmware or the iOptron Commander or the iOptron ASCOM driver. It is not from what I am told a problem with other mounts, but then we don't know everyone who has every other mount and uses Stellarium.

#2 Dynan

Dynan

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: NOLA

Posted 06 July 2021 - 12:49 AM

I went back to Stellarium 0.19.0 and Stellarium Scope. I couldn't get the CEM60 to sync with 0.21.0 either. Coincidence?

EDIT: I have a CEM60 (Non-EC)

Edited by Dynan, 06 July 2021 - 12:51 AM.

#3 barbarosa

barbarosa

Gemini

• topic starter
  • Loc: 139 miles W of the Awahnee Hotel

Posted 06 July 2021 - 04:03 AM

Dynan I think that this is starting to look like a genuine problem and not user error or coincidence.  I know a another couple of CEM60 owners from NightSkiesNetwork.com and I will ask them about the problem.  We soon may have enough people to form a gang  club with chapters in NOLA, PA, CA, NZ and I think South Africa too.

I will let this cook for a while and then if no better ideas are had I will email iOptron because it could be a driver problem and also try to get the attention of Mr. Wolf or one of the other Stellarium group.

• Dynan likes this

#4 Bob Denny

Bob Denny

Vendor (DC-3 Dreams)

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Mesa AZ USA

Posted 06 July 2021 - 01:27 PM

Try using the ASCOM DeviceHub diagnostic tool. It is part of the ASCOM Platform (Start Menu > ASCOM Platform > Scope-Dome Hubs). You insert it between Stellarium and the iOptron driver. Tell Stellarium to use Device Hub as its telescope then tell Device Hub to use iOptron as its telescope. Then reproduce the problem. You will see exactly the sequence and timing of the universal function calls made by Stellarium and the responses from iOptron. It makes a log you can use to go from there. DeviceHub comes with extensive help.

#5 gzotti

gzotti

Stellarium

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Vienna, Austria

Posted 06 July 2021 - 02:07 PM

I am afraid we two Stellarium devs are fully dependent on user provided patches or solutions when it comes to ASCOM. In particular, none of us has a CEM60, and ASCOM (6.4) support was also contributed by one of you. Maybe something broke with ASCOM 6.5?  Bob Denny's hint sounds very interesting for computer affine users willing to solve, not avoid, a possible problem.

• Dynan likes this

#6 larryjh

larryjh

Vostok 1

• Loc: Marriottsville, MD, USA

Posted 12 July 2021 - 09:23 PM

I experienced what may be the same problem with my CEM26.  Bottom line is that I was able to fix it by reducing the "load" on Stellarium by reducing the number of things displayed.  See these discussions:

https://www.cloudyni...mputer-control/

https://www.cloudyni...-control-fails/

• Dynan likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics