•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Best software for Nexus II?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Marvin452

Marvin452

Mariner 2

• topic starter
  • Loc: Cape Coral, Fl.

Posted 17 July 2021 - 06:21 AM

For the last 6 months I've been using an Android Galaxy Tablet with SkySafari 6 Pro and a Nexus II as push-to for my Losmandy non-computerized mount. 

When I tried accessing the SkySafari app on my tablet today it came up blank, I tried SkySafari on my phone but couldn't get the the encoders going the correct way and couldn't get proper alignment. 

This isn't the first time I've had issues with SkySafari and my Nexus II.

The only other software besides SkySafari that seems to have good setup instructions is SkyTools 4 but its $140.00....

Can anyone give me some good recommendations on alternate software for the Nexus II OR troubleshooting help with SkySafari?

Thanks in advance

Trent

#2 MikeHC8

MikeHC8

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: San Diego

Posted 17 July 2021 - 06:56 AM

I am not an expert, but I would reload SkySafari first, also you should have a reset button on Nexus II.  I always start with the basics and work my way up.  It is sometimes hard to find the problem, but here is a link that mite help.https://www.cloudyni...8-problemstill/.  I understand and I do fill your pain, always when you think you have master the mount it always seem to let you know who is the boss.

#3 Marvin452

Marvin452

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 17 July 2021 - 07:49 AM

I tried re-installing SkySafari on the tablet two times, no luck.

I'll have to give the reset button a try and see if I can get it to align on my phone. I'm seriously thinking about SkyTools 4, SkySafari has been a little wonky on my tablet  from day 1.

SkySafari has been good on my phone but tonight is the first time I've tried using the Nexus with SkySafari on my phone and I couldn't get it to align on more than 1 star.

Trent

#4 obrazell

obrazell

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: United Kingdom

Posted 17 July 2021 - 02:50 PM

Trent I am not sure how the Nexus II is powered but I found with my Nexus I that the internal 9V battery did not last long and once the power started to go then odd things happened. The only way I ever got it to work was with an external 12V source. If the Nexus II is also powered by an internal battery that may be an issue.. Remember the battery is powering both the encoders and the WiFi and that can drian them prety fast.

#5 Marvin452

Marvin452

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 19 July 2021 - 09:01 AM

The problem I'm having is with SkySafari, not the Nexus II.

If I Cant resolve the problem I will be forced to try Cartes Du Ciel or Sky Tools 4.

#6 swsantos

swsantos

Messenger

• Loc: Rhode Island

Posted 20 July 2021 - 08:14 PM

If you couldn't get 'the encoders going the correct way" meaning they seemed backwards you might need to put a minus sign before the encoder resolution number in Sky Safari.

When I put 8192 / 8192 into the encoder resolution box in SkySafari everything was backwards and made no sense and changing it to -8192 / -8192 fixed the problem. Obviously substitute your own encoder resolution if not 8192. Try minus signs on both number, one, or the other to see if it any of those combinations help.

I am also assuming that you have the altitude wire plugged into the altitute jack and azimuth wire into the azimuth jack is the Nexus is connected to your encoders with a Y shaped wire like mine. I have made that mistake before too not plugging them into the right ones  foreheadslap.gif  DOH!

You say that you are not having a Nexus problem but a SkySafari problem, but if the above minus sign thing does not work emailing Serge at AstroDevices might help he is very knowledgeable about SkySafari and Nexus and how they play together and he might be able to help you.

If SkySafari "came up blank" on your tablet then uninstalling and reinstalling usually fixes strange behaviour like coming up blank. Unless its not compatible with your tablet for some reason perhaps operating system version etc? Maybe someone from SkySafari will chime in here with some tech support or perhaps reaching out to them with a support ticket from their website might help.

Edited by swsantos, 20 July 2021 - 08:17 PM.

#7 Marvin452

Marvin452

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 21 July 2021 - 10:18 AM

Thanks to all who responded.

I found the problem with SkySafari, the fix was going into Google Play and deleting its cache and data. Once I did that SkySafari was able to download its update files and its now working on my tablet and phone!! Thanks again

• swsantos likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics