•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

new here

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Binobumpkin

Binobumpkin

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 July 2021 - 02:37 PM

I had registered here several years ago but my old nick and password are long gone from my memory. I used to have a meade safari pro porro prism bino but it got ruined with water causing dirty objectives so that too is long gone. currently all I have is an old Tasco world class 8x25 roof compact and a Levenhuk Wise plus 8x32 monocular.

I just ordered a nikon monarch 7 8x30 roof compact so whatta all your thoughts on that? features include dielectric-coated and phase corrected roof prisms, waterproof, fogproof and a huge 8.3 fov. internal body is polycarbonate resin reinforced with fiberglass.

BTW a sub-question. polycarbonate resin vs. magnesium?

#2 ECP M42

ECP M42

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: central Europe 45°N

Posted 12 July 2021 - 02:55 PM

I think you will be happy with your new wide field binoculars! waytogo.gif

Polycarbonate is fine for the tonnage of those binoculars and thus is even lighter.

The only defect that limits some observations is the high sensitivity to backlighting which often reduces the contrast or even blurs the vision and it is not possible to eliminate it with the shadow of the hand (or other solutions).

The other downside is that Porro prism binoculars (like as Leitz Binuxit 8x30), at half the price it offers better optical resolution, a wider field and greater depth of field. But it is slightly heavier, less bright and unsuitable for glasses.

#3 Echolight

Echolight

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Texas

Posted 12 July 2021 - 04:21 PM

My brother has the Monarch 8x30 and he loves them. I personally prefer an 8x42 for looking through. But I’d probably rather carry an 8x30 if traveling light.

• Binobumpkin likes this

#4 Binobumpkin

Binobumpkin

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 July 2021 - 09:09 PM

thanx for the feedback. when the order went through they said  they only had one left.

jump.gif

#5 sevenofnine

sevenofnine

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Santa Rosa, California

Posted 12 July 2021 - 09:37 PM

Welcome back! flowerred.gif You will love those Nikons. My first really good binocular was the original Nikon 8x30 series E porro. I took those things everywhere...even back packing in the Sierras. Unfortunately some crook liked them even more. Anyway, they will be a fun compact bino for traveling. Best of luck to you! waytogo.gif

• Binobumpkin likes this

#6 KaterinBortle9

KaterinBortle9

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 12 July 2021 - 10:20 PM

Hi Binobumpkin, I occasionally uses my nephew's Monarch 7 8x30 and while the glass quality is good, here are some issues you should know:

1) Eye placement and properly adjusted IDP position are very important, probably due to the 3.75mm exit pupil to prevent/minimize grey areas around the edges from appearing. Especially so if you wear glasses as the stated 15.1mm eye relief is a little short when viewing with my glasses. 

2) As ECP M42 mentioned, it is sensitive to bright backlighting.

3) The supplied rubber rain guard is oversized and extremely loose. Bought a Monarch HG 8x30 rain guard which fits better but still a little loose.

My nephew (also a eye glass wearer) kind of regretted getting the Monarch 7 8x30 and intends to sell it away. At about the same price, I am more favorable to the Zeiss Terra ED 8x32 for better eye relief and slightly larger exit pupil, though I have only done preliminary testing at a local camera store. 

Hope the Monarch 7 8x30 works out well for you!

#7 Binobumpkin

Binobumpkin

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 July 2021 - 11:21 PM

I doan wear glasses. I hope backlighting won't bother me too much has I'm mostly a daytime terrestrial viewer. I've been wanting the monarch 8x30 for some years now so now I've gone and ordered one.

whee.gif

#8 Binobumpkin

Binobumpkin

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 July 2021 - 01:52 PM

darn! darn! darn! (my Fred Gwynne impression) that order for the Nikon Monarch 7 8x30 bino never went through. so I tried again a couple of times but it kept showing something different than the item I wanted. it kept coming up Nikon Monarch 7 8x42. I doan want 42s so the bleep with amazon. I wasn't going to try opticsplanet because they said it would be on backorder so nuts to them too. so I ordered it offa Binoculars.com and was so relieved I splurged another 32 samolians for 3-day shipping.

applause.gif

Edited by Binobumpkin, 13 July 2021 - 01:53 PM.

#9 Binobumpkin

Binobumpkin

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 July 2021 - 10:44 PM

well, my Nikon Monarch 7 8x30 bino arrived today and it produces a very bright image so it has good night light transmission.. gotta get a little more use to the focus outside so I doan have to look thru windows.

the funny part it is Nikon but is made in china. it looks like a first class item. took me an hour to attach the strap. I will go somewhere next week to test it out in the open.

the daytime brightness is astounding.

woohoo.gif

Edited by Binobumpkin, 16 July 2021 - 10:44 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics