•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Advice on adjusting focuser on MEade LX70 M6

Maksutov Meade
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 CBert504

CBert504

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 16 July 2021 - 04:46 PM

I recently obtained a Meade LX70 M6 Mak. It's in great shape. The one thing that i would like to try to improve is the smoothness of the focuser knob. It seems a little "sticky" or "tight" in that there is just enough friction to resist the turn that i end up over focusing when trying to make very small fine focus adjustments with it.

I see the 3 small screws around the collar, but am looking for any advice before I start unscrewing things to try to explore. Might this be as simple as getting that knob off and applying a bit of lubricant someplace? Will continue to do my Google-research, but figured I'd get in front of some experts first.

Attached Thumbnails

• PXL_20210716_213741997.jpg

#2 Bill Barlow

Bill Barlow

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Overland Park KS

Posted 17 July 2021 - 11:21 AM

I would start by running the focuser all the way inward and outward a few times to distribute the lubricant grease along the shaft the focuser travels.  This might reduce the stiffness a bit.  

Bill

• CBert504 likes this

#3 CBert504

CBert504

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 17 July 2021 - 12:48 PM

Thanks Bill. Any ideas / thoughts on what kind of lubricant is used in there? i did find some old threads here on the topic, but am happy to have your thoughts.

Chris

#4 Bill Barlow

Bill Barlow

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Overland Park KS

Posted 19 July 2021 - 10:49 AM

I’ve never re-greased the focus shaft but just racked the focuser inward and outward several times to distribute the grease that is there more evenly.  To me Meade SCT/MAK focusers have a bit more focus shift than Celestron ones.

Bill

Edited by Bill Barlow, 19 July 2021 - 10:50 AM.

#5 deepwoods1

deepwoods1

Vanguard

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 24 July 2021 - 08:37 PM

Try just moving the rubber covering of the focus knob back a tad. It’s flexible and can get jammed and rubs. I have a different, but similar model and got worried when the focus became still. Smooth as butter now. Hope you resolve.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Maksutov, Meade

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics