•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Jupiter & Saturn observing

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#51 barbie

barbie

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Northeast Ohio

Posted 03 August 2021 - 02:32 PM

I observed Jupiter and Saturn Tuesday morning at around 04:30 UT and got very sharp views at 129x, 208x and 258x with my 90mm f14 Maksutov. Both planets were quite bright at 258x to the point of almost needing to use a light yellow filter.

#52 CBM1970

CBM1970

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Southern Maine

Posted 03 August 2021 - 04:50 PM

I can hardly imagine what Saturn would look like in a scope like that under favorable conditions! Someday, when time and opportunity align, I will look at the sky through such an instrument.

I have only had sporadic successes with Saturn from my backyard this year. However, I've managed some really stunning views of Jupiter on quiet humid mornings over the past couple of months.

Last night's air was not great for planet viewing at my location. However, transparency was the best it's been in weeks and I enjoyed nice views of some fainter stuff while waiting for the planets to climb to a reasonable altitude. A very fine night overall.

#53 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators
  • Loc: PA, USA, Planet Earth

Posted 04 August 2021 - 12:42 AM

Io's shadow has almost completed its transit of Jupiter.  I viewed the shadow transit using the 6" f/8 Orion SkyQuest XT6 Dob that I keep in my garage for quick-look observing and an 8mm Tele Vue Delos eyepiece (150x).

Wednesday, August 4, 2021

03:32 UT, Io's shadow begins to cross Jupiter.
03:58 UT, Io begins transit of Jupiter.
05:50 UT, Io's shadow leaves Jupiter's disk.
06:16 UT, Io ends transit of Jupiter.
20:40 UT, Ganymede enters eclipse by Jupiter's shadow.
23:24 UT, Europa's shadow begins to cross Jupiter.

https://skyandtelesc...cript-utility/#

• CBM1970 likes this

#54 Astro Junkie

Astro Junkie

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 05 August 2021 - 01:10 PM

Hello all, had a few good Jupiter observations last week with my 8'' sct. what the heck are these Barges?  if i seen them would i know it?  

Barges are there now, had several clouds,  but Jupiter stayed open an low and behold the current shadow transit just above the twin Barges moments ago.

7mm worked great so shocked tho had clouds didnt try 6mm view, sure it would also Work!

Now, check it Out!

XT10

6mm ortho- Wow!

Barges aren't huge but note definite line to their shape, awsome to see these stand out so Well!

#55 barbie

barbie

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Northeast Ohio

Posted 05 August 2021 - 09:23 PM

I observed a lightly colored barge in Jupiter's SEB Thursday morning at around 12:00 a.m. local time. I had to use high magnification in my 90mm F14 Maksutov to verify its presence however. This was the first time in a number of years that I've seen a lighter colored barge. Every other barge I've observed over the last several years has been darker. No filters were used.

#56 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators
  • Loc: PA, USA, Planet Earth

Posted 06 August 2021 - 01:44 PM

I observed Jupiter and Saturn with the Naylor Observatory's 17" f/15 classical Cassegrain on Wednesday night.  Other than some wispy clouds the conditions were fairly good. 

I observed Saturn at 170, 216, 259x, and then 324x.  The image quality wasn't bad at 324x so I upped the magnification to 462x using a 14mm Explore Scientific 82-degree eyepiece.  The view was a bit soft at that point.

Here's a mediocre hand-held afocal iPhone photo that I took of the Ringed Planet that night.

Attached Thumbnails

• Saturn 3 8-4-21 iPhone 17-inch IMG_7476 Processed.jpg

• CBM1970 likes this

#57 greenjuice

greenjuice

Apollo

• Loc: NW CT.

Posted 06 August 2021 - 11:01 PM

Got some really great views of Jupiter and Saturn tonight with my TV85.

A few winning combinations of lenses were a 15 plossl through a 4x power mate and my Apollo 11 with a 1.5 Brandon magic Dakin Barlow.

Lots of clear banding and two of the moons were very close together making it easy to snap to focus.

It was really fun considering the really crap summer we’ve had here in CT, cloud-wise.

Edited by greenjuice, 06 August 2021 - 11:02 PM.

• CBM1970 likes this

#58 HellsKitchen

HellsKitchen

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Renmark, Australia

Posted 09 August 2021 - 01:47 AM

I have something to look forward to:

On the night of 15-16th this month there is going to be an interesting series of Jovian satellite events - Callisto transit+shadow transit, followed by a double transit and double shadow transit of Ganymede and Europa - and during this Ganymede will occult Europa infront of Jupiter's disk while the two shadow dots will converge, and if CdC's graphic is correct, Ganymede will also partially occult Europa's shadow.

Ofcourse this is for my place. Forecast looking good so far! fingerscrossed.gif

• payner and rkelley8493 like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics