•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

July's Conjunction of Venus and Mars

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#26 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators
  • topic starter
  • Loc: PA, USA, Planet Earth

Posted 14 July 2021 - 03:41 AM

I took this shot a few minutes later.

Attached Thumbnails

• Venus 2 iPhone 7-13-21 IMG_6341 Processed Resized 900.jpg

• Magellanico, chrysalis and TheUser like this

#27 ssmith

ssmith

Viking 1

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 14 July 2021 - 10:37 AM

It seems that many were struggling with clouds for the conjunction. Here in Colorado not only have the clouds from our July Monsoon weather pattern been playing havoc with visibility, but the smoke plumes from the western wildfires have added insult to injury.  Here is a photo of the conjunction from the 12th with Mars being barely able to penetrate the smoke in the early twilight.  I was hoping for better conditions on the 13th but it was a total washout.

Venus-Mars 45mm 7-12-21 039g edit.jpg

• Dave Mitsky, Special Ed, Magellanico and 5 others like this

#28 Bill Barlow

Bill Barlow

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Overland Park KS

Posted 14 July 2021 - 11:07 AM

I got to see this conjunction for the second evening in a row with the 3” Tak DCU.  Used the C5 the previous night.  But sky conditions weren’t as good as the previous evening with more smoke and a few clouds along the western horizon.  Used the 10 mm and 7mm XW eyepieces.  But still a nice view.

Bill

#29 vdog

vdog

Vanguard

• Loc: California Central Valley, U.S.A.

Posted 14 July 2021 - 11:16 AM

I managed to get both in the FOV at 50x magnification in my 120 refractor, but only for about 20 minutes as by the time it got dark enough both planets just barely cleared the roof of my garage.  Considering I was looking low on the horizon right over a hot roof, the view wasn't that bad.

Mars is so far away I was unable to detect it naked eye before it dropped too low for me to see at all.

• Thomas Marshall likes this

#30 B 26354

B 26354

Vanguard

• Loc: Southern California semi-desert (NELM mag 5.3)

Posted 14 July 2021 - 12:33 PM

I managed to get both in the FOV at 50x magnification in my 120 refractor, but only for about 20 minutes as by the time it got dark enough both planets just barely cleared the roof of my garage.  Considering I was looking low on the horizon right over a hot roof, the view wasn't that bad.

Mars is so far away I was unable to detect it naked eye before it dropped too low for me to see at all.

I was able to just barely detect Mars naked-eye on the evening of Sunday the 11th, shortly after 9pm... right after I took the photo in post #13. The subsequent evenings have all been clear... but a bit hazier than Sunday... and I wasn't able to see it naked-eye on any of those evenings.

• vdog likes this

#31 REC

REC

Voyager 1

• Loc: NC

Posted 14 July 2021 - 02:52 PM

Smoke got me last night all the way up to 6,000 feet, but tonight I was able to catch the pair in the backyard.  Nice little pair at 49x in the AT72EDII.   

Same here with a small scope last night.

#32 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators
  • topic starter

Posted 14 July 2021 - 04:34 PM

I forgot to mention that there's an article on the conjunction on pages 50 and 51 of the July issue of Astronomy.

#33 Ihtegla Sar

Ihtegla Sar

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Pacific Northwest

Posted 15 July 2021 - 12:57 PM

So, last night I was able to get out with my Meade Infinity (ST80 clone) about an hour earlier than on the 13th.  Didn't have the energy to set up one of my 4" Taks, but given how low these planets are on my horizon in the twilight right after sunset, I am not sure the views would have been that much better in a Tak.

Venus and Mars were about twice as far apart as on the 13th, but still within about 1 degree of each other and the 16mm Nagler, gave a field of view of a little over three degrees, so the Venus and Mars pair were nicely framed and at low power, the colors of both were correct, with a very white and bright Venus and a dimmer but still very bright ruddy Mars.

I don't have a cell phone holder but I was still able to snap a decent cell phone photo through the eyepiece.  The ruddy color of Mars shows up better on the full resolution image, but it somewhat lost when reducing file size to post here.  The line in the photo is a local power line that is about 300 feet from my back deck and down hill, which shows how low these planets are on the horizon.

Attached Thumbnails

• Venus Mars Conjunction.jpg

• Dave Mitsky and Thomas Marshall like this

#34 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators
  • topic starter

Posted 15 July 2021 - 01:53 PM

Mars will be about 1.5 degrees to the lower right of Venus tonight at 1:15 UT.

Attached Thumbnails

• Venus and Mars 7-15-21 Stellarium Close.JPG

#35 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators
  • topic starter

Posted 15 July 2021 - 01:56 PM

I was at a location with a very good western view last night.  Unfortunately, clouds moved in and I was only able to observe Venus briefly using Canon IS 15x50s and my 80mm f/5 Orion ShortTube 80 achromat.  I was not able to see Mars, however.

#36 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators
  • topic starter

Posted 16 July 2021 - 06:11 PM

Mars will be about 2.0 degrees to the lower right of Venus tonight at 1:15 UT.

#37 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators
  • topic starter

Posted 16 July 2021 - 06:11 PM

Mars will be about 2.0 degrees to the lower right of Venus tonight at 1:15 UT.

Attached Thumbnails

• Venus and Mars 7-16-21 Stellarium Close.JPG

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics