•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Jupiter & Saturn observing

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#26 macdonjh

macdonjh

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 25 July 2021 - 08:31 PM

The weather here has been lots of rain and there’s also been smoke/haze from the fires in the western US. Fortunately two days ago, Friday evening followed a clear, breezy day with clear skies so I was able to observe Saturn around 9:30 pm and Jupiter a little less than an hour later. I am a rank beginner so I can’t say if the “seeing “ was average or better, but I can say I was thrilled to be able to see Saturn, make out the rings and see Jupiter and four of its moons. Close to 11 pm I was able to see two bands across Jupiter.

This is a first for me, so of course I was excited and happy that I had recently acquired my 6.5 HD60 eyepiece. It was easier for me to track Jupiter with that as compared to the 10mm ep with a narrower view. I was hoping to see them again tonight but it’s been pretty hazy all day.

Bener, welcome to Cloudy Nights.  I'm glad you enjoyed your first sights of Saturn and Jupiter.  In some ways it only gets better from here as you learn how to make the most of your gear and judge the sky conditions so you'll have an idea what to expect even before you set your scope up.  That said, you never forget your first sighting.

• payner, Katharine and Bener like this

#27 Bener

Bener

Sputnik

• Loc: Ithaca NY

Posted 25 July 2021 - 09:30 PM

Thank you very much for the welcome, macdonjh.  

Definitely memorable!  I have been practicing using the gear even if the viewing isn’t ideal and I can tell I already improved. I can actually find what I am looking for :shocked:

#28 ABQJeff

ABQJeff

Ranger 4

• Loc: New Mexico

Posted 25 July 2021 - 10:26 PM

On Satur(n)day morning at 3 am in Kauai we had super steady, clear skies. I had the best view of Jupiter I have EVER had: saw the GRS for the first time and a transit shadow of Io to boot! This was in my Altair Wave 102mm F/7 (FPL-53 triplet APO) that I specifically got for my trips to HI (this view alone justified my purchase and hassle taking it with me). I was viewing at 238x with a 3mm Televue Delight and the view was rock steady; I saw ~15-20 distinct cloud bands on Jupiter in addition to features mentioned above.

Saturn was lower in the sky at this time so was picking up thermals, but previous night I had a good view with several cloud bands and Cassini gap (but not a best ever).

BTW if anyone travels to Kauai, a great spot to view is the Kawai’ele waterbird sanctuary on the west side. Minimal light pollution and is on the dry side of the island (PMRF does a great job at light pollution control).

Note: Can contact “Rocket” Roz at Stargaze Kauai if you want company.

Note 2: at 6000-7000 ft, I have just as dark and clearer/more transparent skies (less clouds/haze) at home in NM than sea level in HI, but seeing is not nearly as good bc of jet stream air flowing over NM mountains. I can’t wait to try Haleakala or Mauna Kea.
  • Special Ed likes this

#29 nibiru711

nibiru711

Explorer 1

Posted 26 July 2021 - 03:13 AM

There must have two moons transiting Jupiter last night around 1:30 a.m. because I had my 8 inch dobsonian out and with 5mm eyepiece I could see two dark circle black dots around Jupiter.

Edited by nibiru711, 26 July 2021 - 03:14 AM.

#30 astrokeith

astrokeith

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Surrey, UK

Posted 26 July 2021 - 03:49 AM

There must have two moons transiting Jupiter last night around 1:30 a.m. because I had my 8 inch dobsonian out and with 5mm eyepiece I could see two dark circle black dots around Jupiter.

The Earth is just starting to cross Jupiter's equator and we will see lots of eclipses and transits for a while. (happens every 6 years)

Around 22:00 UTC on 1st August Ganymede starts to transit in front of Europa. Quite a rare event. Takes about 2 hours. Visible in the UK at least.

Edited by astrokeith, 26 July 2021 - 07:06 AM.

• REC, manusfisch and Bener like this

#31 rkelley8493

rkelley8493

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: The Emerald Coast

Posted 26 July 2021 - 11:04 AM

The Earth is just starting to cross Jupiter's equator and we will see lots of eclipses and transits for a while. (happens every 6 years)

Around 22:00 UTC on 1st August Ganymede starts to transit in front of Europa. Quite a rare event. Takes about 2 hours. Visible in the UK at least.

There's another eclipse & occultation on the 15 of Aug, but idk if it will be visible in the UK. I know it happens during the daytime for the USA, but a few of our friends from Down Under will be viewing this event [if the weather permits].

https://www.cloudyni...pse/?p=11217792

#32 astrokeith

astrokeith

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Surrey, UK

Posted 26 July 2021 - 11:44 AM

There's another eclipse & occultation on the 15 of Aug, but idk if it will be visible in the UK. I know it happens during the daytime for the USA, but a few of our friends from Down Under will be viewing this event [if the weather permits].

That one looks really nice, with Jupiter and shadows. The one on the 1st August doesnt have that backdropmad.gif

• rkelley8493 likes this

#33 stubeeef

stubeeef

Apollo

• Loc: NW NC

Posted 26 July 2021 - 12:11 PM

I think this is those 2 giants....

From the LAX flight line last night after my preflight...hope they are there-picture uploads are small files

Attached Thumbnails

• ###.png

• rkelley8493 and Bener like this

#34 macdonjh

macdonjh

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 26 July 2021 - 01:29 PM

OK you two, no more posting about events we can't see. angry.png biggrin.png

#35 wrvond

wrvond

Gemini

• Loc: West Virginia

Posted 26 July 2021 - 04:33 PM

I have friends coming over for a viewing session - we chose September 3rd as the best compromise between temperature, time, moon phase and of course, altitude.

Saturn is going to be 30* elevation in the SSE which is nearly optimal. I'll have five scopes set up along with several binoculars. Now all I have to do is hope the weather cooperates.

IMG_0066.jpg

• csphere.d likes this

#36 Bener

Bener

Sputnik

Posted 26 July 2021 - 06:19 PM

Last night it was very hazy here as darkness fell and the potential to get to see anything seemed minuscule. I went to bed and got up around 2am and was thrilled to see clear skies and Jupiter was easily visible without needing a scope!

For my second siting of Jupiter, I got some great views and the extra treat of seeing that two of its moons were now on the opposite side of the planet from what I saw just 3 days ago when 4 of the planets were lined up on one side. Very cool  

• csphere.d and rkelley8493 like this

#37 rkelley8493

rkelley8493

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 26 July 2021 - 08:14 PM

Last night it was very hazy here as darkness fell and the potential to get to see anything seemed minuscule. I went to bed and got up around 2am and was thrilled to see clear skies and Jupiter was easily visible without needing a scope!

For my second siting of Jupiter, I got some great views and the extra treat of seeing that two of its moons were now on the opposite side of the planet from what I saw just 3 days ago when 4 of the planets were lined up on one side. Very cool  

One of the reasons Jupiter is my favorite is bc it looks different every time I see it.. Whether it's the color in the cloud bands, the Great Red Spot, the moons in orbit, or shadow transits, there's always something new to see. Very dynamiccoolnod.gif

• barbie, jeffmac and Bener like this

#38 Bener

Bener

Sputnik

Posted 26 July 2021 - 08:20 PM

Oh, and in my excitement telling you folks about what I saw of Jupiter, I neglected to even mention that I was also able to see Saturn for the 2nd time. It was a better view than what I had seen 3 days ago because Saturn was up higher in the sky.  It’s looking like tonight we’ll have relatively clear skies, so maybe I will get some more nice views of both Jupiter and Saturn. 

I think the Barlow I ordered arrives tomorrow. I am looking forward to looking at the skies with it, and already know that as much as I love my 6.5 HD60, I am going to want a bit more magnification if the OneSky is up to it.

• rkelley8493 likes this

#39 Bener

Bener

Sputnik

Posted 26 July 2021 - 08:26 PM

One of the reasons Jupiter is my favorite is bc it looks different every time I see it.. Whether it's the color in the cloud bands, the Great Red Spot, the moons in orbit, or shadow transits, there's always something new to see. Very dynamiccoolnod.gif

Yes, even with my so very limited experience, I have already seen what you mean about Jupiter being so dynamic. I am also glad that you pointed out how dynamic the views are…I was sort of chalking up all the variations in what I was seeing to my ineptitude. Now I see that perhaps that’s not the case grin.gif

Edited by Bener, 26 July 2021 - 08:33 PM.

• rkelley8493 likes this

#40 barbie

barbie

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Northeast Ohio

Posted 27 July 2021 - 08:46 PM

I got a relatively good view of Saturn with my 76mm apo refractor on Tuesday morning despite the very hazy sky where I'm located. Smoke from the wildfires out west has severely hampered my planet observing this summer.

• rkelley8493 likes this

#41 rkelley8493

rkelley8493

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 27 July 2021 - 11:25 PM

OK you two, no more posting about events we can't see. angry.png biggrin.png

But if others could view the event from their location/perspective and take photos, we then can share the experience laugh.gif

Edited by rkelley8493, 27 July 2021 - 11:27 PM.

#42 treadmarks

treadmarks

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Boston MA

Posted 29 July 2021 - 11:45 AM

This year Jupiter is a lot better because it's finally rising to a decent altitude, and on top of that it's closer than it's ever been in my astro career. One thing I've learned from observing Jupiter is that the weather makes a big difference. If there's no major storms or activity, it will look rather bland. I used to blame my telescope for this, but now I go and check the latest astrophotos to see if I missed anything.

I looked at Saturn last night in my refractor, and it must bring me good luck because every time I look at it, I am really impressed. It's probably the brightness and the lower magnifications. The real target for last night was M11 where I was much less lucky, clouds moved in and I couldn't see the related constellation here anyway.

• Rollo likes this

#43 mandala8

mandala8

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 30 July 2021 - 07:28 AM

I think I am lucky to be at negative 6 latitude, Jupiter and Saturn rise up early, Jupiter rise at 7:16 pm local time and transit at 1:27 AM at the altitude of 83 degree above the horizon. Just few days ago (26 July 2021) I took the live video of Jupiter, you can find this at my Youtube channel from the Saturn link below, just look for the latest Jupiter video, because I am not allowed to post more than 1 link here. The video has been post processed to increase the saturation, sharpness and denoise. 

https://www.youtube....h?v=582iS4GdypQ This is the Saturn raw video that I took last year, with no post processing, just cut and trim only, directly from old phone camera. I am glad with the result as if it's already been stacked 

Edited by mandala8, 30 July 2021 - 07:35 AM.

• jprideaux likes this

#44 jprideaux

jprideaux

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Richmond, VA

Posted 01 August 2021 - 10:43 PM

I enjoyed looking at both Saturn and Jupiter last night at around 110x with my refractor. 92mm, F5.5, 10mm eyepieces, 2.17x Barlow, WO binoviewer.
  • Voyager 3 likes this

#45 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators
  • Loc: PA, USA, Planet Earth

Posted 02 August 2021 - 01:06 PM

I had a fairly good view of Saturn on Friday night using the Naylor Observatory's 17" f/15 classical Cassegrain at magnifications up to 259x.  Jupiter didn't look nearly as good at the time, however.

#46 REC

REC

Voyager 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: NC

Posted 02 August 2021 - 02:14 PM

Wow, I did not know that! Every six years, huh. So, will it be like that all year you think? Glad to see Jupiter is so high in the sky from here in NC. Must get 38* up at best.

• Stardust Dave likes this

#47 Stardust Dave

Stardust Dave

Apollo

• -----

Posted 02 August 2021 - 02:17 PM

Viewed Jupiter this AM at 215X to 350X.  Caught the transit of Io by complete accident.  Shadow appeared very distinct as Io got closer made "contact", soon Io's tiny disk was easily visible transiting the face of Jupiter.  Yellow filter showed it well .

I noticed (think) there was barge along the N edge of the NEB near center of disk (say around 01:00 PDT)  did not see any white oval spots or other major markings festoon ect.    

May have seen more well rested.  Easy to pass many hours on this planet.

Edited by Stardust Dave, 03 August 2021 - 12:11 AM.

#48 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators

Posted 03 August 2021 - 02:02 AM

I witnessed two of the Galilean satellites go into eclipse this morning, something I can't recall ever doing previously.  I watched Europa enter eclipse using the Naylor Observatory's 17" f/15 classical Cassegrain at 170x.  Europa seemed to begin to decrease in brightness a bit before 4:38 UT (12:38 a.m. EDT).  By 4:40 UT, it had completely disappeared.

Not long afterwards I closed up the French Dome and drove home, as high clouds had covered a good deal of the sky. A bit later I set up the 6" f/8 Orion SkyQuest XT Dob that I keep in my garage for casual observing and waited for Io to be eclipsed.  I couldn't use as much magnification, perhaps 130x with an 8-24mm Tele Vue Click Stop zoom eyepiece, and the view was decidedly inferior to that produced by the 17" but I was able to see Io go into eclipse.

Tuesday, August 3, 2021

04:38 UT, Europa enters eclipse by Jupiter's shadow.
06:20 UT, Io enters eclipse by Jupiter's shadow.
08:26 UT, Europa exits occultation behind Jupiter.
09:02 UT, Io exits occultation behind Jupiter.

https://skyandtelesc...cript-utility/#

• Special Ed and CBM1970 like this

#49 CBM1970

CBM1970

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Southern Maine

Posted 03 August 2021 - 12:43 PM

I witnessed two of the Galilean satellites go into eclipse this morning, something I can't recall ever doing previously.  I watched Europa enter eclipse using the Naylor Observatory's 17" f/15 classical Cassegrain at 170x.  Europa seemed to begin to decrease in brightness a bit before 4:38 UT (12:38 a.m. EDT).  By 4:40 UT, it had completely disappeared.

Not long afterwards I closed up the French Dome and drove home, as high clouds had covered a good deal of the sky. A bit later I set up the 6" f/8 Orion SkyQuest XT Dob that I keep in my garage for casual observing and waited for Io to be eclipsed.  I couldn't use as much magnification, perhaps 130x with an 8-24mm Tele Vue Click Stop zoom eyepiece, and the view was decidedly inferior to that produced by the 17" but I was able to see Io go into eclipse.

Tuesday, August 3, 2021

04:38 UT, Europa enters eclipse by Jupiter's shadow.
06:20 UT, Io enters eclipse by Jupiter's shadow.
08:26 UT, Europa exits occultation behind Jupiter.
09:02 UT, Io exits occultation behind Jupiter.

https://skyandtelesc...cript-utility/#

Thank you for this report! 

I also watched Jupiter eclipse Europa last night, and I also noticed that it seemed to dim and then disappear into the blackness a couple of minutes prior to reaching what I perceived to be the limb of Jupiter. This was my first time seeing one of Jupiter's moons eclipsed by the planet.

I was using a 6 inch reflector, and I found that the best views were at around 130x from my location at the time as well.

I found it so interesting to read your account, as it was so similar to what I observed last night. (Though I didn't stick around for Io.)

Clear skies!

Edited by CBM1970, 03 August 2021 - 12:44 PM.

• Dave Mitsky likes this

#50 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators

Posted 03 August 2021 - 02:10 PM

While I was using the 17" classical Cassegrain, I was able to observe Saturn at magnifications as high as 324x.  Its rings were quite bright due to the Seelinger effect and I could see some banding in the globe of the planet.

Jupiter was lower in the sky, of course, and did not fare very well at 324x.  At 170x, I had one of the better views of the gas giant so far this year, however.

• payner and CBM1970 like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics