•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Revisiting ASIAir Pro and Upgraded Software

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 JMW

JMW

Aurora

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Nevada

Posted 17 July 2021 - 03:18 AM

I received the ZWO EAF focuser yesterday. I decided to give the ASIAir Pro another try with my SVX130T, ASI6200MM-Pro/Filter Wheel and ASI176MM guide camera. 

Before I didn't have a supported focus motor and the system wasn't automated because of it. The first thing I did after mounting the focuser was to upgrade the software on my ASIAir Pro. My two cameras, EAF, focus wheel, mount were all found by the ASIAir app and connected without issues.

I used the focus assist quickly nail focus.I didn't bother using a reference park position since the plate solve was the first thing I did after focusing. I did the polar alignment procedure and got polar alignment correct within 5 arc-seconds.. I had no need to guide after that using my AP1100-AEL because the absolute encoders and polar alignment kept my 5 minute exposures free of all drift. Stars were very round. I love that every time I slewed to a target the system would plate solve, recenter and verify with a 2nd plate solve.

I was using my 12.9 inch iPad Pro 2021 and it works great with the ASIAir app. I couldn't find my ST4 cable so I didn't test the auto-guider. I had good amount of stars with my ASI174MM camera using the off-axis guiders.

Overall I was very pleased with the experience. I am still coming up to speed with my NUC and all the astronomy software packages. It will be a while before I can be more productive with the NUC verses the ASIAir Pro. I was pretty impressed that the ASIAir Pro/Raspberry Pi 4 could handle the very large images from the ASI6200MM-Pro.

• davidparks and mariemarie like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics