•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Checking binocular alignment with only one eye.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 brentwood

brentwood

Skylab

• topic starter
  • Loc: SW BC Canada

Posted 17 July 2021 - 07:37 PM

Until I go under the knife  in October , I basically only have one eye, and that one isn't that good. Of course, now I come across a really nice Bushnell Custom NINE x35. for $50. That's a bit more than I normally pay in a junk store, but they are really nice. Trouble is , how do I check them out with only one eyeball!  I was debating training the missus, but I don't think that would go over very well. She even folded her arms when I mentioned it  

#2 TheUser

TheUser

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 17 July 2021 - 07:42 PM

use spotting scope instead

#3 pat in los angeles basin

pat in los angeles basin

Apollo

Posted 17 July 2021 - 07:54 PM

I think it might be possible to mount on a tripod, aim at the cross of the telephone or power pole at a distance and go from EP to EP  with a slight distance away from the eye to EP and possibly gauge rough alignment. I see to recall you can make a booster by piggybacking one opera glass to the bino eyepiece and get a magnified view in addition to be narrower FOV. Let us know if you succeed, besides taking another person with  to gauge how they see through the same binos- someone who's keen vision you trust!   Pat (waiting for his burrito to cool)

#4 Rich V.

Rich V.

Cosmos

• Loc: Lake Tahoe area, Nevada

Posted 17 July 2021 - 07:56 PM

I'm betting you can find a friend who understands what to look for or is at least "trainable" and willing to help.  My wife would respond just like your did. 

I wish you speedy recovery from your eye surgery.  My wife is in the process currently.

Rich

• Jon Isaacs and brentwood like this

#5 Richard O'Neill

Richard O'Neill

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 17 July 2021 - 08:03 PM

Place the binocular on a stable shelf, pointed at a flat surface (like a brick wall or building) some distance away, the further the better. Focus each eyepiece and note if the images are identical as far as what you can see at the extreme left and right edges of the field of view. Do the same for top and bottom images.

If one image is shifted slightly from the other from left to right and/ or top to bottom the binoculars may require adjusting. Note, if you conduct this comparison on close objects the field of one with respect to the other should show a left to right shift equal to the binocular's objective lens separation.

If the images are not perfect left to right they may still be acceptable since the eye can easily adjust to compensate. Up and downs errors are more problematic for most.

Good luck with your surgery.

Richard

#6 brentwood

brentwood

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 17 July 2021 - 08:31 PM

Thanks for the comments. I had actually never thought of using my one good eye, but then I can't really take and set up a tripod  in a thrift store. Sadly I have no binocular friends! 

#7 Richard O'Neill

Richard O'Neill

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 17 July 2021 - 09:00 PM

"then I can't really take and set up a tripod  in a thrift store."

Why not, have you asked? I would. Worse they can say is no. Also, if they have a big window perhaps you can rest it on something and do a quick test from indoors. At least you'd have some idea if it's worth considering?

Edited by Richard O'Neill, 17 July 2021 - 09:05 PM.

#8 dougspeterson

dougspeterson

Surveyor 1

• Loc: SANTA ANA, CA

Posted 18 July 2021 - 01:52 AM

I have the same 1 eyeball. I place the objectives against the inside of a window, hold in place, look at the world outside, move my one eye back and forth between oculars,

• brentwood and Foss like this

#9 brentwood

brentwood

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 18 July 2021 - 02:04 AM

I have the same 1 eyeball. I place the objectives against the inside of a window, hold in place, look at the world outside, move my one eye back and forth between oculars,

MMMM that might work, thanks! 

#10 brentwood

brentwood

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 21 July 2021 - 06:07 PM

I did some searches for a Custom 9x35 , couldn't find much, so assuming they might be rare, we were down at the VV Boutique and saw they were still there, so I bought them.  Now that I've got them home to test them either by the window or tripod method, I see that they are 9x36. A well, I've still bought less that I regretted  than ones I should have but didn't! 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics