•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Brunton, we hardly knew ya

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Binobumpkin

Binobumpkin

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 July 2021 - 01:38 PM

Brunton did away with their optics division years ago but they still can be had fron inventory stock and ebay. I once had their cute little Lite-Tech 8x22 monocular. doan have it now the eyepiece lens assembly came undone (or I undone it).

all and all it really wasn't too bad despite negative reviews about it's limited focus range. I miss it despite the small f0v and objective but I always found the views thru it pleasurable.

the view didn't seem all that restrictive. so while I'm waiting for my Nikon Monarch 7 8x30 compact bino from Binoculars.com to tide me over till then I ordered another lite-tech monocular offa amazon. that'll perk me up.

Brunton optics had their trademarked Emerald Fire lens coating which I always found attractive.

whee.gif

#2 Supernova74

Supernova74

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Epsom surrey near (London)

Posted 15 July 2021 - 02:17 PM

Lol never heard of them!?

#3 Pinac

Pinac

Apollo

• Loc: Switzerland

Posted 15 July 2021 - 03:17 PM

Yeah, I remember Brunton, some years ago they had at least 4 line of binoculars, their most expensive was the Epoch line which was priced close to the alpha market (over $ 1‘000 and up to $ 2‘500), I wonder who was ever buying that. Then came the Eterna line, middle class, and two cheaper lines, Echo and Lite-Tech. Manufacturing for all of those was outsourced to Japan and / or China.

I haven‘t heard about them in years but don‘t know when they actually stopped the binocular business.

Pinac

#4 Binobumpkin

Binobumpkin

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 July 2021 - 05:38 PM

Lol never heard of them!?

Brunton canada-based was established in the late 1800s. a very old company still in business but without their now defunct optics dept.

smile.png

https://www.brunton....ns/all-products

Edited by Binobumpkin, 15 July 2021 - 05:41 PM.

#5 Binojunky

Binojunky

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 17 July 2021 - 02:25 PM

They used to have a good range of pocket monoculars and compasses, I have a couple knocking around, also they had a range of higher end binoculars called the Epoch,Dave.

#6 George9

George9

Surveyor 1

Posted 18 July 2021 - 09:48 PM

I still use my Brunton Eterna 7x42 Porro prism binoculars, purchased about 20 years ago. Super-wide field of view (66-70 AFOV), but a corresponding amount of field curvature. I got them from the factory for just $110; I guess they were discontinuing the model. I use them mostly for locating things like Mercury. They have a silly red coating, which doesn’t dim too much but does change the hue of lunar eclipses slightly. The AFOV was their main selling point. Also 20mm eye relief at that AFOV.

George

Edited by George9, 18 July 2021 - 09:56 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics