•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

CloudyNights EAA Gathering for August (online via Zoom)

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 EmeraldHills

EmeraldHills

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: Louisville, Kentucky

Posted 13 July 2021 - 06:04 AM

Hello gang! Let's plan our CloudyNights EAA Gathering for August! It's Australia's turn!

As you recall, we rotate for "ideal viewing conditions" from 1) Western Europe, to 2) North America Pacific Time Zone, then to 3) North America Eastern Time Zone, and now to 4) Australia, so that within 4 months, everybody gets ideal times and, hopefully, conditions.

So Australia, let's go with August 7th (new Moon) from 8pm to 10pm. Because it's winter for you now, you'll have full darkness by then. To see this for your time zone, regardless of where you are in the world, check out:

https://www.worldtim...&sln=20-22&hf=1

(Kym, before we go any farther, will this work for you?)

Edge of our seats, Australia. : )

Doug

• happylimpet, hornjs and Tiago Ferreira like this

#2 hornjs

hornjs

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Billings, MT

Posted 13 July 2021 - 07:55 AM

Perhaps I could get up earlier for work that day lol.gif

• EmeraldHills likes this

#3 skymaps

skymaps

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Adelaide, Australia

Posted 13 July 2021 - 07:57 AM

Hi Folks,

The date and time work just fine for me. In fact I plan to be at our dark sky observing site north of Adelaide that evening which also provides better views of the entire night sky compared to my backyard. I will recruit a few locals plus a couple more interstate to provide additional views of the night sky. Should be a wonderful evening!

Cheers, Kym

Edited by skymaps, 13 July 2021 - 08:30 AM.

• EmeraldHills and roelb like this

#4 EmeraldHills

EmeraldHills

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 13 July 2021 - 03:17 PM

Sounds great, Kym. OK - we're full speed ahead at:

https://www.cloudyni...nts/?p=11224067

for the announcement then. And you can register, as you'll see there in the announcement, at this Zoom page:

https://us02web.zoom...ve7soKMRiuYFpoi

Please do take note -- that's the registration page (rather than the Zoom link to log on). After you register, Zoom takes care of sending you a personalized link.

In this thread, feel free to ask questions, brainstorm about content, offer suggestions, and more.

Hoping to see you all in August!

Doug

#5 Owk

Owk

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 14 July 2021 - 05:38 AM

I’m in Darwin, and would love to join in but ive never live streamed one of my sessions.

8pm AEST will be 730 in Darwin and not quite Astro dark at 12S.

I can start practicing live streaming!

cheers

hemi

• roelb likes this

#6 EmeraldHills

EmeraldHills

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 14 July 2021 - 12:46 PM

Hemi, I can think of all kinds of Darwin jokes ("We COULD just hang around online for a million years or so to see if anything evolves for you."), but I'll resist the urge and just say - sooooooooo sorry. Join in with the group anyway, if you would, and, either way, we'll be sure to catch Dawin-darkness next Australian-time-zone-turn. Deal? Great to meet you!

• Owk and hornjs like this

#7 skymaps

skymaps

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Adelaide, Australia

Posted 15 July 2021 - 12:52 AM

Hemi, 7:30pm in Darwin will be Nautical Dusk on 7 August. So night sky conditions will be workable but not ideal till about 8pm. If you need some help with live streaming just contact me privately and we can have a chat and a go beforehand. I'm in Adelaide and in the same time zone. Cheers, Kym.

#8 Owk

Owk

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 18 July 2021 - 08:37 AM

Thanks Doug,

Darwin is the back end of beyond for most Australians! So heard a lot of jokes. Happy to hear some from your side of the world. Charles never actually got to Darwin, but we still name most things in our city after him.

Thanks Kym, I’ll try and watch previous recordings and then pm you. I’ll also play with the software. OBS and zoom?

Edited by Owk, 18 July 2021 - 08:39 AM.

#9 EmeraldHills

EmeraldHills

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 06 August 2021 - 03:46 AM

Hello CloudyNights EAA Team Members. Don't forget that our upcoming monthly gathering is just (roughly) 24 hours away. To see the full announcement, just click to:

https://www.cloudyni...nts/?p=11224067

Please pay special attention to the time and time zone. This meeting is designed to favor/feature observers in Australia. For those in Eastern Time in the USA, for example, please take special note that this meeting is slated for 6am on Saturday morning (tomorrow, Aug. 7). Questions? Ask away!

Remember, we all have to register in advance for this meeting using this Zoom sign-up link (this is the sign-up link, not the Zoom meeting link; following sign-up, we receive a personalized Zoom meeting link emailed directly to us by Zoom):

https://us02web.zoom...ve7soKMRiuYFpoi

Hope to see you there!

Doug

#10 hornjs

hornjs

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Billings, MT

Posted 06 August 2021 - 11:46 AM

Might not make it.  I'm on call this weekend and it will be 4am.  

#11 EmeraldHills

EmeraldHills

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 06 August 2021 - 11:52 AM

Thanks for the fact that you are such a team player, Jeff. I don't see how you do it. 

Either way, i hope you have an easier shift.

Thanks for the note.

• hornjs likes this

#12 MunichAtNight

MunichAtNight

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Munich - Germany

Posted 06 August 2021 - 02:21 PM

Hello!

I can't say yes or no. It depends on our weather. Susan and me are desperate to do any own observing, because we had for about six weeks heavy rain, clouds with rain, clouds without rain and it looks like that we will have this night clear skies, before weather changes back to heavy rain ...

... in case we are out all night, I am afraid that I will still sleep an 11am our time zone ... when meeting starts.

Have fun! MunichAtNight - Ewald

#13 EmeraldHills

EmeraldHills

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 06 August 2021 - 02:36 PM

No problem brother. 

By the way, as we look toward a meeting in September, would you happen to be available on the evening of Sept. 4th? If so, what time would you want the session to start? 9:30pm? 10pm?

Hello!

I can't say yes or no. It depends on our weather. Susan and me are desperate to do any own observing, because we had for about six weeks heavy rain, clouds with rain, clouds without rain and it looks like that we will have this night clear skies, before weather changes back to heavy rain ...

... in case we are out all night, I am afraid that I will still sleep an 11am our time zone ... when meeting starts.

Have fun! MunichAtNight - Ewald

#14 EmeraldHills

EmeraldHills

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 09 August 2021 - 10:44 AM

Thanks to those who took part in the CloudyNights EAA Gathering this past Saturday. As we've said, this gathering favored those in time zones surrounding Australia. We've listed the link to the recording of the Zoom meeting here:

https://www.cloudyni...eos/?p=11281285

If you'd like to go directly to the recording on YouTube, here it is:

cloudynights_EAA_gathering-2021-08-500.png

https://youtu.be/2uBW3GIZH6c

We'll soon star planning the next gathering which, for September, will favor Europe. We're currently proposing to do it on the evening (in Europe) of September 4th. More on that very soon.

• hornjs and Tiago Ferreira like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics