•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Is it just me or has Jupiter's bottom main belt diminished quite a bit?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Buqibu

Buqibu

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 July 2021 - 10:59 AM

I've been looking at it these past few days with my 4 inch achro and the top main belt is clear, even the thin one above it, but the bottom belt (the one where the Great Red Spot is, my scope presents images the right way up, for others it might be upside down) seems very faint, sometimes borderline invisible. Is this related to changes in actual Jupiter or is it a mix of the relatively small aperture and/or the seeing conditions. Last year I could definetly make it out clearer. Any input is appriciated!

#2 Special Ed

Special Ed

Voyager 1

• Loc: Greenbrier County, WV 38N, 80W

Posted 14 July 2021 - 12:17 PM

No, you are not imagining it.  The appearance of the two main belts changes a lot over time.  Sometimes the entire South Equatorial Belt (SEB), the bottom belt in your description fades away completely only to revive later.

So far in this apparition, the south edge of the SEB (the bottom of the bottom belt) is dark and roiled with turbulence while the north edge (the top of the bottom belt) is very faint.  All this could change, so keep looking.  smile.gif

• JOEinCO likes this

#3 Buqibu

Buqibu

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 July 2021 - 02:09 PM

Ah ok, thank you! That's so cool!

#4 phillip

phillip

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Sterling, Illinois

Posted 15 July 2021 - 04:46 AM

Indeed your Correct! 

Recently was stumped not recognizing my visual in the Northern Edge belt, viewed twin dark images, with Length! 

My recent posting asking if festoons, nope are two noticeable Barges! Don't recall seeing these in prior views. Turns out they often blend in!

I was blown away with an answer actually giving a pic at that 2AM time displaying my view to the T! Awesome! 

Prime time to witness the otherwise Elusive Barge, wow or what, Lol! 

Keep Looking! 

Fantastic! 

XT10

7mm, 6mm orthos

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics