•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Tips to get and keep dark vision during your telescope observations

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Tiago Ferreira

Tiago Ferreira

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Algarve - Portugal

Posted 16 July 2021 - 02:51 PM

Simple video with the methods i use to protect from light pollution street led lights and get dark vision adaptation and preservation during astronomy visual observation nights with my dobsonian telescope:

https://www.youtube....h?v=2rpsxL7P5cs

• treadmarks likes this

#2 rblackadar

rblackadar

Mariner 2

• Loc: Northern California (Mt. Tam)

Posted 16 July 2021 - 03:37 PM

Thanks Tiago, I love your videos.

Like you, I really like my red laser goggles. They make me a more congenial and far less grumpy observer, compared to previously, when my best method was to entreat family members to turn out the lights whenever I came indoors. The goggles are good for the neighbors' porch light, too, which is shaded where I observe but can't be avoided when I'm on the way there and walk past that light.

• Tiago Ferreira likes this

#3 Tiago Ferreira

Tiago Ferreira

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 16 July 2021 - 05:13 PM

Thanks Tiago, I love your videos.

Like you, I really like my red laser goggles. They make me a more congenial and far less grumpy observer, compared to previously, when my best method was to entreat family members to turn out the lights whenever I came indoors. The goggles are good for the neighbors' porch light, too, which is shaded where I observe but can't be avoided when I'm on the way there and walk past that light.

Thanks!

You touch a very important advantage of the red goggles. They also allow to keep everybody happy and keep the harmony at home when family members are doing different things. The first 2 or 3 nights they laugh when we enter with the goggles and then they just get used to see.

#4 MrPink201

MrPink201

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 20 July 2021 - 12:55 PM

An eyepatch - Like a space pirate
-PINK🐙
  • FoxIslandHiker and Tiago Ferreira like this

#5 Tiago Ferreira

Tiago Ferreira

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 20 July 2021 - 05:26 PM

An eyepatch - Like a space pirate
-PINK

yeah. That one i have already in the video.

#6 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

• Loc: Pampanga, PI

Posted 24 July 2021 - 05:41 PM

I agree with creating your own dark space to avoid direct ambient lighting to the extent possible. Then drape a dark hood over your head, too, to avoid almost all ambient light (from the sky, etc). Often I will move away from the exit pupil and into the darkness under the hood to relax and recharge for a minute or two. In light polluted areas, not much you can do about the sky brightness without filters. But, there are things you can do about ambient and direct lighting. Every bit of prevention helps. 

• Jon Isaacs and Tiago Ferreira like this

#7 Tiago Ferreira

Tiago Ferreira

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 25 July 2021 - 05:41 AM

. Every bit of prevention helps. 

waytogo.gifwaytogo.gifwaytogo.gif

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics