•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Returning to Omaha

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jessebear

jessebear

Mariner 2

• topic starter
  • Loc: Gretna, NE

Posted 12 July 2021 - 08:52 PM

I got back into astronomy while living in Colorado, and eventually into ATM and astrophotography (very much a novice in both). I've recently moved back to Omaha and I'm hoping to meet some fellow astronomers. I've joined the local club and I'm hoping to attend one of their monthly gatherings tomorrow, but I thought I'd ask on here as well. Light pollution sure is a different ball game here, but I'll be using that as an excuse for switching to narrowband :)

Clear skies

#2 ShaulaB

ShaulaB

Gemini

• Loc: Missouri

Posted 12 July 2021 - 09:05 PM

The Nebraska Star Party will be held this year, August 1-6. It takes place near Valentine, and is supposed to be a good dark site. I had wanted to go last year, but it was cancelled due to Covid.

Star parties attract the hard core imagers and ATM folks usually. Best of luck with weather and smoke.

Edited by ShaulaB, 12 July 2021 - 09:08 PM.

• kfiscus and Dynan like this

#3 FajitaJoe

FajitaJoe

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: United States

Posted 15 July 2021 - 03:24 PM

Omaha Astronomical Club has a top secret viewing spot about 30 min or so south of Omaha.  You have to be a member to use it.  Decent skys and privacy.

NSP is also a blast once a year.  Astro geeks come far and wide and most are very friendly and generous to share a view from their scopes (particularly on "Dob row").  Fun time out in the sands.  Watch out for the rattle snakes and sasquatch.

• jcj380 likes this

#4 Nightfly

Nightfly

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Dark Skies, Maine

Posted 25 July 2021 - 04:54 PM

Was a member of the OAS back in my Air Force days. The observing site at Weeping Water was good. Get a membership and setup /camp at the site. Many permanent observatories there back in the 80s.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics