•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Autostar II issues - I think

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 dcaponeii

dcaponeii

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Waxahachie, TX

Posted 18 July 2021 - 02:59 AM

Looks like the slew buttons on the hand controller are sticking.  If I push the opposite button it was stop the slew but iffy.  GOTO works just fine.  The buttons across the top are "sticking" too.  Not sure how else to described the problem I had this evening other than that.  I read lots of handbox woes on here so I guess I'm not surprised.  Question: I should check the cable to be sure I suppose.  It that HBX cable just a phone receiver cord?  Is there a source of new handbox controllers (Mine is Autostar II)?

#2 michael8554

michael8554

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Wiltshire UK

Posted 18 July 2021 - 08:47 AM

Your description is perfectly clear to any Autostar user !

You've read about the woes, have you tried cleaning the contacts ?

New Autostars are hard to come by due to the Orion takeover of Meade.

• dcaponeii likes this

#3 dcaponeii

dcaponeii

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Waxahachie, TX

Posted 18 July 2021 - 09:49 AM

Your description is perfectly clear to any Autostar user !

You've read about the woes, have you tried cleaning the contacts ?

New Autostars are hard to come by due to the Orion takeover of Meade.

Not yet.  I've read the instructions on Petersen's website but not sure I want to tackle pulling that ribbon wedge out to clean the contacts without a back up hand controller in possession.  I'll contact Meade tomorrow and let Sal tell me it will be 4 - 6 months for a replacement.  At least I'll get one on order.  I hesitate to buy one used since I wouldn't know how close to failure they might be.  I think all the rain we had last Spring here bumped the humidity in the observatory to much higher levels than last season (or it's at the end of it's second year which seems to be about when the contact crud builds up enough to cause the driving troubles.  Maybe when I get a new one I'll store it in a tub of rice or desiccant packs to keep it dry between uses??

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics