•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Jupiter & Saturn observing

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#1 REC

REC

Voyager 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: NC

Posted 17 July 2021 - 02:37 PM

Just wondering who has been up late to view these two planets? I see they reach pretty high in the sky this year and around 1pm here in NC. That's a little too late for me and the humidiy at that time of night really gets pretty bad here. So I'm waiting for a few weeks when they are up high enough earlier in the night. I see the size of them are pretty decent this year. Jupiter is about 47' right now and transits the sky at 3:30 here. Opposition is 8/19 and Saturn is 8/2.

So, those who have been up late observing, how they looking this year?

Clear skies all!

• Rollo and Dobs O Fun like this

#2 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators
  • Loc: PA, USA, Planet Earth

Posted 18 July 2021 - 01:19 AM

I've observed Jupiter and Saturn a number of times during the past couple of months using telescopes ranging in aperture from 5 to 17 inches.  Unfortunately, I've haven't had a night when the seeing has been very good so far so the views haven't been exceptional.

• caseyfinn likes this

#3 REC

REC

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 18 July 2021 - 02:39 PM

I've observed Jupiter and Saturn a number of times during the past couple of months using telescopes ranging in aperture from 5 to 17 inches.  Unfortunately, I've haven't had a night when the seeing has been very good so far so the views haven't been exceptional.

Yeah, seeing conditions are always a problem. Hoping for a few good nights. I have a 5" Mak and a 8" SCT that I will be using with a Baader 8-24mm. Both scopes are f/10. The zoom is a good tool for planets as you can dial in the best power to match the seeing conditions. I'm hoping to get at least 150x on an average night and maybe 200x once in a while.

Clear (steady) skies!

#4 DirtyRod

DirtyRod

Mariner 2

• Loc: Arizona

Posted 18 July 2021 - 03:16 PM

I see them pretty much every night here in AZ. Fighting clouds this month but the sky is fairly clear normally and they look OK on my little 90mm Mak. Here is Saturn from last night and Jupiter from earlier in the week. Not in the same league as images posted by others but good enough for me. 

Attached Thumbnails

• 071821 Saturn using LPF.jpg
  • 070821 Jupiter.jpg

Edited by DirtyRod, 18 July 2021 - 03:20 PM.

• Dave Mitsky, Special Ed, JIMZ7 and 9 others like this

#5 jeffmac

jeffmac

Apollo

• Loc: Triad area, NC

Posted 18 July 2021 - 03:57 PM

I've observed them both around 4:00 am several times when they are relatively near the meridian. While Saturn was lower and Jupiter was placed higher, the seeing was good at these times. It usually is early in the morning. They both looked very good, especially Jupiter at the higher altitude. It is also cooler with seemingly less mosquitos that time of the morning. As the planets rise earlier, the seeing usually gets worse around here, until they are well placed at twilight. Jupiter has a couple of interesting barges above the NEB right now. I've been using a Tak FC100 for the observations.

• Rollo, REC, Paul Morow and 2 others like this

#6 phillip

phillip

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Sterling, Illinois

Posted 18 July 2021 - 06:39 PM

Yes on Jupiter the Barges are exceptional to see now as edge of the main belt lessened at the edge releasing impressive view. Often they otherwise blend in. The recent pair stood out quite well. 

I've fought conditions to heavy mist and unsteady sky here in the Midwest, but have caught above marginal conditions near good seeing. 

Also enjoy the Jupiter lunar shadow transits, believe one sked tonite.

So far overcast but forecast likely some clearing, fingers crossed !  

The 7mm eyepiece often gives my best view with recent sky, but 6mm at 200x can also work.

XT10

Currently using orthos, 7mm, 6mm also an 8mm Clave

4.8mm Nagler ready for a rare exceptional sky

Edited by phillip, 18 July 2021 - 06:56 PM.

#7 CBM1970

CBM1970

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Southern Maine

Posted 18 July 2021 - 07:45 PM

I've had several early morning observing sessions on Jupiter and Saturn over the past several weeks from Southern Maine. I typically get out there at around 3am.

My Saturn views have been marginal, but I've had much better luck with Jupiter. I'm pretty sure the difference in viewing quality is related to the 5 or 6 degree altitude difference above the horizon that is favoring Jupiter.

I've had some very sharp views of cloud bands and the GRS. Things typically max out at around 170-180x (though 150x has been the sweet spot on some mornings).

I haven't really caught the barges at the eyepiece, but they sometimes show up in my smartphone photos.

Edited by CBM1970, 18 July 2021 - 07:46 PM.

• REC and Paul Morow like this

#8 phillip

phillip

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Sterling, Illinois

Posted 19 July 2021 - 01:49 AM

Barges are there now, had several clouds,  but Jupiter stayed open an low and behold the current shadow transit just above the twin Barges moments ago. 

7mm worked great so shocked tho had clouds didnt try 6mm view, sure it would also Work!

Now, check it Out! 

XT10

6mm ortho- Wow! 

Barges aren't huge but note definite line to their shape, awsome to see these stand out so Well! 

Edited by phillip, 19 July 2021 - 02:03 AM.

• REC likes this

#9 REC

REC

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 20 July 2021 - 12:52 PM

I've observed them both around 4:00 am several times when they are relatively near the meridian. While Saturn was lower and Jupiter was placed higher, the seeing was good at these times. It usually is early in the morning. They both looked very good, especially Jupiter at the higher altitude. It is also cooler with seemingly less mosquitos that time of the morning. As the planets rise earlier, the seeing usually gets worse around here, until they are well placed at twilight. Jupiter has a couple of interesting barges above the NEB right now. I've been using a Tak FC100 for the observations.

Sound good, but I can't stay up that late. Better for me next month.

Clear skies!

#10 REC

REC

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 20 July 2021 - 12:53 PM

Barges are there now, had several clouds,  but Jupiter stayed open an low and behold the current shadow transit just above the twin Barges moments ago. 

7mm worked great so shocked tho had clouds didnt try 6mm view, sure it would also Work!

Now, check it Out! 

XT10

6mm ortho- Wow! 

Barges aren't huge but note definite line to their shape, awsome to see these stand out so Well! 

Sounds great, thanks for the post!

#11 REC

REC

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 20 July 2021 - 12:56 PM

I see them pretty much every night here in AZ. Fighting clouds this month but the sky is fairly clear normally and they look OK on my little 90mm Mak. Here is Saturn from last night and Jupiter from earlier in the week. Not in the same league as images posted by others but good enough for me. 

Damm good for a 90mm Mak. I have one from meade and also a 125 that I'm going to use on them.

• DirtyRod likes this

#12 nibiru711

nibiru711

Explorer 1

Posted 20 July 2021 - 01:54 PM

Go ahead and start observing because they have been really good except for a couple times during the last near full moon. I find warm humid weather to generally be good for observing the planets except with cad telescope it will dew up. I'm only 15 miles from North Carolina border so it's pretty much the same weather here.

#13 DirtyRod

DirtyRod

Mariner 2

• Loc: Arizona

Posted 20 July 2021 - 02:49 PM

Damm good for a 90mm Mak. I have one from meade and also a 125 that I'm going to use on them.

Appreciate that. I've been told that I'm pushing my little 90 to it's limit but I figured that was the objective. I suspect your 125 will produce much better images. 

#14 jeffmac

jeffmac

Apollo

• Loc: Triad area, NC

Posted 20 July 2021 - 03:31 PM

Sound good, but I can't stay up that late. Better for me next month.

Clear skies!

When I planned to observe them, I turned in early, set my alarm, got up and out and observed for an hour or so and then went back to bed with rings, belts and barges in my head. smile.gif
  • Bener likes this

#15 Rick Runcie

Rick Runcie

Vostok 1

Posted 21 July 2021 - 08:35 AM

I've been doing the early morning rising for the last couple of months to observe Saturn and Jupiter. I'm retired so its alot easier for me. I would be observing in the evening till around midnight go to bed and wake up at 3 a.m. and stay up till about 5:30 and then try to go back to bed for another two or three hours. I can do that for a couple days when it start stretching for three or four my heart usually lets me know by going into a fib that I need more sleep. So I've been more conscious of my sleep now.I'm still doing it, but now they're up a little earlier. Even in New Jersey we can get good to excellent seeing usually in small Windows between 3 and 5 a.m. I'm a little disappointed that they are moving closer to the evening sky. I've had some exceptional viewing at those times. A good friend of mine was doubting some of my sketches until he came over at 3 a.m. one morning and was fortunate to have very good seeing and was blown away by the number of ovals that he could see in Jupiter's belts. These observations were being made with a 10" Zambuto/teeter dob. and a FS-152.

Best regards, Richard
  • Special Ed, Rollo, EverlastingSky and 4 others like this

#16 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators
  • Loc: PA, USA, Planet Earth

Posted 21 July 2021 - 04:27 PM

Saturn will culminate at around 2:00 a.m. local time tonight.

Here's a screenshot from Stellarium.

Attached Thumbnails

• Jupiter and Saturn 7-21-21 Stellarium.JPG

#17 barbie

barbie

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Northeast Ohio

Posted 22 July 2021 - 09:38 AM

I observed Saturn around 1:00 a.m. local time Thursday morning at 129x in my 90mm Maksutov and it was quite sharp with Cassini's division showing very well considering the planet's low altitude.
  • REC likes this

#18 REC

REC

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 22 July 2021 - 02:22 PM

Go ahead and start observing because they have been really good except for a couple times during the last near full moon. I find warm humid weather to generally be good for observing the planets except with cad telescope it will dew up. I'm only 15 miles from North Carolina border so it's pretty much the same weather here.

Well, if I use my C102, I won't have to worry much about dew as I would the SCT.

#19 REC

REC

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 22 July 2021 - 02:24 PM

Saturn will culminate at around 2:00 a.m. local time tonight.

Here's a screenshot from Stellarium.

That just the position I'm waiting for to clear the trees in my yard. Pretty high by them as well. Thanks for the post.

#20 vdog

vdog

Vanguard

• Loc: California Central Valley, U.S.A.

Posted 24 July 2021 - 01:11 PM

I had a few good sessions in the early morning during the last few weeks.  Lately, I've been trying the evenings between 10 and midnight, but I'm not having much luck.  I've been fighting clouds, terrible seeing, and land-based obstacles such as hot roofs, sunscreen tarps, and power lines.  I would suggest getting out after midnight when they are higher in the sky.

#21 stubeeef

stubeeef

Apollo

• Loc: NW NC

Posted 24 July 2021 - 01:28 PM

I watch them almost every morning, been flying a lot of red eyes from LAX to FLL (Airline pilot).

Wishing I could see them in a scope every time!

#22 nibiru711

nibiru711

Explorer 1

Posted 24 July 2021 - 03:58 PM

I've been using three different telescopes to view the planets and the moon orion 6 and 8 inch dobsonians and 127mm orion maksutov. I've gotten my best views of Saturn and Jupiter with my 8 inch orion.  The better nights on Sturn I've been able to see four different color regions of Saturn and sometimes almost like three different rings on Saturn but I think only two, however. Juipter I have counted up to 10 different regions on a good night and up to five fesetoons. The 127mm maksutov is still better at high power on the moon than the two dobsonians. Sometimes the whiter regions are on the 6 inch dobsonian.

• bob kelly likes this

#23 rkelley8493

rkelley8493

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: The Emerald Coast

Posted 25 July 2021 - 12:03 PM

I got a pretty good session last night, first time in weeks [it has been a very wet summer in the southeast]. Here are a couple of shots I got with my cell phone thru my Stellarvue 130 triplet. I was using a 4.5 Delos for Jupiter and 3.7 Ethos for Saturn.

PXL_20210725_042328902 sva t2zp 4.5del jove.jpeg

PXL_20210725_042339994 sva t2zp jove 4.5 del.jpeg

PXL_20210725_041600425 sva t2zp 3.7e sat.jpeg

• Dave Mitsky, Kutno, vdog and 4 others like this

#24 macdonjh

macdonjh

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 25 July 2021 - 01:03 PM

That was fun...

I set up my 8" Newtonian last night to observe the Ganymede and Europa shadow transits.  I started at approximately 0730 UT when Ganymede's shadow was approximately 2/3 across the disc.  I didn't see Ganymede.  The seeing ranged from poor to good.  While I never lost sight of the equatorial belts (seeing wasn't that bad), sometimes the shadow disappeared.  Other times, though, seeing snapped-to and I could see details in the belts.  I used magnifications of 167x, 200x, and 250x.  200x was the sweet spot when seeing popped, 250x was almost always too much.

I missed 1st and 2nd contacts for Europa's shadow, but I came back outside just in time to see 2nd contact for Europa and 4th contact for Ganymede.  What a great coincidence the moons left and arrived at so close to the same time.  For a few minutes Jupiter looked like it had ears.  I was able to follow Europa for a while as it transited, but I lost it after a while.  Another pleasant surprise was to see Europa's shadow and Europa flanking the Great Red Spot.

Interesting phenomenon I noticed last night: when Ganymede and Europa were close to Jupiter's limb, each moon looked quite bright and very white.  Previously, I was unable to find Ganymede and later I lost Europa.  As the satellites get closer to the central meridian, do they get lost in the glare?  Does that also cause the contrast between the planet and the moons' colors to decrease, making them harder to see when transiting?

• Dave Mitsky and Special Ed like this

#25 Bener

Bener

Sputnik

• Loc: Ithaca NY

Posted 25 July 2021 - 07:19 PM

The weather here has been lots of rain and there’s also been smoke/haze from the fires in the western US. Fortunately, two days ago, Friday evening followed a clear, breezy day with clear skies so I was able to observe Saturn 🪐 around 9:30 pm and Jupiter a little less than an hour later. I am a rank beginner so I can’t say if the “seeing “ was average or better, but I can say I was thrilled to be able to see Saturn, make out the rings and see Jupiter and four of its moons. Close to 11 pm I was able to see two bands across Jupiter.

This is a first for me, so of course I was excited and happy that I had recently acquired my 6.5 HD60 eyepiece. It was easier for me to track Jupiter with that as compared to the 10mm ep with a narrower view. I was hoping to see them again tonight but it’s been pretty hazy all day.

Edited by Bener, 25 July 2021 - 08:52 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics