•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Steiner 8x56 Nighthunter vs Nikon 7x50 Prostar.. advice needed

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Northern

Northern

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 July 2021 - 07:16 PM

So..

I am once again itching to buy something new.

I have had the Nikon 7x50 on my buy list for 6 months now.. and I came across the Steiner 8x56 today.

Its the Nikons small AFOV that has kept me from buying it.

Both have 7mm exit pupils.

Both are porros.

Nikon 7.3deg - Steiner 7.7deg

7 and 8 mag for less shaking.

Steiner is 2-300g lighter.

Nikon has 51deg AFOV, Steiner has 59-61deg AFOV.

Heart says Nikon.

Stats says Steiner.

Is the Steiner made in Germany?

Edited by Northern, 13 July 2021 - 07:19 PM.

#2 dries1

dries1

Messenger

Posted 13 July 2021 - 08:07 PM

That is my only beef with the SP 7X50. Personally I appreciated the FL 7X42 and NVA 7X40 as both have a larger APOV than many other 7X50s/7X42s. I have a Meopta Meostar 7X42, not made anymore, it is a very nice glass, but the APOV is noticeable to me. Viewing during the day however, the depth of field observed is one of the pleasant characteristics of the 7X42/50 format. 

Personally I do not have experience with that particular 8X56, but I would go 8X56 all day, and night over 7X50 - (This is based on my personal viewing location/experiences/preferences). I would use it more than if I had the SP 7X50. Different strokes. Under a dark sky the SP 7X50 is incredible, but I do not live under dark skies 24-7.

I also prefer center focus for glass that I use during the day, I do enjoy the NVA 7X40 for stationary viewing, targets for example, set and forget, but not for general observing during the day.

#3 pat in los angeles basin

pat in los angeles basin

Apollo

Posted 13 July 2021 - 08:10 PM

Might not matter to you, however, the night hunter is a discontinued item. They are still out there however. Smark  thinks highly of  them as I recall.   Regards, Pat

#4 ECP M42

ECP M42

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: central Europe 45°N

Posted 13 July 2021 - 08:55 PM

Heart says Nikon.

Stats says Steiner.

... and if Wallet could says "both", you would do the grand slam ... or at least 1/2 

From what I know, the Steiner is made in Germany.

Edited by ECP M42, 13 July 2021 - 10:37 PM.

#5 ihf

ihf

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: California, USA

Posted 13 July 2021 - 09:20 PM

So it is a bit weird. The US SKU called ShadowQuest 8x56 is listed as legacy product. The German model called Nighthunter 8x56 is still on their website but only available in Germany. Steiner is located in Germany with 123 employees part of the Beretta group. But I can't confirm where they are made. Likely in Germany, but normally such a fact is written/repeated all over the place?

#6 SMark

SMark

Aurora

• Loc: Clay County, AL USA

Posted 13 July 2021 - 09:49 PM

I have owned both, and both are fantastic products, IMO. Directly compared (in hindsight) the strength of the Prostar is the edge-to-edge sharpness, while the strengths of the ShadowQuest are the much better eye comfort, including longer eye relief (I wear glasses) and a less fussy eye placement, and the much wider field of view. As far as build quality and coatings, I consider them as equals. In the end, I sold my Prostar and my ShadowQuest is currently one of my favorite binoculars. Everything about the view is easy and comfortable. Ergonomics is a personal thing though. 

• hallelujah, Grimnir, MisterDan and 1 other like this

#7 MisterDan

MisterDan

Viking 1

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 13 July 2021 - 09:52 PM

The Prostar has a standard tripod socket.  The Steiner has no provision for tripod mounting.  You'd have to design your own.

The Prostar is and has been among the very best (if not THE best) for decades.

The ~0.4-degree "advantage" in field of view, to me, is negligible.  Both yield true fields greater than 7 degrees, and less than 8 degrees.

The Prostar is often noted - by many different reviewers - as being noticeably superior (at the eyepiece) to the Fujinon FMT-SX 7x50.  That may be a simple statement, but its "weight" and context should not be forgotten.  I'd love to read users' impressions of the Steiner 8x56 in comparison to... well, any binocular.

I wouldn't buy either, unless I could test-drive both.

Legend versus contender...?

Best wishes.

Dan

• j.gardavsky likes this

#8 ihf

ihf

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: California, USA

Posted 13 July 2021 - 10:23 PM

Berlebach binocular mount.

882_gross.jpg

Edited by ihf, 13 July 2021 - 10:24 PM.

• hallelujah, SMark, j.gardavsky and 1 other like this

#9 SMark

SMark

Aurora

• Loc: Clay County, AL USA

Posted 13 July 2021 - 10:28 PM

The ~0.4-degree "advantage" in field of view, to me, is negligible.  Both yield true fields greater than 7 degrees, and less than 8 degrees.

It's not negligible when you also consider that the Prostar is 7x and the ShadowQuest is 8x. That's a good 10° in AFOV.

• hallelujah, Sergey Stern, Grimnir and 1 other like this

#10 Fiske

Fiske

Soyuz

• Loc: Kansas (Kansas City area) / USA

Posted 14 July 2021 - 12:59 AM

You can order the Steiner ShadowQuest from OpticsPlanet for $799, but forget that and go with the Nikon 7x50 SP. I own both and the SP is hands down the better astronomy binocular. It's not even close. The SP has the magic.

The SP is the sharpest binocular in my collection -- sharp to the edge of the FOV. The edge performance of the Steiner doesn't compare -- sharp to maybe 85% of the FOV.

The thing I like about the Steiner is the eye relief is subsantial and the instrument can easily be held in front of my glasses, so it's great for scanning to find your way around the sky. And it has nifty features like a quick release  strap. The eyepiece cover is totally luxe. 

But the Steiner won't necessarily wind up in my estate. The Nikon 7x50 SP is another matter. I'll never willingly part with it. wink.gif

Fiske

Edited by Fiske, 14 July 2021 - 01:00 AM.

• hallelujah, Erik Bakker, Sergey Stern and 2 others like this

#11 nowhere

nowhere

Mariner 2

• Loc: Vancouver

Posted 14 July 2021 - 02:11 AM

The Prostar takes the Nikon SE series tripod adapter. It clamps around the central pivot instead of threading into the front as most tripod adapters do. It's readily available from a number of retailers. I have one on order for the 18X70 I'm getting - it uses the same adapter as the Prostar. I didn't get one with my Prostar as I'm fine with hand holding a 7X50. Roger Vine's review of the 18X70 talks about this adapter and it's pros and cons:

http://scopeviews.co.uk/Nikon18x70.htm

I've never tried any Steiners so I can't give a comparison but I can tell you that my Prostars are staying with me for life. I'm not a glutton for AFOV though so that may temper how much you value my opinion - but Fiske has a high opinion of the Prostars and he has a pretty impressive collection of glass including binoculars with a much wider AFOV that the Prostars.

I figure decades of nothing but Kellners in my telescopes warped my perspective so that even now a 50 degree AFOV seems nice and wide.

#12 Northern

Northern

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 July 2021 - 05:40 AM

Nowhere: Kyoei sells the tripod adaptor for 1/2 - 1/3 the price I have seen in EU/US. So get more :)

I have 4 more on order from them :)

#13 MT4

MT4

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Tokyo, JP

Posted 14 July 2021 - 06:46 AM

Nowhere: Kyoei sells the tripod adaptor for 1/2 - 1/3 the price I have seen in EU/US. So get more smile.gif

I have 4 more on order from them smile.gif

@Northern - I really want to know what you have on order from Kyoei but can you please not tell me?   smile.gif smile.gif

#14 Northern

Northern

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 July 2021 - 06:57 AM

Hehe..

I have a long standing order for, but not bought yet

Nikon 7x50 SP

Kowa 30x66 (664M spotting scope)

4x Nikon tripod adaptors

I really like the adaptors, as they also fit my Fujinon and Zeiss Dialyt.

I bought my Kowa 32x82 from them earlier this year.

#15 Blue72

Blue72

Messenger

• Loc: Long Island, NY

Posted 14 July 2021 - 07:02 AM

Are the night hunter serviceable. I know Steiner owners of other models say that Steiner binoculars are glued together making them throwaways after they get damaged

something to look into before making the investment 

#16 MT4

MT4

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 14 July 2021 - 07:04 AM

I got my Kowa 32x82 from them too, though I got the 21x/50x eyepieces from JP Amazon at about 400 USD/pair.

Looking at your list of binoculars, I see that we have some of the same ones smile.gif

#17 Northern

Northern

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 July 2021 - 07:07 AM

I got my Kowa 32x82 from them too, though I got the 21x/50x eyepieces from JP Amazon at about 400 USD/pair.

Looking at your list of binoculars, I see that we have some of the same ones smile.gif

Yeah... I thought you where copying my list wink.gif ;)

You should find the Nikon 10x70 6.5 deg.. probably easier in Japan.

Amazing binocular ( to my eyes ).

Edited by Northern, 14 July 2021 - 07:09 AM.

• MT4 likes this

#18 Northern

Northern

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 July 2021 - 07:08 AM

Are the night hunter serviceable. I know Steiner owners of other models say that Steiner binoculars are glued together making them throwaways after they get damaged

I sure hope so!

Anybody know?

#19 MT4

MT4

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 14 July 2021 - 07:14 AM

Yeah... I thought you where copying my list wink.gif wink.gif

You should find the Nikon 10x70 6.5 deg.. probably easier in Japan.

Amazing binocular ( to my eyes ).

Hehe.... I might have smile.gif

On Nikon 10x70, I though most people would go for the SP version which has a TFOV of about 5 degrees all of which sharp.  I've seen the 6.5-deg version popping up from time to time on a Japanese auction site but I have no idea if it's worth picking up since I already have the Nikon 18x70.

#20 Northern

Northern

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 July 2021 - 07:28 AM

Here is a small review I made of them:

https://www.cloudyni...nikon-10x70-65/

• ECP M42 likes this

#21 ECP M42

ECP M42

Apollo

• -----

Posted 14 July 2021 - 08:04 AM

In fact they seem to be glued (certainly the Marine models), but also built to last and withstand heavy stress, much more than other "delicate" binoculars. 

So, maybe it also depends on the use (?) 

steiner-ampia-1.jpg

https://www.steiner....nologie-10999/ 

I don't know if they can be unglued and re-glued, so fix, but I don't see why not.

Perhaps the repair would be more expensive than other binoculars?

Edited by ECP M42, 14 July 2021 - 08:04 AM.

• garret likes this

#22 mchambrick

mchambrick

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Orange, Texas

Posted 16 July 2021 - 08:58 AM

On my last trip to Germany in March, 2020 I purchased a pair of Steiner Ranger Extreme 8 X 56 binoculars. These have the same lens design and glass as the Nighthunter 8 X 56, but they have the traditional manual focus rather than the auto focus that is on the Nighthunter. Since I wanted the binoculars for astronomy I felt that the manual focus was the way to go.

I paid €674.00 for them. They are made in Germany, but this is expected since I bought them in Germany. I think Steiner is still one of the few companies that make all of their lenses in-house at their factory in Bayreuth Germany, but the models that they sell in the US are not the same as those that they sell in Germany, so I can not vouch for where they are made.

Overall, I have been very happy with these binoculars. The quality of construction and the optical performance is very good. I am not an expert on how to evaluate binocular performance, but when I compared the view through the Steiner binoculars to that of my vintage (1974) pair of Japanese made Empire 7 X 50's I would say that the Steiners are better, but not so much as to blow me away. It is hard to beat those old Empire 7 X 50's.

Mike

• Fiske and ECP M42 like this

#23 garret

garret

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Netherlands

Posted 16 July 2021 - 11:03 AM

traditional manual focus rather than the auto focus that is on the Nighthunter.

Nighhunter's "autofocus" = fully manual focus using each ocular separately

• SMark, ihf and ECP M42 like this

#24 ECP M42

ECP M42

Apollo

• -----

Posted 16 July 2021 - 12:09 PM

Since I wanted the binoculars for astronomy I felt that the manual focus was the way to go.

Hi Mike, your Ranger Extreme has the CF centralized focus, which is more practical for dynamic terrestrial observation of moving objects in short range. While for astronomy the independent IF focus is generally preferred, like that of the NightHunter, because it is more accurate and more stable, despite being slower to adjust. 

PS: I don't think the two Steiners have the same optical scheme, not even the same lenses, but they certainly enjoy the same quality of the glass and the coated. However, by their nature, they arrive at two different results, for example of transmittance (96% vs 92%) and certainly of depth of field. 

#25 Northern

Northern

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 July 2021 - 09:25 AM

In my collection, the only binocular I have that is close to the Nikon 7x50 SP AFOV, is the Pentax Papillion 6,5x21.

Now, nowhere near the same optics and eye pupils, but if anybody has these two binoculars, how does the view compare? Size wise..

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics