•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

The Highest Proper Motion Stars Challenge

Astrometry Binoculars Charts DSO Observing
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 SNH

SNH

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: North central Arkansas

Posted 17 July 2021 - 03:00 PM

I recently went down another rabbit hole that I had been intending to go down for some time. This one was about trying to create a list of the 40 stars in our Galaxy that exhibit the largest yearly proper motion. It wasn’t easy since I had to blend three different sources. The first one I used was a list of the 150 largest proper motion stars in the Hipparcos Catalogue. Then I added the fainter stars from the LHS Catalogue, 2nd Edition (Luyten 1979). Lastly, I added even more recent finds from the 2012 edition of the RECONS Project's "List of the Nearest 100 Stellar Systems". Maybe someday I’ll get around to creating a PDF finderchart for each one (or you can!), but for now I’m just happy to have gotten accomplished what I did.

So, I hope you all enjoy it and can make use of it. Due to their special nature, I have always been fascinated by the highest of the high proper motion stars in the sky. That’s why I wasn’t surprised to find that after assembling the list, I had already seen half of them already! But now I can make a point to try and see the rest on the list.

The 40 Highest Proper Motion Stars spreadsheet

Scott

• John Miele, payner, VanJan and 11 others like this

#2 John Miele

John Miele

Aurora

• Loc: North Alabama

Posted 17 July 2021 - 03:23 PM

Great list!

I will use it for a new project.

Thanks very much for sharing!

cs...John

#3 Astrojensen

Astrojensen

Voyager 1

• Loc: Bornholm, Denmark

Posted 18 July 2021 - 10:18 AM

Nice list! 

But there's an error in the spreadsheet: Stars south of the Equator are missing the -  sign in front of their declination. 

Clear skies!

Thomas, Denmark

#4 SNH

SNH

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: North central Arkansas

Posted 18 July 2021 - 11:05 AM

Nice list! 

But there's an error in the spreadsheet: Stars south of the Equator are missing the -  sign in front of their declination. 

Clear skies!

Thomas, Denmark

Thanks for pointing that out, Thomas. The "minus" symbols displayed just fine in Excel, but I didn't notice that Google Docs didn't recognize the type I used. So I found a type it did like and have updated the spreadsheet. Please do let me know if you find any other mistakes!

Scott

• Astrojensen likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Astrometry, Binoculars, Charts, DSO, Observing

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics