•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Ultra wide view with my AT60ED

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 descott12

descott12

Gemini

• topic starter
  • Loc: Charlotte, NC

Posted 17 July 2021 - 01:41 PM

Hello all,

I have had a HyperStar for my C8 for several years and I love the fast, wide view but I have been pretty lazy lately and haven't wanted to muck around on the front of the scope...so I decided to try a small fast refractor. I got an AT60ED with the reducer/flattener. It is f4.8 with a whopping 276 arc-min view when used with my 294MC Pro.  I really wanted it for sweeping views of the milky way, the Cygnus loop, etc.

Here is a shot from last night of the Small Sagittarius Star Cloud. So much to look at and it was fantastic to view on my large flat screen at full resolution. Mesmerizing and so much to look at.

I had to butcher it and shrink it to upload so just imagine at full resolution!

The AT60 is tiny but really performs. With the reducer/flattener, stars are great all the way to the edge. I never really appreciated good star quality until now. My C8  never gives perfectly sharp stars like this little refractor. And you can insert a 2" filter in the imaging train.

SharpCap RAW16, gain 316, Exp 27 seconds. Total time ~5 minutes. Darks but no flats. 294 MC with IDAS LPS P2.

The short focal length also makes it really easy to do a long exposure. I didn't even polar align or balance my mount this time.

Enjoy

Attached Thumbnails

• 00547.jpg

• Ptarmigan, Stargazer3236, Alien Observatory and 1 other like this

#2 Sacred Heart

Sacred Heart

Apollo

Posted 18 July 2021 - 04:01 AM

Really nice.   You can do alot with a little refractor and a camera now a days.  No PA or balance,  you were pretty close.  I do not know where in the sky this is, but you may want to sink some time into this one, hours not minutes

Thanks for sharing,  Joe.

#3 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

World Controller

• Moderators
  • Loc: Georgia

Posted 18 July 2021 - 07:33 AM

The AT60 is tiny but really performs. With the reducer/flattener, stars are great all the way to the edge. I never really appreciated good star quality until now. My C8  never gives perfectly sharp stars like this little refractor. And you can insert a 2" filter in the imaging train.

Yeah, I have the slightly bigger AT72EDII and I am similarly impressed with the scope. No cool down issues versus SCTs and the views are sharp. These FPL-53 ED doublets are great little scopes for EAA.

• Jon_Doh likes this

#4 Noah4x4

Noah4x4

Aurora

• Loc: Colchester UK

Posted 18 July 2021 - 03:15 PM

I have been mulling over whether I should buy a Williams Redcat or something else (like the AT60D that I have not seen available in the UK). My main rig is no longer portable as it is a fully loaded remote controlled EAA rig and I observe from indoors. As we emerge post-covid, I expect to travel somewhat more. Portable (including flying) and EAA remain the operative words. A small Refractor might be ideal, but frankly, I can't make up my mind, which scope and what tripod. Dave's post is timely as it encourages me whilst further arousing my doubts about which small Refractor. Any thoughts? Thanks all.

#5 descott12

descott12

Gemini

• topic starter
  • Loc: Charlotte, NC

Posted 18 July 2021 - 05:48 PM

I have been mulling over whether I should buy a Williams Redcat or something else (like the AT60D that I have not seen available in the UK). My main rig is no longer portable as it is a fully loaded remote controlled EAA rig and I observe from indoors. As we emerge post-covid, I expect to travel somewhat more. Portable (including flying) and EAA remain the operative words. A small Refractor might be ideal, but frankly, I can't make up my mind, which scope and what tripod. Dave's post is timely as it encourages me whilst further arousing my doubts about which small Refractor. Any thoughts? Thanks all.

Hey Phil,

This little AT60 is no bigger than my forearm and really top quality. I also have a 102 Mak and it is also very small. Both could fit in a single padded backpack and would complement each other very nicely. Of course, then you need a mount, power, cameras, ASIAIR or computer....

As I recall, one of our active members in this forum has a very portable and completely automated setup using maybe redcat and all ASI hardware. He gets great results and the whole thing is tiny. Just can't quite remember who that was...

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics