•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Smoky Skies!

• Please log in to reply
181 replies to this topic

#1 Cotts

Cotts

Just Wondering

• topic starter
  • Loc: Madoc, Ontario

Posted 18 July 2021 - 10:10 AM

This morning, cloudless and calm, my skies are not at all blue.  More a pale yellow-white haze....  I checked my CSC and there was the smoke warning at the bottom...  Clicked on the map and ....

Screen Shot 2021-07-18 at 10.47.10 AM.jpg

Spectacular sunrises and sunsets should be seen over a large portion of North America, followed by nights of poor transparency.....

Dave

• George N, Illinois, weis14 and 2 others like this

#2 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama & Gold Star Award Winner

• Moderators
  • Loc: montana

Posted 18 July 2021 - 10:13 AM

Dave, you're certainly not alone, having smoky skies.  It's very bad here; when the sun came up it was a vivid red; now I can't even see the sun.  The smell of smoke is very strong also.

• Orion68, flt158, kksmith and 1 other like this

#3 StarBurger

StarBurger

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: North Country NY

Posted 18 July 2021 - 10:58 AM

My positive outlook on this is that I can't see the smoke for the clouds. No problem....

#4 Ron359

Ron359

Surveyor 1

Posted 18 July 2021 - 11:01 AM

Welcoming the Canadian east to the western US & Canada where this has been 'the norm' for ~10 years now.  

#5 oldmanrick

oldmanrick

Viking 1

• Loc: Western Montana, USA

Posted 18 July 2021 - 11:04 AM

Dave, you're certainly not alone, having smoky skies.  It's very bad here; when the sun came up it was a vivid red; now I can't even see the sun.  The smell of smoke is very strong also.

+1

My positive outlook on this is that I can't see the smoke for the clouds. No problem....

It's vice versa here, I can't see the clouds for the smoke, (nor the stars).  A few nights back it was clearing out enough for some limited astronomy.  Hope this continues once in a while.

#6 Forward Scatter

Forward Scatter

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Wandering the PNW

Posted 18 July 2021 - 11:13 AM

One of the big sources of smoke, the Bootleg Fire in southern Oregon, is one of the biggest contributors to the big swath of smoke blanketing everyone to the east. Just read that they do not expect containment until November to add to the unprecedented fire weather they have forecast.

And we are barely 1 month into Summer. The Oregon Star Party was cancelled this week to to extreme fire risk.

Yikes.

• Jon Isaacs, csa/montana, George N and 3 others like this

#7 Cotts

Cotts

Just Wondering

• topic starter
  • Loc: Madoc, Ontario

Posted 18 July 2021 - 11:51 AM

Anyone see the zillion red dots in NW Ontario and E Manitoba on the map I posted?  This happens every year here.  But this outbreak is somewhat larger than normal....

Dave

#8 jjbroomco

jjbroomco

Vostok 1

Posted 18 July 2021 - 12:44 PM

I was considering going to my first star party ever (Nebraska) in two weeks. But the smoke forecasts in Astrospheric, as well as the current smoke map on airnow.gov, don’t look good. It’s not going away anytime soon, unfortunately. Maybe next year.

Most importantly though are the health and safety of the folks who live near the wildfire regions.
  • Jon Isaacs likes this

#9 LDW47

LDW47

Cosmos

• Loc: North Bay,Ontario,Canada

Posted 18 July 2021 - 02:01 PM

This morning, cloudless and calm, my skies are not at all blue.  More a pale yellow-white haze....  I checked my CSC and there was the smoke warning at the bottom...  Clicked on the map and ....

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2021-07-18 at 10.47.10 AM.jpg

Spectacular sunrises and sunsets should be seen over a large portion of North America, followed by nights of poor transparency.....

Dave

Same up here in northern ontario the land of the many Bortle 1 skize, the grey haze day and nite

#10 vsteblina

vsteblina

Vanguard

• Loc: Wenatchee, Washington

Posted 18 July 2021 - 02:10 PM

One of the big sources of smoke, the Bootleg Fire in southern Oregon, is one of the biggest contributors to the big swath of smoke blanketing everyone to the east. Just read that they do not expect containment until November to add to the unprecedented fire weather they have forecast.

And we are barely 1 month into Summer. The Oregon Star Party was cancelled this week to to extreme fire risk.

Yikes.

Containment is a specific fire term.  The more important part is that the Bootleg Fire will be putting out smoke until it SNOWS in eastern Oregon.  And it is only mid-July.

People should really look at the National Weather Service west coast satellite about 5:00 pm Pacific time to get an appreciation how much smoke is being produced by the Bootleg Fire.  It is impressive.  Never seen anything like it for a extended period of time.  This video is fairly old.  It was even more impressive yesterday.

https://www.oregonli...-satellite.html

The good news is that the fire is burning in relatively flat ground and into the desert of eastern Oregon.  When the winds quit and the fire reaches the desert the amount of smoke being produced will go down significantly.

Here is some more bad news from the National Weather Service out of Spokane for next week.  Usually that weather come up north through Oregon.  I suspect Monday in Oregon might be interesting as well.

A potentially dangerous fire weather situation that poses a risk
to life and property will be possible in that Tuesday to Wednesday
night time frame with the combination of lightning, winds and low
relative humidity. There is the potential for gusty and erratic
winds with thunderstorms and wind shifts with thunderstorm
outflows and the cold front passage Wednesday evening. Have an
evacuation plan in place and be at the ready as fires may develop
and spread quickly, and be aware with lightning that there is a
high probability for new ignitions.

Looks like I will be watering the old-growth sage on my neighbors property this week.  Oh, well at least I have "black line" on the other side of the property, thanks to the Red Apple Fire.

Edited by vsteblina, 18 July 2021 - 02:42 PM.

• Jon Isaacs, csa/montana and Forward Scatter like this

#11 LDW47

LDW47

Cosmos

Posted 18 July 2021 - 03:25 PM

And there will still be uncaring so called knowledgeible campers out there building blazing fires roasting marshmallows and wieners with no back up water buckets on standby to extinguish fires that should never have been lit

• csa/montana and Heywood like this

#12 LDW47

LDW47

Cosmos

Posted 18 July 2021 - 03:26 PM

Containment is a specific fire term.  The more important part is that the Bootleg Fire will be putting out smoke until it SNOWS in eastern Oregon.  And it is only mid-July.

People should really look at the National Weather Service west coast satellite about 5:00 pm Pacific time to get an appreciation how much smoke is being produced by the Bootleg Fire.  It is impressive.  Never seen anything like it for a extended period of time.  This video is fairly old.  It was even more impressive yesterday.

https://www.oregonli...-satellite.html

The good news is that the fire is burning in relatively flat ground and into the desert of eastern Oregon.  When the winds quit and the fire reaches the desert the amount of smoke being produced will go down significantly.

Here is some more bad news from the National Weather Service out of Spokane for next week.  Usually that weather come up north through Oregon.  I suspect Monday in Oregon might be interesting as well.

A potentially dangerous fire weather situation that poses a risk
to life and property will be possible in that Tuesday to Wednesday
night time frame with the combination of lightning, winds and low
relative humidity. There is the potential for gusty and erratic
winds with thunderstorms and wind shifts with thunderstorm
outflows and the cold front passage Wednesday evening. Have an
evacuation plan in place and be at the ready as fires may develop
and spread quickly, and be aware with lightning that there is a
high probability for new ignitions.

Looks like I will be watering the old-growth sage on my neighbors property this week.  Oh, well at least I have "black line" on the other side of the property, thanks to the Red Apple Fire.

Good Luck with it all from another tinder dry part of North America.

#13 jpengstrom

jpengstrom

Mariner 2

• Loc: North Texas

Posted 18 July 2021 - 03:57 PM

I don't know whether to feel good or bad that it's not smoke causing viewing problems here in North Texas but Saharan dust.  Being new to the hobby I am amazed at how few good nights there really are.

• hornjs and Myopiceagle like this

#14 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators
  • Loc: PA, USA, Planet Earth

Posted 18 July 2021 - 04:10 PM

I don't know whether to feel good or bad that it's not smoke causing viewing problems here in North Texas but Saharan dust.  Being new to the hobby I am amazed at how few good nights there really are.

I doubt that many novice amateur astronomers are aware that good nights are for the most part a rare commodity.

• bunyon, rocketsteve, jcj380 and 3 others like this

#15 jpengstrom

jpengstrom

Mariner 2

• Loc: North Texas

Posted 18 July 2021 - 04:38 PM

I doubt that many novice amateur astronomers are aware that good nights are for the most part a rare commodity.

That's the truth! I know it came as a surprise to me how few good nights there really are.

#16 mountain monk

mountain monk

Gemini

• Loc: Grand Teton National Park

Posted 18 July 2021 - 04:44 PM

Yep, it's bad. Sometimes just bad, sometimes very, very bad. I agree with vsteblina--we're gonna have smoke until autumn. I saw this during the 1988 fires in Yellowstone. The only thing that stopped them was snow. Alas. And my rivers are getting too warm to (ethically) fish. If this keeps up we will have dead trout floating in our rivers. Alas. What a year.

Dark skies.

Jack

• csa/montana likes this

#17 LDW47

LDW47

Cosmos

Posted 18 July 2021 - 04:59 PM

Yep, it's bad. Sometimes just bad, sometimes very, very bad. I agree with vsteblina--we're gonna have smoke until autumn. I saw this during the 1988 fires in Yellowstone. The only thing that stopped them was snow. Alas. And my rivers are getting too warm to (ethically) fish. If this keeps up we will have dead trout floating in our rivers. Alas. What a year.

Dark skies.

Jack

I fish some pretty isolated country but with all this warming year after year the back country is not the same, its not for the best in any way

• thecelloronin likes this

#18 John Fitzgerald

John Fitzgerald

In Focus

• Loc: near Elkins and Pettigrew, Arkansas

Posted 18 July 2021 - 05:50 PM

When they realize the truth of it, a lot of lightly used gear will be on the market.  I can wait for the good nights.

• Dave Mitsky, jcj380 and hornjs like this

#19 vsteblina

vsteblina

Vanguard

• Loc: Wenatchee, Washington

Posted 18 July 2021 - 07:00 PM

Dark skies.

Jack

We had a bad fire year in 87 on the Wenatchee NF.  When 88 happened, it just seemed like we entered a new reality in wildland fire.  After that it became the new normal.

And smoke became a observing concern!!!

Sorry to hear about the warm stream temperatures.  I was hoping to run over to the Targee for some fishing this summer.  Maybe in September.

• Forward Scatter likes this

#20 Bill Weir

Bill Weir

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Metchosin (Victoria), Canada

Posted 19 July 2021 - 01:35 AM

And there will still be uncaring so called knowledgeible campers out there building blazing fires roasting marshmallows and wieners with no back up water buckets on standby to extinguish fires that should never have been lit

Ontario is still allowing campfires?

Bill

#21 LDW47

LDW47

Cosmos

Posted 19 July 2021 - 02:53 AM

Ontario is still allowing campfires?

Bill

If you are a true outdoors person, if you care for the outdoors a fire ban shouldn't have to be legislated, it should come from ones common sense  I have spent at least 63 yrs of my 73 yrs in the bush when I wasn't at school, my job and since retirement and I would never think of an open fire under the conditions that I see  Only the idiots have to be told  Not saying that all fires are man made, look at the railways record when it comes to fires and then of course the lightning .........   PS.  Sorry I am sidetracking from astronomy but this situation, country wide, does affect our views every nite

• Bob W4 likes this

#22 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

World Controller

• Moderators
  • Loc: Georgia

Posted 19 July 2021 - 06:50 AM

Haven't noticed the smoke drifting down here yet, but we have been clouded out a lot this last month.

#23 LDW47

LDW47

Cosmos

Posted 19 July 2021 - 07:25 AM

And they are still flicking smoke butts out the side window as they travel merrily along ......

#24 gene 4181

gene 4181

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: n.e. ohio

Posted 19 July 2021 - 09:24 AM

Record month (7+)  for rain here in Ohio... finally get a couple of clear nights and   the smoke rolls in , (lol).   smile.gif   A while back when we rode the CN out of Washego   , we'd have to bucket brigade local fires along the tracks.  Train would dump us  south of Elsas in the bush ,smile.gif  , carry the stuff down too the Nemegos 

#25 mich_al

mich_al

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Rural central lower Michigan Yellow Skies

Posted 19 July 2021 - 12:31 PM

Very orange Moon here last night, can't smell the smoke but it's sure up there.

• George N likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics