•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Comet C/2017 K2 (PANSTARRS) July 3, 2021

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 russ75

russ75

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Edmond, Oklahoma USA

Posted 09 July 2021 - 11:08 AM

I caught Comet C/2017 K2 (PANSTARRS) on the night of July 3rd during an EAA session in my light-polluted backyard.

At the time, the comet was being reported as magnitude 13. In this image, however, it appears much dimmer than some magnitude 13 stars that are in the field of view.  I suspect this may be caused by the UV/IR cut filter I had rigged in the camera for a Jupiter imaging session a few hours later (I use my ZWOASI224MC primarily for planetary imaging).

C/2017 K2 (PANSTARRS) won’t reach perihelion until December 2022 so it will be around for a while. It’s projected to brighten significantly as it moves closer to the Sun. 

It might be an interesting target for anyone interested in including solar system objects in their EAA observations.

Details:
July 4,2021 03:50:15 UT
Celestron C8 (203mm F10) at F4.8 (stacked Celestron 0.63 and Meade 0.33 focal reducers).
FOV 17.4’x13.0’
3 @ 31.5 sec

Image resized, compressed, labeled.

Click here for an animated view (cropped, resized, background levels adjusted slightly). The animation covers a 33 minute period.

Comet C/2017 K2 (PANSTARRS) July 4, 2021

Stellarium shows Comet C/2017 K2 (PANSTARRS) moving across Hercules from mid-july through September 1st.

c2017k2panstarrs 071521 090121 2330L stellarium

• RNSpeed, eros312, Ljubo and 11 others like this

#2 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

World Controller

• Moderators
  • Loc: Georgia

Posted 09 July 2021 - 02:43 PM

Thanks for starting the topic. It looks like we will have this target around for quite a while.

• russ75 and Tfer like this

#3 russ75

russ75

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 July 2021 - 04:59 PM

Errol,

My camera is not the best for this sort of thing. I'm hoping that others who can see deeper can get a better view of this guy. Might be a good object for the August challenge?

Edited by russ75, 09 July 2021 - 05:02 PM.

#4 MunichAtNight

MunichAtNight

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Munich - Germany

Posted 11 July 2021 - 05:26 AM

Hello!

How did you manage to see C/2017 K2 within Stellarium? I did upgrade to Stellarium 0.21.1 and all "catalogues" are loaded and updated. In the search windows ( F3 ) I see a list with C/2011 KP36 (SPACEWATCH) up to C/2019 Y4 (ATLAS) but no C/2017 K2! Any idea, help and hint is welcome! Thanks!

MunichAtNight - Ewald

#5 russ75

russ75

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 July 2021 - 04:27 PM

Hi Ewald,

C/2017 K2 (PANSTARRS) isn't in Stellarium's pre-loaded comet database. You need to import the orbital elements to add it to the database.

Here's how you do it:

1. From the configuration window, select plugins.

2. Select Solar System Editor.

3. Select Configure then click on the Solar System tab.

4. From the Solar System tab push the Import Orbital Elements in MPC Format bar, then select Comets.

5. From the Import Data page, select "online search" tab.

6. In the online search box type in "C/2017 K2" (search is case sensitive).

7. Check the box that appears for C/2017 K2 (PANSTARRS).

8. Push the "Add Objects" bar.  The orbital elements for C/2017 K2 (PANSTARRS) will be added to the Stellarium comet database. You can now use Stellarium's search window to search for C/2017 K2 just like any other object.

I hope this helps.

Edited by russ75, 11 July 2021 - 04:33 PM.

• robglinka and MunichAtNight like this

#6 Cey42

Cey42

Vostok 1

• Loc: Kirkland, WA

Posted 11 July 2021 - 06:39 PM

Thank you so much for these instructions. They worked for me. I was wondering how you got it into Stellarium.

#7 MunichAtNight

MunichAtNight

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Munich - Germany

Posted 13 July 2021 - 05:05 PM

Hi Ewald .... I hope this helps.

Hello Russ!

thank you! This worked perfect! I am again astonished what Stellarium is able to do! It is such a great and wonderful software and remembered me that I wanted always to support the stellarium team and donate some money to them! Some time ago I found the link and I used it today to donate some money!

Kind regards! MunichAtNight - Ewald

#8 russ75

russ75

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 July 2021 - 05:35 PM

Hi Ewald and Cey,

You are very welcome. Glad the instructions worked for you. I hope you can use Stellarium to find some comets to post here.

Just a word of caution. If you are going to use Stellarium to drive your telescope to a particular comet or asteroid, even one in Stellarium's pre-loaded database, make sure you update the orbital elements before relying Stellarium to generate the correct coordinates.

I found this out the hard way a few nights ago when trying to find a asteroid (5) Astraea. The asteroid was in the pre-loaded database, but I did not update the orbital elements before the observing session. I used Stellarium's coordinates to slew the telescope, and then plate-solved for precise centering. The plate-solver did its job and centered me on the given coordinates. I happily imaged for about 30 minutes thinking the asteroid was in the center of the fov. It turns out, the asteroid was not in the field of view.

Later, I compared the Stellarium's coordinates with coordinates from the Minor Planet Center. Stellarium's coordinates were off by approximately 1 minute in RA and 1 minute in Dec.  Stellarium's coordinates for Comet C/2017 K2 (PANSTARRS), however, were spot on with the MPC's. I had just recently loaded the most current orbital elements for it when I added it to the Stellarium Comet database.

Edited by russ75, 13 July 2021 - 05:37 PM.

• roelb likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics