•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

APM 100 semi-apo vs APM 70 ED 90°

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Bosco

Bosco

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Bilbao(Spain)

Posted 14 July 2021 - 10:10 AM

Hi everyone,

Im trying to decide what binos to get in next weeks.

About a month ago I purchased a pair of Fujinon FMTR SX 10x50 brand new since I was not happy with my Lunt 10x50's. The Fujinon outperformed the Lunts in every aspect and despite of not being a huge difference for me it was clear that Fujis make the difference. Sadly, I ended returning back the Fujis to the retailer due to a play that one of the eyepieces had (Something unforgivable at this price point)

I was planning to buy another pair of Fujis as soon as getting my money back but then I thought about aquiring a 90° binos since this kind of binos seems to be more comfortable to observe through. I see the Fujis as a quick look binos (and a tool as first step before star hopping with the telescope) since it is not feasible to observe through them more than 5-10 minutes without taking a break. And for zenith observation they are a pain in the neck unless you use some leaning chair. Also find the 900-1100€ of Fujis quite expensive for an equipment that has a fixed magnification so is less polyvalent.

Have been thinking of acquiring an APM 90° bino for a while. My dilemma is between getting APM 100 SEMI-APO + center mount & Tripod or APM 70 ED + TS L bracket and using my ES Twilight I mount. Both combos cost about 2000€

My target are DSO's at low/mid magnification and very very occasional planetary/Lunar.

The ideal deal would be to get APM 100 ED + apm center mount + Berlenbach tripod but the price increases up to 3000€. I could save this money but find this is too much money to spend. So 2000€ is a lot of money but more or less affordable to me since this would be to get a quality and a keeper instrument.

Seems that APM ED versions are waterproof whilst semi-apo ones not so this would be a clear disadvantage for semi apos since waterproof ensures you more durability I guess.

Another option could be to go an intermediate option and get APM 82 ED version in my ES twilight I mount...

What would you do?

Thanks!!

Edited by Bosco, 14 July 2021 - 10:11 AM.

#2 Rich V.

Rich V.

Cosmos

• Loc: Lake Tahoe area, Nevada

Posted 14 July 2021 - 10:27 AM

The APM 70mm ED BT is a sweet package with a lot of performance for the aperture. Much more flexible than a standard 16x70, for sure. Do get the ED model, you'll likely be impressed.

The 70mm would ride nicely on your existing light mount, I'd expect. That would keep your costs down to a minimum.

Rich
  • Pinac likes this

#3 Bosco

Bosco

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 July 2021 - 02:43 PM

Thanks for the message :)

Yup, Ive read that this little instrument is quite good for its size, and coukd be a compromise between quality and cost

#4 DeanD

DeanD

Viking 1

• Loc: South Australia

Posted 14 July 2021 - 10:53 PM

If your main usage is DSO's at low-mid power then I would go for the 100's. I think aperture (in this case twice the brightness at the same power) will trump ED glass for this usage.

All the best,

Dean

#5 Bosco

Bosco

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 July 2021 - 01:10 AM

Hmm its very tentative to get the semi-apo 100mm and to give it a try. TS Optics sells it for 1300€ and they claim these binos to be waterproof. The combo of 100 semi apo binos + Berlenbach tripod + TS central mount costs 1700€... almost the half of the cost of same combo with ED version...

#6 ihf

ihf

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: California, USA

Posted 15 July 2021 - 05:33 AM

How about a straight 25x100?

Otherwise I would lean towards the 70mm as they are easier to mount and handle and higher grade. Which means more use.

Notice that the 90 degree binoculars need much thicker boxes than straight through or even 45 degrees. That may not matter if kept around the house.

#7 Bosco

Bosco

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 July 2021 - 07:59 AM

Find straight binos uncomfortable to observe, specially at zenith. And 25x100 would have the disadvantage of being fixed magnification

#8 MB_PL

MB_PL

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 16 July 2021 - 06:57 AM

The 70mm EDs are also very good for nature observation and spotting aircraft. But be aware that the smaller BTs (particularly the 70mms) seem to be more prone to various QC issues. Search the forum and you'll see what I mean.

#9 Allan Wade

Allan Wade

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Newcastle, Australia

Posted 18 July 2021 - 06:15 AM

I think the 70’s are a good companion to a bigger binoscope. If you are planning on getting just the one bino, I would go as large as you and your mount can handle. I’ve used all but the 150 APM binoscopes, and they just get better and better with each step up in aperture. 

#10 Bosco

Bosco

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 July 2021 - 02:19 AM

Yes, I thought that getting the 70's would be a good companion to a future purchase of 100 ED but since the price difference between 70 ed and 100 ed is not that big maybe I will save more money and get the 100 ed...

#11 PEterW

PEterW

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: SW London, UK

Posted 19 July 2021 - 06:03 AM

….and they just get better and better with each step up in aperture.

Not a good comment for those with dormant aperture fever….

Peter

#12 gwlee

gwlee

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: 38N 120W

Posted 24 July 2021 - 12:18 PM

To me, a handheld 10x50 binocular and a mounted 70-100mm binocular telescope are such different instruments that it’s difficult to make a meaningful comparison between them. It’s a bit like trying to compare chalk and cheese.

Both are useful for viewing the brighter DSOs and so is a small refractor. I use 50mm FMT-SX binoculars handheld and switch to a refractor with a 2”, 90* AMICI prism at 72mm, and use it between 12-62x. Of course being a refractor, it’s good for at least twice the magnification, but it’s limited to one eye at a time unless fitted with a binoviewer. 

Edited by gwlee, 24 July 2021 - 12:31 PM.

#13 aa6ww

aa6ww

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Sacramento, Calif.

Posted 09 August 2021 - 09:59 AM

I've been all over the map with binoculars, even had the APM 45 deg 100mm ED binoculars which were amazing. Seems like I use them most for comets and comets are mostly chasing the sun so they are always low in the horizon. I was probably the most happy with my 25x100 deluxe from Oberwerks but the interchangable eyepieces of the APM were excellent. 

Currently I have a pair of 15x70 Ultras, I love the sharpness and aperture size, not being too large. I've also considered a pair of the 45 degs 70mm because I like the idea of interchangeable eyepieces, being able to use filters when needed to change magnifications and the 45 degs is the minimum I think for Zenith observing. The size is also acceptable and not overpowering regarding weight and size.

I like both the Oberwerks and APM 45 deg 70mm ED Binoculars. I always lean toward Oberwerks because of their impeccable service. 

Testing for aperture on binoculars doesn't mater to me. Once I get them, I use them and enjoy them, not dissect them.

...Ralph

• Goodchild and Stevenkelby like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics