•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Jupiter Possible Festoons two distinct abit close together

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 phillip

phillip

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Sterling, Illinois

Posted 14 July 2021 - 02:40 AM

Jupiter's GRS Red Spot just rotating out of view.

Just back from early Jupiter look, sky near decent, fighting passing clouds. But did notice a pair of concentrated markings just off center easily visible. Small for my 7mm eyepiece but held my attention. Wasn't any of its moons as all four in full display. 

View on a brief look as another long lengthy stream of clouds eventually took away rest of my observation. What was different is how well they stood out tho not huge at all. Also this similar pair rather close to Each Other! Cool! 

Curious if anobody else caught this early morning look. Just at and after 2am my central time here in the midwest. 

Thanks in advance ! 

XT10

7mm ortho

Did catch a look with 6mm ortho

No not clear sky, Lol! 

Edited by phillip, 14 July 2021 - 02:42 AM.

#2 Special Ed

Special Ed

Voyager 1

• Loc: Greenbrier County, WV 38N, 80W

Posted 14 July 2021 - 10:12 AM

phillip,

At the time you posted (2 am central) Jupiter's System II longitude was 44 degrees.  Here is an image from M. Miyahara with System II at 48.9 degrees that shows two dark barges on the NEBn.  Your description of concentrated markings sound like these barges--festoons can be seen in the image and are much fainter and extend from the NEBs into the Equatorial Zone.

http://alpo-j.sakura...1/j210712e1.jpg

#3 phillip

phillip

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 July 2021 - 12:52 PM

Thanks so Much! 

That's exactly the location and also GRS rotating away. 

Sweet! 

Barges, yes they did have hints of elongation as so well shown in the image. Were indeed dark in color! Terrific! 

Many Thanks Again! Wow! Cool! 

Edited by phillip, 14 July 2021 - 12:54 PM.

#4 phillip

phillip

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 July 2021 - 01:06 PM

What seemed abit unusual is perhaps how well they stood out. Easily seen less than 200x. Was able to detect their shape. Read they often blend in, I enjoyed the view, especially now given the info of what I was Seeing. Stunning! 

XT10

7mm, 6mm orthos

• Special Ed likes this

#5 Special Ed

Special Ed

Voyager 1

• Loc: Greenbrier County, WV 38N, 80W

Posted 14 July 2021 - 01:35 PM

They do sometimes blend in but because right now the north side of the NEB has faded, they stand out better.

#6 nibiru711

nibiru711

Explorer 1

Posted 15 July 2021 - 01:09 AM

I could five festoons tonight on two of Jupiter's belt. Three on the lower and two on the upper. I could see them with an 8 inch orion dobsonian f6 and with 5mm starguider eyepiece, 7mm celestron x cel, and a 10mm celestron plossl(old halloween version). Last was even better on Jupiter but there weren't any festoons around but very defined belts and great red spot was  excellent. Maybe the best view of Jupiter ever besides one other time in the early 2000's. 

#7 jeffmac

jeffmac

Apollo

• Loc: Triad area, NC

Posted 15 July 2021 - 10:11 AM

I recently saw these barges with my 4" refractor under good seeing. Very prominent at 160x. You're right, they were quite striking in appearance.

#8 phillip

phillip

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 July 2021 - 02:41 AM

Today, Not sure if seeing similar Barges again as was a 1AM central daylight time view. These two distinct ones, one  nearing left side of Jupiter in a reflector image, was islanded out the best. Out early as near opposition for Saturn. 

Sky more unsteady but less haze this early AM. Finally reached a focus point that nearly held. 

These two one left of center, while one off center looked larger, one to the left stood out perhaps better. Other Barge just to right of center.

Wasn't noticing any festoons tho likely there, mostly due to questionable sky here in midwest. 

Still cool to now see these Barges due to lessened main Band. Nice! 

XT10

7mm, 6mm ortho

4.8 Nagler but sky wasn't that good..

Edited by phillip, 17 July 2021 - 02:44 AM.

#9 phillip

phillip

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 July 2021 - 02:23 AM

Just in as earlier around 130AM central daylight time here in midwest, caught the Twin Barges again, this time with a cool Io shadow transit just above them in a reflector View! Awesome! 

Be sure and check 2nd posting above, kind party gave an exact picture of them below the main Jupiter belt, slightly to right center. Pic so amazingly accurate to my visual. Click on his Link! 

They aren't huge but very obvious as stand out so Well!

Had clouds but Jupiter stayed in view, conditions above normal as belts stood out near Detail!

Awesome! 

XT10

7mm ortho

Edited by phillip, 19 July 2021 - 02:24 AM.

• Special Ed likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics