•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Cleaning UP another Old Focal 10x50... Issues

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#26 asmart

asmart

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 July 2021 - 04:50 PM

I may get a duplicate bin and 4 others for $30 in an auction. That is including shipping! I will know in a few hours.  When/if I get it, I wont feel bad about using extra force or even hack it up to figure it out!

Edited by asmart, 22 July 2021 - 04:56 PM.

#27 ECP M42

ECP M42

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: central Europe 45°N

Posted 22 July 2021 - 06:23 PM

So there is a patent number on the shaft. I looked it up. It is basically the same mechanism as bushnel and other fast or quick focus mechanisms. In fact the drawing for the patent looks like a typical bushnel focuser  or even a Jason I have. The trick will be to remove the odd wheel/barrel thingy that covers the shaft. Then you can get to the screw inside to pull the eye  pieces out. I have supplied a ltot of pressure but no good so far. 

Below is the Patent doc.

https://pdfpiw.uspto...View first page

Great research! bow.gif  Now just unscrew the screw 32 (on the patent) and the whole eyepiece block will come off! waytogo.gif

#28 asmart

asmart

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 July 2021 - 10:20 PM

Problem is getting to screw 32. On a bushnell or Jason, it is just popping off a small plate. ON this Focal it has this plastic wheel around it. I won an auction of 5 bins including a duplicate of this although much dirtier. I can feel better tearing it up knowing I have another just like it!

#29 ECP M42

ECP M42

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: central Europe 45°N

Posted 22 July 2021 - 10:49 PM

ON this Focal it has this plastic wheel around it.

You have to find a way to open / remove it ... maybe ask your wife  lol.gif  

Come on, now you are close to the solution!  waytogo.gif

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics