•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

DIY "SkyCursor" for OneSky

DIY Accessories Equipment Charts
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 nocturnal_nerd

nocturnal_nerd

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Milford, MI

Posted 17 July 2021 - 03:26 PM

Hey Guys :)

I got an AWB OneSky late summer of last year and have been doing what I can in my backyard (really, just "augmented stargazing"). I've been using Stellarium+ since I picked up binoculars early last year (PC app for planning, phone app for executing). I love how easy it makes showing people what they're looking at, getting info on what we're looking at, and in general the utility of the app.

The core functionality of it is the ability to navigate the sky with a point-and-shoot method.

I've also been messing around with ESP32 microcontrollers for their fantastic connectivity and in-general badassness. For the uninitiated, the ESP32 is essentially an Adruino with internet, enabling 2-way communication via wifi or bluetooth between electronic gizmos.

I have a rough idea of a system that senses the rotation of the two points on the dobsonian mount and translates it into coordinates to be eaten up by a computer or phone and passed into Stellarium+, providing a cursor on a map of the sky representative of where the telescope is pointed at.

This is where I am looking for help - has anyone done this before? I know it's a similar/identical functionality as can be found on even slightly higher end rigs, but I think it would be cool to have a DIY solution for this insanely popular entry level scope. I'm obviously in the very early research stage on this project, so any resources you might have could help me :)

Thanks for reading!

#2 Adun

Adun

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 17 July 2021 - 04:01 PM

Hi. I think you are looking for this.

The thread where we discuss the project is here on CN. 

Edited by Adun, 17 July 2021 - 04:12 PM.

• Nazmul Sajib likes this

#3 OskiBear

OskiBear

Explorer 1

• Loc: SF Bay Area

Posted 18 July 2021 - 06:25 PM

Hey Guys smile.gif

I got an AWB OneSky late summer of last year and have been doing what I can in my backyard (really, just "augmented stargazing"). I've been using Stellarium+ since I picked up binoculars early last year (PC app for planning, phone app for executing). I love how easy it makes showing people what they're looking at, getting info on what we're looking at, and in general the utility of the app.

The core functionality of it is the ability to navigate the sky with a point-and-shoot method.

I've also been messing around with ESP32 microcontrollers for their fantastic connectivity and in-general badassness. For the uninitiated, the ESP32 is essentially an Adruino with internet, enabling 2-way communication via wifi or bluetooth between electronic gizmos.

I have a rough idea of a system that senses the rotation of the two points on the dobsonian mount and translates it into coordinates to be eaten up by a computer or phone and passed into Stellarium+, providing a cursor on a map of the sky representative of where the telescope is pointed at.

This is where I am looking for help - has anyone done this before? I know it's a similar/identical functionality as can be found on even slightly higher end rigs, but I think it would be cool to have a DIY solution for this insanely popular entry level scope. I'm obviously in the very early research stage on this project, so any resources you might have could help me smile.gif

Thanks for reading!

can't second Adun's recommendation enough. I just did this w/ an AWB OneSky, two encoders, and if works very very very well. (I really really should post some pictures). The mount and base of the OneSky are perfect fits for this - and lots of help available in the forum msg Adun linked too. Heck, you don't even have to solder anything .....

Edited by OskiBear, 18 July 2021 - 06:25 PM.

• Adun likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: DIY, Accessories, Equipment, Charts

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics