•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Ganymede Will Be Eclipsed on Wednesday Morning

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators
  • topic starter
  • Loc: PA, USA, Planet Earth

Posted 06 July 2021 - 08:30 PM

Ganymede will disappear into eclipse not long after midnight (4:00 UT) on Wednesday morning.  It will be occulted by Jupiter about four hours later.

https://skyandtelesc...cript-utility/#

04:36 UT, Ganymede enters eclipse by Jupiter's shadow.
08:16 UT, Ganymede exits eclipse by Jupiter's shadow.
08:40 UT, Ganymede enters occultation behind Jupiter.

• maroubra_boy, AstroFrankMontana, ngc7319_20 and 2 others like this

#2 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators
  • topic starter

Posted 06 July 2021 - 11:13 PM

Here's a screenshot from Stellarium showing Ganymede, the largest Jovian satellite, growing dimmer as it's being eclipsed.  Callisto lies to the far left of Europa.

Attached Thumbnails

• Ganymede Going into Eclipse 7-7-21 Stellarium.JPG

#3 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators
  • topic starter

Posted 07 July 2021 - 12:57 AM

I watched Ganymede being eclipsed using an 8-24mm Tele Vue Click Stop zoom and the 6" f/8 Orion SkyQuest XT6 that I keep in my garage for casual observing.  I was no longer able to see the Jovian satellite around 4:43 UT. 

Wildfire smoke made the transparency very poor.  I was barely able to see Saturn without optical aid.

https://www.ospo.noa.../currenthms.jpg

#4 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators
  • topic starter

Posted 07 July 2021 - 02:19 AM

Here's a shot of the Orion XT6 Dob and my observing buddy Buddy Bear and his telescope.  I had to move the XT6 to a spot to the left of the driveway to be able to see Jupiter.  Fortunately, I have a fairly good but limited southern horizon.

Attached Thumbnails

• Orion XT6 and Buddy Bear Large IMG_6192.jpg

• Special Ed and Voyager 3 like this

#5 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators
  • topic starter

Posted 07 July 2021 - 02:32 AM

I took this photo of Jupiter (left) and Saturn (to lower right of center) about a half an hour later using my iPhone in Night Mode.  The wildfire smoke made it very hard to see more than first-magnitude or brighter objects naked-eye.  It was difficult to detect Titan through the telescope.

Attached Thumbnails

• Jupiter and Saturn 7-7-21 IMG_6196 Processed.jpg

#6 Redbetter

Redbetter

Voyager 1

• Loc: Central Valley, CA

Posted 09 July 2021 - 01:16 AM

The fun part was on the other side, watching Ganymede emerge from the eclipse before it would be occulted by the planet's limb nearby.  It is an advantage of Ganymede being so distant that this was visible.  I did this during a break in DSO viewing, because I had checked for eclipses and transits in advance.  

Ganymede is large enough that the resultant shape of the disk as it emerged was apparent in the 20" despite mediocre seeing at the time.  Being so close to the planet actually helped in resolving the specific shape of the disk.  A first as it appeared it looked like a thin vertical segment, then growing in size of the arc and width of the segment with a near linear terminator, until it became a half moon, then 3/4 moon with a segment missing (rather than the familiar gibbous) before becoming circular again.

• Dave Mitsky, Special Ed and tommy10 like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics