•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Anyone try Maven 7x28 or Nikon 7x50 oceanpro

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Blue72

Blue72

Messenger

• topic starter
  • Loc: Long Island, NY

Posted 09 July 2021 - 03:24 PM

I’m a fan of 7x binoculars, so I pulled the trigger on the Nikon oceanpro 7x50 with 7.2 FOV

and I have a opportunity to pick up a Maven 7x28 for cheap

any user experience on these ?

thanks in advance

#2 SMark

SMark

Aurora

• Loc: Clay County, AL USA

Posted 09 July 2021 - 04:40 PM

The Oceanpro gets good reviews. It has very long eye relief, if you happen to wear glasses.

• Blue72 likes this

#3 ECP M42

ECP M42

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: central Europe 45°N

Posted 09 July 2021 - 05:14 PM

The Maven also has good eye relief, but reading some reviews, it's limited to 67mm IPD! The frame is made of polymer, so it is light and compact, but perhaps the quality of the lenses is not the best. Interesting with the central focus and a 4mm pupil.

#4 astrohamp

astrohamp

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Massachusetts

Posted 09 July 2021 - 05:15 PM

I just picked up the Maven C.2  10x28 version.  Single handed one finger focus possible. Thumb recesses for positive hold. Adjustable eye cups and the neck strap is huge so made my own lanyard.  Possibly some barrel distortion and only able to 'star test' on the 4th fireworks some miles away due to the unseasonable bad weather.  Fantastic birder with good very near field focus although much of what we watch needs big guns at 100x for close ups...to see their eyes blink.

Happy with the compromise to size, price, and very little on the performance although I do not have much competition to compare with.

• Blue72 likes this

#5 astronomus1930

astronomus1930

Explorer 1

Posted 10 July 2021 - 07:41 AM

The Ocean Pro are a fine set of binoculars- crisp, bright images across nearly the whole FOV and they feel good in the hands.

I think you will enjoy them.

Clear Skies!

• Blue72 likes this

#6 Blue72

Blue72

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 11 July 2021 - 08:31 PM

Recieved the oceanpro today and go figure. The weather forecast is cloudy until the foreseeable future. Hopefully the sky opens up before the return policy ends

I ordered the mavens I should have them this week as well

#7 Blue72

Blue72

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 14 July 2021 - 10:10 PM

Review on both of these purchases

Maven 7x28

-These have a feel of really well built binoculars and I owned a lot of binoculars over the years.
- these are very comfortable to look through. So comfortable I never felt tired looking through them handheld, they felt like a natural part of my vision. I contribute this to the 7x magnification which are more stable then 8x and the 4 mm exit pupil which is rare to see in pocket binoculars
- These binoculars are compact enough to fit in my pockets. Yes they fill the pocket but they lay flat and don’t hamper my mobility. I like the flat design over trifold pocket binoculars which cause a uncomfortable bulge in your pocket
- The optics are sharp and the colors are very neutral. Which many like. I normally prefer the warm saturated colors you see through Nikons, but the mavens are more true to real life. Although the Nikon feel slightly more three dimensional. The main reason I prefer the maven is the stable view of 7x. I can’t stress enough how much better 7x is compared to 8x for long term handholding
- Overlooking my beach I could easily see people and dogs over a mile away. While image scale is smaller then my 10x binoculars. The stable views make it easier to observe them
- These will primarily be my travel binoculars. With the 7x28 only costing $200. I won’t cry as much if they get stolen, like my last pocket binoculars that was swiped from me.
- Even though these are pocket binoculars, they perform way better in the dark compared to other 8x25 binoculars I’ve tried
- Focus wheel is a pleasure to use, a little to quick. But you adjust to the speed over time. Plus with 7x, depth of field is greater so less adjustment is needed after you set it.
- I believe Maven is very conservative on field of view because they seem wider then other binoculars I have with the same advertised field of view
- Putting these binoculars on a monopod and you swear they are on a tripod, another benefit of 7x.
- There is some distortion in the lens, but center is sharp and ÇA is low.
- Best pocket binocular I ever used for astronomy. I could see the nebula in Cygnus and all the fine dim stars in the milky way galaxy. I was not expecting that.

Nikon Oceanpro 7x50

- built like a tank, weighs as much as one too!
- sharp and pretty flat to the edges, nice field of view for a 7x50
- focus wheel is crazy tiny, but since the depth of view is so great. Adjustments are rarely needed
- to much eye relief, people with glasses would love it. I wish these had adjustable eye cups. The standard ones are to much and when flapped down are not enough
- I live on Long Island (outside of New York City) where light pollution is bad. I was constantly told 7x50 are not good for light polluted skies. I have to disagree these clearly out perform my 7x35 and make the stars have diamond like sparkles similar to my 10x50 binoculars, but without the shakes and better FOV
- not only are these heavy but they are big. Not sure I would use these for anything except astronomy
- I wish I bought these sooner. They are the ideal astronomy binocular for me. No shakes, stars are bright, relaxing to use. 
-highly recommend these, well deserved of the reputation they have
- I think after using these, my 10x50 will be reserved as loaner binoculars

I’m really impressed with both of these purchases

Edited by dd61999, 14 July 2021 - 10:10 PM.

• SMark likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics