•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Adapting Canon drop-in 52mm filter holder to 48mm

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 T~Stew

T~Stew

Vanguard

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: central Ohio

Posted 07 July 2021 - 08:30 PM

So to maximize my current photography gear before I take the dive into telescopes I have been putting some good imaging time into my Canon 500mm lens lately and want to utilize the fact that I can mount filters in it. For future compatibility I wanted to stick to the 48mm standard, though I have seen some offerings in 52mm and wonder if I should have just went that route. Anyhow, I remember reading online that adapting it to 48mm had been done a couple times, but I can't seem to find any of those pages now I am trying to get the details.

So far I have bought the 52mm screw type drop-in, the 52 to 48 adapter (threaded all the way through), and a 48mm NBZ. The combo as expected is too wide to fit in the slot. I remember reading that the adapter has to be cut down so basically it wont protrude beyond the original 52mm threads. How does one cut down such a thin adapter? Would seem impossible to get enough precision from a saw, maybe face it against a sanding disk? Buy another cheap 48mm and 52mm filters or something to thread into the adapter to keep the threads sealed during sanding? What would be the best practice to get this thing shaved down to size?

• galacticinsomnia likes this

#2 galacticinsomnia

galacticinsomnia

Gemini

• Loc: Pacific Northwest - Oregon

Posted 07 July 2021 - 10:08 PM

You just use what is called the 52mm Reverse Adapter for EOS, if you are using EOS, and then a 52 to 48 step down adapter, then just screw in the 2" nose piece or whatever.  Works fine. smile.gif  The 48mm is M48x1mm thread, and I think the thread is normally .75mm, but there are so few threads it really works fine, and is quite stable.  If you want it to set it up to last forever, just use some JB Weld on the threads and attachment surfaces.  I'm finishing up my two adapters for EOS-M so I can use my lenses with the Filter Drawer, and bonus, it ends up being the right distance of an actual T-adapter. 

That for me though, is for using a Canon M, however, you should be able to get infinity focus etc if you are within a few millimeters, just need to make sure you can reach what you require for backfocus.

So for the trimming and stuff, I just mounted my dremel on a piece of wood and use a caliper to measure the distance I needed.  A picture is worth a thousand words. lol

I don't know if I answered your question.

2021-07-07_200159.jpg

Clear skies !!

#3 galacticinsomnia

galacticinsomnia

Gemini

Posted 07 July 2021 - 10:15 PM

So to maximize my current photography gear before I take the dive into telescopes I have been putting some good imaging time into my Canon 500mm lens lately and want to utilize the fact that I can mount filters in it. For future compatibility I wanted to stick to the 48mm standard, though I have seen some offerings in 52mm and wonder if I should have just went that route. Anyhow, I remember reading online that adapting it to 48mm had been done a couple times, but I can't seem to find any of those pages now I am trying to get the details.

So far I have bought the 52mm screw type drop-in, the 52 to 48 adapter (threaded all the way through), and a 48mm NBZ. The combo as expected is too wide to fit in the slot. I remember reading that the adapter has to be cut down so basically it wont protrude beyond the original 52mm threads. How does one cut down such a thin adapter? Would seem impossible to get enough precision from a saw, maybe face it against a sanding disk? Buy another cheap 48mm and 52mm filters or something to thread into the adapter to keep the threads sealed during sanding? What would be the best practice to get this thing shaved down to size?

Geeze, I'm sorry, I really thought you were trying to do something else :p  Didn't realize you were talking about the Drop in filters for your lens.  For that, I did see someone had Printed a holder which should work perfect.

I don't remember where, but I think there are plans for your holder.

Good Luck and Clear Skies !!

#4 T~Stew

T~Stew

Vanguard

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 07 July 2021 - 11:33 PM

Thanks galactic... I already have all the parts I need I just need to figure out how to accurately shave the adapter ring down to half. I've seen it done and thought I bookmarked it but can't for the life of me find it in a search (to ask what methods they used to cut it). Your dremel tool idea looks good but i wonder if it will be precise enough and not damage the threads that its cutting through - need to be able to use the threads after the shaving.

#5 T~Stew

T~Stew

Vanguard

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 07 July 2021 - 11:52 PM

I should've attached picture... here is the drop-in screw filter holder and adapter. I just need to shave that adapter in half, like take off all the smooth non-threaded part you see there where it says Bower. Its about 5mm thick, need to reduce thickness by about 2mm or so... IMG_0107.jpg

#6 FrostByte

FrostByte

Soyuz

• Moderators
  • Loc: Upper Peninsula of Michigan

Posted 08 July 2021 - 09:54 AM

I have a friend that did that very thing.. cut down the non-threaded part of a 52-48mm stepdown ring, and that allowed him to insert it into a Canon filter drawer. He used a fine-toothed thin hacksaw to cut just above the shoulder, and then finished with a file. You do need a stepdown that is fully threaded, which it appears yours is. Now he can thread the filter into the stepdown ring and then thread it into the Canon adapter.

#7 T~Stew

T~Stew

Vanguard

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 08 July 2021 - 02:05 PM

I have a friend that did that very thing.. cut down the non-threaded part of a 52-48mm stepdown ring, and that allowed him to insert it into a Canon filter drawer. He used a fine-toothed thin hacksaw to cut just above the shoulder, and then finished with a file. You do need a stepdown that is fully threaded, which it appears yours is. Now he can thread the filter into the stepdown ring and then thread it into the Canon adapter.

I think I may be talking to your friend, a 500mm canon user as well, in Michigan? I found him on ioptron group on fb and just messaged him, said basically what you say about hacksaw. I forgot they make those small crafts & jewelry hacksaws so that may work.

Anyhow another photo for reference...

500_filtermod1.jpg

#8 FrostByte

FrostByte

Soyuz

• Moderators

Posted 08 July 2021 - 02:39 PM

Small world! Yeah, that sounds like him. I sold him my l-enhance filter when I picked up a mono DSLR, and he adapted it to work in the filter drawer for his 500mm lens.

• T~Stew likes this

#9 galacticinsomnia

galacticinsomnia

Gemini

Posted 08 July 2021 - 06:00 PM

I think I may be talking to your friend, a 500mm canon user as well, in Michigan? I found him on ioptron group on fb and just messaged him, said basically what you say about hacksaw. I forgot they make those small crafts & jewelry hacksaws so that may work.

Anyhow another photo for reference...

attachicon.gif500_filtermod1.jpg

Seeing what it is you have to do, I would most likely take it to a belt sander and grind down by hand.  I think the saw idea is great, but I think that is a lot harder to get a clean straight cut anyways.  Maybe could screw into something bigger so you can get a good grip on it.

Good luck. 

Clear Skies !!

• T~Stew likes this

#10 T~Stew

T~Stew

Vanguard

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 July 2021 - 03:41 PM

Mission accomplished. Not sure if it was the best or easiest way, but it wasn't too hard. I purchased a jewelers mini hacksaw on amazon, think it was $20 along with a couple $5 adapter rings to help hold the piece (one was sacrificial the other untouched). I clamped it into the plastic clamp built into this large rolling toolcase I have, set it on my deck and worked out in the breeze and fresh air. Slowly and carefully cutting a slot all the way around. Took maybe 30-45 minutes. I left a tiny bit of shoulder from the non-threaded part of the adapter to give it more integrity and threads. But it was just a hair too much. It wouldn't easily fit unless I forced it in. From there I sanded it on a piece of fine grit sandpaper on flat surface. It's still a little snug, but hopefully that will be ok. If I see any weird distortions from a little pressure on the filter then I guess I'll sand it down just a we bit more.

IMG_20210713_114850-1080.jpg

IMG_20210713_115322-1080.jpg

ttbU5mRh.jpg

Dumb question... but since this is the first time using a narrowband filter, are they directional?

Edited by T~Stew, 13 July 2021 - 03:44 PM.

#11 FrostByte

FrostByte

Soyuz

• Moderators

Posted 13 July 2021 - 07:17 PM

Nice job! The l-enhance is not… I have no direct experience with your filter, but I suspect you’ll be fine. Is it threaded both sides, or on just one side of the glass?
  • T~Stew likes this

#12 galacticinsomnia

galacticinsomnia

Gemini

Posted 13 July 2021 - 08:58 PM

Mission accomplished. Not sure if it was the best or easiest way, but it wasn't too hard. I purchased a jewelers mini hacksaw on amazon, think it was $20 along with a couple $5 adapter rings to help hold the piece (one was sacrificial the other untouched). I clamped it into the plastic clamp built into this large rolling toolcase I have, set it on my deck and worked out in the breeze and fresh air. Slowly and carefully cutting a slot all the way around. Took maybe 30-45 minutes. I left a tiny bit of shoulder from the non-threaded part of the adapter to give it more integrity and threads. But it was just a hair too much. It wouldn't easily fit unless I forced it in. From there I sanded it on a piece of fine grit sandpaper on flat surface. It's still a little snug, but hopefully that will be ok. If I see any weird distortions from a little pressure on the filter then I guess I'll sand it down just a we bit more.

attachicon.gifIMG_20210713_114850-1080.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_20210713_115322-1080.jpg

ttbU5mRh.jpg

Dumb question... but since this is the first time using a narrowband filter, are they directional?

Lenhance works fine either way.. congrats on completeting your mission !!  That is really awesome.

Clear Skies !!

• T~Stew likes this

#13 T~Stew

T~Stew

Vanguard

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 July 2021 - 10:00 PM

Nice job! The l-enhance is not… I have no direct experience with your filter, but I suspect you’ll be fine. Is it threaded both sides, or on just one side of the glass?

Just one side, the other is textured for finger grip. But the drop in filter holder can be put in either direction.

#14 piaras

piaras

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Niagara Region

Posted 14 July 2021 - 04:43 PM

Geeze, I'm sorry, I really thought you were trying to do something else tongue2.gif  Didn't realize you were talking about the Drop in filters for your lens.  For that, I did see someone had Printed a holder which should work perfect.

I don't remember where, but I think there are plans for your holder.

Good Luck and Clear Skies !!

The is a stl file for that holder.
The filter holder that I print are for the Dropin Filter Mount Adapter that is sold for the Canon R series. Similar but not compatible. There are a couple others who have done so as well for their R series cameras.
Pierre

Attached Thumbnails

• D50B3D0C-805A-4514-92EC-C4FFF38322BF.jpeg

#15 T~Stew

T~Stew

Vanguard

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 July 2021 - 11:28 PM

The filter holder that I print are for the Dropin Filter Mount Adapter that is sold for the Canon R series. Similar but not compatible. There are a couple others who have done so as well for their R series cameras.
Pierre

Yes, I have thought about getting into mirrorless for that very reason. But I'll likely stick with the cameras I have, they all work very well and the 300mm f2.8 and 500 f4 lenses both have drop in holders already. Yours looks very slick though, nice! Would have been so much simpler if Canon didn't make the filter slots so darn narrow.

#16 galacticinsomnia

galacticinsomnia

Gemini

Posted 15 July 2021 - 01:12 AM

Pierre

Sorry for my misunderstanding. A friend had printed me a lens adapter for a 70-200mm lens, and the sheer weight and stress just broke it off right in the middle of the print.  That was not a drop in filter that was made for me, it was a complete mount. 

I love the idea of printing these sliders.. Way Cool !!

Do you have the plans posted somewhere ?  I just finished my own mod with a Starizona slider.  Made it EOS-M to EOS-S and got focus to infinity but couldn't get it to work with the M6 because of the Hand grip.  A measurement I failed to take. lol

It's okay though, I took apart a 30.00 EOS-M to EOS adapter, and gutted it, and now the filter just sits comfy inside and no worries about the thing breaking. 

Thank you for your contributions !!

Clear Skies !!

#17 Catchlight

Catchlight

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 24 February 2024 - 02:05 AM

I have the same dilemma using my Canon 600/4, but was instead considering replacing the glass in a 52mm Canon Protect drop-in filter with an Astronomik CLS filter. The Canon filter glass is 48mm in diameter, and I see Astronomik makes a 50mm mounted CLS filter for use in filter wheels. Any idea what the actual diameter of the glass might be? If the mounted filter is 50mm, then I would expect the glass to be pretty close to 48...

filter

Edited by Catchlight, 24 February 2024 - 03:01 AM.

#18 piaras

piaras

Surveyor 1

Posted 24 February 2024 - 08:47 AM

I can not speak about the 50mm filters but the regular 2” filters come in two sizes. For example the Lumicon Deep Sky that I have is 1.767”. My IDAS, Astronomik, and Optolong measure 1.870”

#19 Catchlight

Catchlight

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 24 February 2024 - 09:45 AM

I can not speak about the 50mm filters but the regular 2” filters come in two sizes. For example the Lumicon Deep Sky that I have is 1.767”. My IDAS, Astronomik, and Optolong measure 1.870”

Thanks, that's helpful, I assume that measurement is the outside diameter including the metal mount. Would you mind measuring the inside diameter of a 1.87", that is the actual diameter of the glass? That should at least give me an approximate thickness of the mount on the 50mm filter.

#20 piaras

piaras

Surveyor 1

Posted 24 February 2024 - 03:11 PM

These measurements are the actual glass filters. I remove them from their cells and place them into my 3D printed holders.

Pierre

#21 Catchlight

Catchlight

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 24 February 2024 - 11:08 PM

These measurements are the actual glass filters. I remove them from their cells and place them into my 3D printed holders.

Pierre

Thank you Pierre, then it seems the 2" glass is about one millimeter too small. The original filter glass is 48.92mm and the filter holder opening is 47.94mm while your 2" filter is 47.5mm. I think I will contact Astronomik directly and see if they can advise. But at least I have a better idea of what I need.

#22 Catchlight

Catchlight

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 26 February 2024 - 10:27 AM

I have the same dilemma using my Canon 600/4, but was instead considering replacing the glass in a 52mm Canon Protect drop-in filter with an Astronomik CLS filter. The Canon filter glass is 48mm in diameter, and I see Astronomik makes a 50mm mounted CLS filter for use in filter wheels. Any idea what the actual diameter of the glass might be? If the mounted filter is 50mm, then I would expect the glass to be pretty close to 48...

Problem solved, Astronomik sells an M52 filter as well.

Edited by Catchlight, 26 February 2024 - 10:31 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics