•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

What is your favorite common-sized Dob (6-12")?

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#26 Markovich

Markovich

Viking 1

• Loc: Grove City, Ohio

Posted 21 July 2021 - 01:47 PM

MINE!

• Alterf and havasman like this

#27 elzopilote

elzopilote

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Las Vegas, Nevada

Posted 21 July 2021 - 03:44 PM

In a Venn diagram of portability, aperture and cost, the 8" solid tube Dobsonian is in the sweet spot. 

• 25585 likes this

#28 aatt

aatt

Vanguard

• ***--
  • Loc: CT

Posted 21 July 2021 - 03:49 PM

It’s all good really if the optics and conditions are as well. I do like my 6” though. It is a very capable little scope and tack sharp because of its killer mirror ( probably a Terry O).
  • paul m schofield likes this

#29 Frenchy

Frenchy

Vostok 1

• Loc: Battle Ground, WA

Posted 21 July 2021 - 04:23 PM

My 12" lightbridge. It goes in either our 16' altima or 13' rogue easily and only needs to be broken down if going into the altima. I've heard a lot of crying (mostly on facebook) how truss dobs are horrible because they will loose collmination if you breath on them. I have not found this to be the case. I collminate about every 5 times it goes out of my garage and into the driveway. I will collminate every time it has a car ride. From having a 12.5" starfinder, zhumell z8, 10" lightbridge plus, and my current pre 07 12" lightbridge, it is the best dob i've owned so far....I do want a 16" or 18" NMT someday, but this has been serving me well so far. I made it look pretty and function extremely well too with some minor mods.

Lb4

Edited by Frenchy, 21 July 2021 - 04:24 PM.

• paul m schofield, James1996 and BlueTrane2028 like this

#30 ShaulaB

ShaulaB

Gemini

• Loc: Missouri

Posted 21 July 2021 - 04:45 PM

My home built ten inch f4.5 Dob has been my beloved scope for over 30 years.
  • SteveV, paul m schofield, Jim T and 2 others like this

#31 kfiscus

kfiscus

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Albert Lea, MN, USA

Posted 21 July 2021 - 10:05 PM

12".  I have two of 'em.

• 25585 likes this

#32 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 22 July 2021 - 04:21 AM

In a Venn diagram of portability, aperture and cost, the 8" solid tube Dobsonian is in the sweet spot. 

I would say the 10 inch is the sweet spot, at least it is for me.  The limiting factor in transportability is the OTA length and the 8 inch F/6 and the 10 inch F/5 are essentially the same length.  The 10 inch is heavier but still very manageable (at least if one is 6 ft tall and over 200 lbs).  And performance-wise, the 10 inch has 25% better resolution and gathers 56% more light.  

Jon

• esd726, George N, turtle86 and 4 others like this

#33 izar187

izar187

Aurora

• Loc: 43N

Posted 22 July 2021 - 04:41 AM

What is your favorite common-sized Dob (6-12")?

6" f/5   plus   12" f/5  

(+/- a few decimal point on the specs of either)

• George N and paul m schofield like this

#34 Alex65

Alex65

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: On a hill in the Highlands. (Bortle 4/5 skies)

Posted 22 July 2021 - 05:03 AM

For me its my 6" f8.

My reasons are:

1) I'm an old school dinosaur and this was once the standard size telescope for many amateurs. If it was good enough for generations of amateurs it is good enough for me (just a simple star gazer). The more modern style Dob mount is a nice bonus.

2) I don't have a lot of storage space, so it is the right size for me when not in use.

3) After working as a RN for 26 years my back isn't what it used to be! My 6" Dobsonian is the largest weight / size that I care to haul around these days, or indeed capable of doing.

4) Lastly, I'm very happy with the optics and aperture size and it suits my simple observing needs perfectly. I don't have aperture fever or envy, don't need electronics nor fancy mounts.

• Terry Smith, HellsKitchen, paul m schofield and 3 others like this

#35 Kenny1291

Kenny1291

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 23 July 2021 - 09:27 PM

I have 3 dobs, split between my 2 homes; 10”, 14” and 15”.  The one used most is my 10” by far.  It is a great do-it-all scope for visual.  Relatively easy to transport, even in my Accord sedan.  I never run out of things to see with the 10”.  Of course, the other larger scopes will show more and brighter objects, but I always weigh the logistics vs performance when I travel to darker sites.  All 3 have DSCs and EQ platforms.  But as I get older, that 10” gets more and more used.  Oh, the views in that 10” are very sharp.

Yea I ended up getting a 10" skywatcher goto just the other day. I was going for a 12" but I really needed to think about size and if I was willing to move a big scope that often and price made more sense. Perhaps some day I'll get one of those other behemoths.

#36 LIVE LONG

LIVE LONG

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Connecticut

Posted 24 July 2021 - 09:27 AM

My 10" Dob is my favorite, and most often used scope. I refer to it as the "GOLDILOCKS" of Dobsonian's, not to big not too small.

It is easy to roll out of my garage, using a hand truck. I almost consider it a Grab & Go scope. 

It gives great views of the moon, planets, double star's, glob clusters, and open clusters.

As already been mentioned, a 10" Dob must be properly collimated, or you will get poor view's.

Edited by LIVE LONG, 24 July 2021 - 09:36 AM.

• Tom Stock and 25585 like this

#37 Tom Stock

Tom Stock

Apollo

• Loc: Saint Augustine, FL

Posted 24 July 2021 - 12:55 PM

My 10" Dob is my favorite, and most often used scope. I refer to it as the "GOLDILOCKS" of Dobsonian's, not to big not too small.

It is easy to roll out of my garage, using a hand truck. I almost consider it a Grab & Go scope. 

It gives great views of the moon, planets, double star's, glob clusters, and open clusters.

As already been mentioned, a 10" Dob must be properly collimated, or you will get poor view's.

Agree with this. I tried many scopes for "grab and go".  I tried a 5" SCT on altaz mount, C90 on a tripod, an ST80 on a GEM with push-to, a 6" F4 reflector,  and some others.

What I found is that I always wanted MORE than a small scope could provide.

When I purchased  a 10" dob I soon realized I could pick it up and carry it, completely assembled from the garage to anywhere in the yard.

It also fits in the back seat of the car.

It's NOT a travel scope by any means, but it's the best "grab and go" scope ever and the views are great.

Edited by Tom Stock, 24 July 2021 - 05:28 PM.

• SteveV and MeridianStarGazer like this

#38 MeridianStarGazer

MeridianStarGazer

Voyager 1

• Loc: Southern Idaho

Posted 24 July 2021 - 04:05 PM

I bet I could lift a 10" dob in one piece if I commit to it. Only 60 pounds. Still risky with some old injuries. The tendon near my left elbow now complains when I lift an 8" dob in one piece.

I was and still am bothered that a 10" has a 34mm thick mirror, which might take a while to cool. But if I were to look at M13 or M31, I know I'd much rather be using the 10" than the 8".

But where do you put the base? The front passenger seat? Or do you have a large enough trunk? For a small sedan, only the 8" allows bringing a friend along.

#39 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 24 July 2021 - 06:17 PM

I bet I could lift a 10" dob in one piece if I commit to it. Only 60 pounds. Still risky with some old injuries. The tendon near my left elbow now complains when I lift an 8" dob in one piece.

I was and still am bothered that a 10" has a 34mm thick mirror, which might take a while to cool. But if I were to look at M13 or M31, I know I'd much rather be using the 10" than the 8".

But where do you put the base? The front passenger seat? Or do you have a large enough trunk? For a small sedan, only the 8" allows bringing a friend along.

I used to carry my 10 inch in a 1989 Nissan Sentra.. pretty tiny. 

I put the base in the back seat at one end and then placed a towel across the cross piece and rested the focuser end on the cross piece. The mirror end tested on the seat.

Jon

• MeridianStarGazer and James1996 like this

#40 turtle86

turtle86

Mr. Coffee

Posted 24 July 2021 - 06:47 PM

I would say the 10 inch is the sweet spot, at least it is for me.  The limiting factor in transportability is the OTA length and the 8 inch F/6 and the 10 inch F/5 are essentially the same length.  The 10 inch is heavier but still very manageable (at least if one is 6 ft tall and over 200 lbs).  And performance-wise, the 10 inch has 25% better resolution and gathers 56% more light.  

Jon

I agree.  My 12.5 and 18" truss Dobs aren't too difficult to set up, but my 10" tube Dob (Orion XTi) is almost a grab and go in comparison, and definitely gets more use when I want to do short sessions in my backyard.  As I find a 10" tube Dob relatively easy to set up, I wouldn't have any reason to use an 8".

On the other hand, I'd never want to deal with a 12" tube Dob.  An 8 or 10" is very manageable, but for me a 12" is about as ergonomically friendly as a water heater.  lol.gif

Edited by turtle86, 24 July 2021 - 06:51 PM.

• Jon Isaacs, Bill Jensen and James1996 like this

#41 izar187

izar187

Aurora

• Loc: 43N

Posted 24 July 2021 - 08:45 PM

On the other hand, I'd never want to deal with a 12" tube Dob.  An 8 or 10" is very manageable, but for me a 12" is about as ergonomically friendly as a water heater.  lol.gif

Very true about water heaters and ergonomics.
The thing to do if ones scope is this size, is some un-water heatering countermeasures.

Water heaters don't come with wheels.

A hand truck takes all the work out of moving a large solid tube around the yard. IME

Plus you have a handy hand truck to use for daylight projects.

Got stairs... then stair climbing hand trucks like those used in industry work well.

Water heaters also don't come with handles.

But 12" +  solid tubes sure can. And should.

Strap on or bolt on, they can make all the difference in the world. IME

For me, two large in-line ones, along the the top of the tube so to speak.

One on either side of the center of gravity. Exactly so, or in a preferred chosen variant.

IMHO a significantly more important issue for a 12"+  solid tube telescope option is vehicle size for trips to darkerness.

12" is a favorite size for me, because I have chosen all three countermeasures together.

Wheels, handles and vehicle.

• Bill Jensen likes this

#42 sopticals

sopticals

Apollo

• Loc: New Zealand

Posted 25 July 2021 - 12:43 AM

My 10" gets the most use. Quick and easy to get "under the stars". Have owned a number of 6"-8" dobs but somehow they just didn't quite "cut it".

Stephen.(45deg.S.)

• Bill Jensen and George N like this

#43 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 25 July 2021 - 10:29 AM

12" is a favorite size for me, because I have chosen all three countermeasures together.

Wheels, handles and vehicle.

I do not recommend choosing a vehicle simply because a 12 inch solid tube Dob will fit.  Truss Dobs are a better solution.  A larger vehicle will cost you every time you drive it, every month you pay the insurance.. 

My 12.5 inch fits in most cars and takes up much less space than a tube Dob.  The foot print is 19" x 20" and it's about 28" tall when nested. 

5311761-Discovery Dob in Car CN.jpg

Jon

• turtle86 and mpickering like this

#44 mpickering

mpickering

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Annapolis, MD

Posted 29 July 2021 - 05:07 PM

I can only have one favorite because my Dob experience is limited to one scope: my new Orion XT10+ 10 inch.

It's my "big" scope.  It's my "fuzzy hunter".  It's the "take your breath away" scope.  A bit of a beast but it is the biggest scope that balanced price and size I've purchased.  I was going to buy the XT8+ version but opted for the 10 inch since it would ship earlier and I figured the extra cost and weight with only a slight increase in storage volume was worth the 56% increase in light gathering.

While I'd love a 12+ inch truss Dobsonian, that can come later when I have a semi-permanent space to keep it.  That and the cost to move up in aperture.  The view I had of M13 the first time through the 10 inch took my breath away.  Totally different experience over a 5 inch refractor/reflector.  Those scopes showed it as a white fuzzball.  In the 10 inch it was this amazing sphere of hundreds of individual stars that filled the eyepiece.  In dark skies that is the scope that going out the door first!  

I'd like a purpose-built observing chair for it mainly at lower elevations so I am not bending over.  The rest of the time it is at a good sitting height.  A little rough on the motion but I expected that and I may do some mount upgrades to smooth it out.

No Go-To or Push-To.  Purely a manual, do-it-old-school star-hopping scope.  I do love the big beast.  It is a scope I never dreamed of owning until recently.  I could never of had something like that as a kid, teenager or young adult.  So I am grateful for cheap Chinese optics!

Matt

• Jon Isaacs, HellsKitchen, sopticals and 3 others like this

#45 MeridianStarGazer

MeridianStarGazer

Voyager 1

• Loc: Southern Idaho

Posted 29 July 2021 - 08:34 PM

I can only have one favorite because my Dob experience is limited to one scope: my new Orion XT10+ 10 inch.

It's my "big" scope.  It's my "fuzzy hunter".  It's the "take your breath away" scope.  A bit of a beast but it is the biggest scope that balanced price and size I've purchased.  I was going to buy the XT8+ version but opted for the 10 inch since it would ship earlier and I figured the extra cost and weight with only a slight increase in storage volume was worth the 56% increase in light gathering.

While I'd love a 12+ inch truss Dobsonian, that can come later when I have a semi-permanent space to keep it.  That and the cost to move up in aperture.  The view I had of M13 the first time through the 10 inch took my breath away.  Totally different experience over a 5 inch refractor/reflector.  Those scopes showed it as a white fuzzball.  In the 10 inch it was this amazing sphere of hundreds of individual stars that filled the eyepiece.  In dark skies that is the scope that going out the door first!  

I'd like a purpose-built observing chair for it mainly at lower elevations so I am not bending over.  The rest of the time it is at a good sitting height.  A little rough on the motion but I expected that and I may do some mount upgrades to smooth it out.

No Go-To or Push-To.  Purely a manual, do-it-old-school star-hopping scope.  I do love the big beast.  It is a scope I never dreamed of owning until recently.  I could never of had something like that as a kid, teenager or young adult.  So I am grateful for cheap Chinese optics!

Matt

The 8" is super easy to move in 2 pieces, though I have found older ones with heavier bases. It is also liftable in 1 pieces, though gets heavy after 50 feet.

The 10" definitely is heaftier. But it is safe and manageable in 2 pieces. If I'm willing to set the OTA on the ground, I can dodge trees by moving it in 2 pieces. On a grassy field this should not be an issue. On gravel or dirt, you might want a friend to carry the other piece, or have a towel to set the OTA on.

A 12" tube OTA is liftable but really is a beast that I'd rather not risk my back on. I could even lift a 14" OTA if I commit to the lift, but I'd just rather not. My back is worth more than going a bit deeper. Those with zero injuries can do as they wish.

• 25585 likes this

#46 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 29 July 2021 - 09:02 PM

A 12" tube OTA is liftable but really is a beast that I'd rather not risk my back on. I could even lift a 14" OTA if I commit to the lift, but I'd just rather not. My back is worth more than going a bit deeper. Those with zero injuries can do as they wish.

This photo of me with my 12.5 inch F/4.06 was taken 20 years ago when I was 53.. 

190089-jonisaacs.jpg

It's now a truss scope.

Jon

• Bill Jensen, SteveV, James1996 and 1 other like this

#47 tommy10

tommy10

Soyuz

• ****-
  • Loc: Illinois

Posted 29 July 2021 - 09:41 PM

I prefer my 8”F5.9 , over the larger 10. The eight has more forgiving collimation, sharp across most of the fov without a paracorr, it is easy to move in two pieces. If I lived in a darker area, I can see merit in getting a ten or 12  but I’m mostly a planet moon guy as DSO are all pretty blah even in the largest scopes in my area if they are visible at all which they often aren’t. When I directly compared the 8 to a ten , the ten was definitely brighter although it might be hard to tell the difference if they weren’t next to each other, the eight however gave a sharper view although perhaps the ten wasn’t cooled or off a bit  off in collimation,. If I had to do it again, maybe I would get an 10 or maybe not I can go either way.

• 25585 likes this

#48 HellsKitchen

HellsKitchen

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Renmark, Australia

Posted 29 July 2021 - 09:45 PM

My favourite scope is honestly my 8" F/6. Super simple, quick to set up, with top-end optics. Had so many memorable sessions with this. 

My living situation precludes large scopes on wheels.

s0eTOJo.jpg

• Bill Jensen, daquad, areyoukiddingme and 5 others like this

#49 donald41

donald41

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: bartlesville oklahoma

Posted 30 July 2021 - 11:27 AM

i have 8 and 10" dobs, 6 and 8" sct scopes but i always go back to my favorite, my 6" f/8 orion intelliscope. light, easy to use and sharp images when well collimated. age plays a part in this!! but even if i was younger i think it would be number 1 for just push out and view. great little scope!!!! 

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN1068.JPG

• paul m schofield, 25585, Alex65 and 1 other like this

#50 NYJohn S

NYJohn S

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Northport, NY

Posted 02 August 2021 - 03:47 PM

After 4 years of observing with an XT8 I just got an AD10. I had first light this weekend under some nice, dark, transparent skies. I wasn't sure what to expect but the increase in detail was immediately obvious. I spent the night comparing views on familiar objects. Things that are are visible but difficult to see in the 8 are just there in the 10, like the connection between M51 & NGC 5195. Globulars were much nicer in the 10. Nebula like the Crescent Nebula were also much nicer. The view with an OIII filter was dark in the 8 by comparison.

I can see the 10" would benefit from a Paracoor but it's not terrible. It's bigger and heavier but manageable in 2 trips. I observe from a second story deck and have to carry it up a narrow set of stairs which I was able to do. I wouldn't be able to do that with a solid tube 12". So far I'm very happy with it. 

The 10 is staying at my dark site and the 8 will come home with me. When I packed up the 8 it felt like a toy in comparison. Much lighter and the narrower tube was easier to get into the back seat. For tree dodging the 8 is great but the little extra effort to get the nicer views is worth it to me. 

Here's a photo of the 2 side by side. This was before I added a Telrad & 9x50 Raci to the AD10.

Attached Thumbnails

• AD10 & XT8i_9689.jpg

Edited by NYJohn S, 02 August 2021 - 04:07 PM.

• sopticals, MeridianStarGazer, James1996 and 1 other like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics