•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Astrosurface redshift …….success!

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 GSBass

GSBass

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter
  • Loc: South Carolina

Posted 18 July 2021 - 09:06 AM

Pretty excellent news this morning regarding the new redshift version of Astrosurface, this version allows for alignment with field rotation for Az mounts, you may have read that I had a failed test a couple of days ago which involved taking 150 15sec exposures of the ring nebula through the mak. I couldn’t get the program to recognize the stars because of the very low contrast in the subs. I told the developer and he recommended a procedure to where I imported the 150 subs then chose export to ser…. There is a dialog box there that lets you apply adu and gain levels using the viewer controls, so I did that, saved and then reimported the saved ser and went through the analyze function again…… this time it recognized and did a perfect job aligning and stacking the frames.. it’s a pretty huge deal for people who have some scopes that don’t play nice with sharpcap and use Az mounts……mostly applies to long FL scopes like the F15 maks…… I can’t really vouch for the benefits until I image  some more stuff ….I Expect tracking errors will be amplified resulting in non round stars but they may be able to be tamed and the biggest advantage should be photographing nebula detail, filaments etc that does not show as well when imaging through smaller scopes.

kudos to Astrosurface for this new tool , awesome

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics