•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Starry Night Pro T1i Equipment Specs

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 DMR

DMR

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Washougal, WA

Posted 17 July 2021 - 10:55 PM

Hello all!

I am trying to add my Canon T1i (EOS 500D) into my equipment list in Starry Night Pro 8, but I can't confirm the stats I should use.  The program asks for the "Imager Format" in a Width x Height pixel format, the pixel Size and in Width x Height in microns and finally the Sensor Offset in millimeters.  I would really only like to have this data to superimpose a Field of View indicator to plan widefield shots with camera and lens.  So I don't know how precise this info needs to me, but I struggle to know for sure what I should enter in these boxes.... I really wish the T1i was included as a camera from the list.... I guess it's too old now.  confused1.gif

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dave

#2 chanrobi

chanrobi

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 17 July 2021 - 11:48 PM

Hello all!

I am trying to add my Canon T1i (EOS 500D) into my equipment list in Starry Night Pro 8, but I can't confirm the stats I should use.  The program asks for the "Imager Format" in a Width x Height pixel format, the pixel Size and in Width x Height in microns and finally the Sensor Offset in millimeters.  I would really only like to have this data to superimpose a Field of View indicator to plan widefield shots with camera and lens.  So I don't know how precise this info needs to me, but I struggle to know for sure what I should enter in these boxes.... I really wish the T1i was included as a camera from the list.... I guess it's too old now.  confused1.gif

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dave

Don't need them to provide the info, this is readily available with a google search. Canon Rebel T1i comes with a 22.3 x 14.9 mm CMOS sensor, pixel size 4.69

You can also use the free program stellarium as well, that does FOV. I use this for planning.

telescopius.com does it as well

Sensor size, pixel size and scope determines FOV

Edited by chanrobi, 17 July 2021 - 11:49 PM.

#3 DMR

DMR

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Washougal, WA

Posted 18 July 2021 - 02:50 AM

Yes, I found the same (22.3 x 14.9 mm CMOS Sensor) but as I stated the program asks for the Imager Format in a pixel format, not a mm size format, unless I misunderstand what the "mm" means.  I had also found the same 4.69 with a Google search prior to posting the question, but again the program asks for the measures in a width and height arrangement.  Maybe I'm missing something easy here on how to convert these numbers?  And yes Stellarium has a FOV as well, but it also does not have the 500D.  

D

#4 chanrobi

chanrobi

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 18 July 2021 - 04:21 PM

Yes, I found the same (22.3 x 14.9 mm CMOS Sensor) but as I stated the program asks for the Imager Format in a pixel format, not a mm size format, unless I misunderstand what the "mm" means.  I had also found the same 4.69 with a Google search prior to posting the question, but again the program asks for the measures in a width and height arrangement.  Maybe I'm missing something easy here on how to convert these numbers?  And yes Stellarium has a FOV as well, but it also does not have the 500D.  

D

Your sensor 4,752 x 3,168

Seems kind of dumb, to ask for measurements this way

Stellarium doesn't need a 550d, entry. Using all the info already provided you can easily calculate FOV. In fact if you use ANY canon aps-c sensor camera from the list there it will get you 99% of the correct fov.

Canon makes a ton of APS-c sensor size cameras, the vast majority are this size. Stellarium already has a bunch of aps-c sensors built in

Edited by chanrobi, 18 July 2021 - 04:22 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics