•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Marty Feldman eyes?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 StarBurger

StarBurger

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: North Country NY

Posted 17 July 2021 - 06:40 PM

With apologies to the late, great comedian....

I have never been a keen bino observer. Not that I haven't tried but here's how it is:

No matter what binos I have tried I always find difficulty in bringing both images together on the sky. In daylight, no problem at all although I have an old 8X40 Olympus pair that I had to perform some prism adjustment to to correct mis-collimation even in daylight.

My Bushnell 8X40 looked good from the get-go.

I have a Celestron Cometron 12X70 also good in daylight.

But at night on the sky, all three are unable to show an easy "single" image for me. I thought that, well, I just have an unlucky collection. All three just not good enough.

Then a friend let me use his brand new Nikon Acculon 10X50's.

At first blush these were much better than any of mine. Instant single image, perfect focus both eyes, nice color, no distortions.

I put up these, the Olympus and the Bushnells side by side and saw no difference! WTH? All were wonderful!

BUT...as I spent a few minutes comparing the three of them the old image separation effect appeared in all. Then I had to fight the seemingly spontaneous focus drift in both and different in each eye as well as constantly changing the IP distance for comfort.

By the end of this none of the views were any good.

There must be something wrong with my eye/brain connection to produce this. I returned to well lit room and tried again outside. Same result-good to start with but rapidly worsening as I guess my pupils open up.

It really does feel like my eyes are wandering uncontrollably. Sorry Igor.

Does anyone else suffer from this effect?

My eyesight otherwise is fine in monocular vision.

• nowhere likes this

#2 ECP M42

ECP M42

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: central Europe 45°N

Posted 17 July 2021 - 07:28 PM

Great Martin !!!  bow.gif  ... made me flip out of my chair, all the time.  applause.gif

87ee12c42785dcab0ae793a9def6b6d5.jpg

https://biografieonl...y_Feldman_2.jpg

lol.gif lol.gif  

I had a friend with the same trait and he told me that when he looked into his two binoculars, his eyes tended to straighten. I also dated a woman and a couple of times I saw her with straight eyes, but as soon as I said it ...  bigblush.gif   

I'm not a doctor, but I think your biggest problem is finding good, perfectly collimated binoculars and then you can talk about them again. But it is only an intuition.

#3 SMark

SMark

Aurora

• Loc: Clay County, AL USA

Posted 17 July 2021 - 10:10 PM

My eyes are more vertically challenged than most. Occasionally, at the end of a very tiring day, I won't be able focus on much of anything without it breaking into two images. As far as I can tell I have been that way all my life, and it's a fact that I have had chronic headaches since I was a kid. But most of the time it isn't problematic and well collimated binoculars don't cause me problems. 

#4 ihf

ihf

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: California, USA

Posted 18 July 2021 - 01:36 AM

StarBurger, do you use glasses? It sounds like you have some prism in your prescription. If you don't use glasses, can you visit an optometrist? If you do use glasses, do you use them with your binos? My dad experiences this effect with binos. He refuses to visit an optometrist and only wears glasses for reading. He has been most happy so far with Nikon Action Extreme 7x50. In other words even in the daylight maximum size exit pupil and low magnification.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics