•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Jupiter and the GRS July 6, 2021

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Special Ed

Special Ed

Voyager 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Greenbrier County, WV 38N, 80W

Posted 06 July 2021 - 02:04 PM

Hey,

Trying to take advantage of the run of decent seeing we've had lately, I headed out again this morning--this time to look at Jupiter.  With Luna out of the picture, I had planned to look at some deep sky stuff, but the smoke from the wildfires out west has arrived here and put the transparency in the tank.

Anyway, I did a little previewing and saw that the Great Red Spot would be transiting at 5:14 local.  I have only caught glimpses of the GRS on the limb so far this apparition and was curious to see it so I planned accordingly.

I wasn't disappointed.  It's not as dark red as it used to be but was still plenty noticeable as it rotated in from the limb around 3:30 am local time.  It seems a little bigger than it was last apparition--anyone else notice that? 

As it rotated closer to the central meridian, I could see lots of activity preceding and following the giant storm.  The seeing was good--my sketch doesn't do justice to all the detail visible. 

I saw festoons extending into the Equatorial Zone from the south edge of the NEB for the first time this apparition.  They've been there but hard to see against the changes in the appearance of the EZ.  They were best seen with the W11 (yellow-green) filter.  That big bright spot just following the GRS really stood out, too.  Other notes are with the sketch.

It's hard for me to do a color sketch with so much detail and Jupiter rotating so fast so I stuck with graphite--2B and HB pencils and a stump.  I did the sketch at the eyepiece from 0848 to 0908 UT (4:48-5:08 local) and cleaned it up later at the house.

It was quiet at the observatory this morning--no sign of any critters except for the barred owls carrying on in the woods--just the way I like it.  smile.gif

2021-07-06-0858-MR-W11-CMII351.jpg

• Dave Mitsky, Vlad, frank5817 and 14 others like this

#2 frank5817

frank5817

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Mesa, Arizona

Posted 06 July 2021 - 02:35 PM

Michael,

A very fine sketch of Jupiter and nice detail recorded.

Frank :)

• mdowns likes this

#3 Aquarellia

Aquarellia

Gemini

• Loc: Artignosc, Provence, France

Posted 06 July 2021 - 03:24 PM

At first I was thinking the date of this sketch must be 1821, and made from a big observatory lol.gif

A great bravo for this lovely vintage sketch 

Michel

Edited by Aquarellia, 06 July 2021 - 03:25 PM.

#4 nibiru711

nibiru711

Explorer 1

Posted 06 July 2021 - 03:45 PM

What telescope did  you use to get this sketch. Last night was good here to on Jupiter. I could go up to a 7mm eyepiece without losing clarity on Jupiter with an 8 inch reflector. I could at times make out 8 to 10 bands on Jupiter the grate red spot and a couple of festoons but not as good as the sketch you drew. 

#5 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators
  • Loc: PA, USA, Planet Earth

Posted 06 July 2021 - 07:08 PM

That's an excellent sketch, Special Ed.

#6 Special Ed

Special Ed

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 06 July 2021 - 08:37 PM

Frank, thank you.  I'm starting to get my chops back--and I got lucky with the seeing.  smile.gif

Michel, thank you!  What a nice compliment.  flowerred.gif

Dave, thanks--much appreciated.  

What telescope did  you use to get this sketch. Last night was good here to on Jupiter. I could go up to a 7mm eyepiece without losing clarity on Jupiter with an 8 inch reflector. I could at times make out 8 to 10 bands on Jupiter the grate red spot and a couple of festoons but not as good as the sketch you drew. 

nibiru711,

I used a Celestron C14 (35cm SCT) with a focal ratio of f/11.  That gives me the ability to have high resolution at high magnification--if the seeing allows.  Which it did.  Also, I used an atmospheric dispersion corrector (ADC) which gives a real advantage when observing planets below 60 degrees altitude.

I'm guessing your reflector scope is ~f/4.5 which yields a magnification of 129x with your 7mm eyepiece.  Low power is good on the gas giants but it's never going to give you the kind of resolution I can get with the C14 when seeing is good.

I used a Celestron C8 f/10 to observe Jupiter for years before I got the C14.  I got pleasing, detailed views of Jupiter around 200x-250x, but not anything like the color and resolution I get with the C14 (when the seeing is good).

If you have a barlow, try to bump up your magnification to 200x-250x.  That's about the maximum that Jupiter can usefully take under most seeing conditions  Be sure your collimation is spot on.  Good luck!

• Sol Robbins, Aquarellia and Old Speckled Hen like this

#7 niteskystargazer

niteskystargazer

Cosmos

• Loc: 41-43'-28" N 87-42'-39" W

Posted 07 July 2021 - 03:45 PM

Michael,

Nice sketch of Jupiter and the GRS (On July 6, 2021) smile.gif .

CS,KLU,

thanx.gif ,

Tom

#8 Special Ed

Special Ed

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 08 July 2021 - 06:40 AM

Thanks, Tom.  smile.gif

#9 mdowns

mdowns

Soyuz

• Moderators
  • Loc: SW,FL

Posted 11 July 2021 - 12:06 PM

In looking for current comments  on your thread I realized I must have not hit 'post' with a comment 5 or 6 days ago.It's always a pleasure to view your drawings as well as being entertained by your comments and critters.You said barred owls and I instantly imagined  the 'who cooks for you,who cooks for youoooooooooooooooo' call they make.

#10 Special Ed

Special Ed

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 11 July 2021 - 02:31 PM

Michael,

Thanks for the nice comment.  Yep, that's their call.  smile.gif

• mdowns likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics