•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Smoky Skies!

• Please log in to reply
181 replies to this topic

#76 vsteblina

vsteblina

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Wenatchee, Washington

Posted 23 July 2021 - 01:10 PM

Screen%2BShot%2B2021-07-23%2Bat%2B10.28.

#77 erick86

erick86

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Canada

Posted 23 July 2021 - 06:30 PM

Strange times when the Pacific NW has the best observing conditions in all of North America!

Eric

#78 Ron359

Ron359

Surveyor 1

Posted 23 July 2021 - 07:13 PM

I know, the loss of life and property is tragic.

You guys in the Springs & Black Forest area have had your share of forest-urban wildfires and subsequent flash flooding with enormous loss of life and property around 2012.   xing-fingers things improve and clear up for a good RMSS!   

Edited by Ron359, 23 July 2021 - 07:14 PM.

#79 thecelloronin

thecelloronin

Messenger

• Loc: Lowcountry

Posted 24 July 2021 - 07:12 AM

Southeast chiming in: noticed a haze all day, though 90%+ humidity is normal this time of year. My doubts about the smoke having reached us yet were put to bed when the red moon rose…

#80 payner

payner

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Bluegrass & SW Appalachian Regions, Kentucky

Posted 24 July 2021 - 10:35 AM

The last several mornings we've had a red sun rise with an evening orange moon rise. I have not observed any this week despite mainly clear skies (of course the typical humidity) because of the smoke that's evident from those signs and maps tracking the smoke flow. Below is from NOAA for today.

Attached Thumbnails

• currenthms.jpg

Edited by payner, 24 July 2021 - 10:36 AM.

#81 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

World Controller

• Moderators
  • Loc: Georgia

Posted 24 July 2021 - 11:52 AM

Last night I went out for a session and the first thing I noticed  was how noticeably red the moon. I could not believe how bad the transparency was. 

#82 Cotts

Cotts

Just Wondering

• topic starter
  • Loc: Madoc, Ontario

Posted 25 July 2021 - 12:56 PM

Hazy, smoky skies have returned to much of Eastern North America.... The fires in NW Ontario are really serious!!

http://firesmoke.ca/...evY6DixuMcowHgs

Dave

#83 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators
  • Loc: PA, USA, Planet Earth

Posted 25 July 2021 - 01:46 PM

Here's today NOAA smoke map.

https://www.ospo.noa...nole7WBR-ckGJ5o

#84 Rich56

Rich56

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 25 July 2021 - 06:15 PM

Wasn't there a large star party in NE California called (I believe) The Golden State Star Party?

Has that been cancelled too?

I remember attending the OSP the year of the eclipse and it was getting kinda scary but as eclipse time approached you could smell smoke.

I was wondering if they might call it off for safety reasons.

#85 Bill Weir

Bill Weir

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Metchosin (Victoria), Canada

Posted 26 July 2021 - 12:16 AM

Both GSSP and OSP have been cancelled. Golden State due to COVID and Oregon due to extreme fire risk.

http://goldenstatestarparty.org

https://oregonstarparty.org

Today I got the email cancelling the party I was due to go to in a few weeks as there are fires all around where it is held. Several years back they had to clear off the mountain as a fire was actively moving its way up the mountain to meet them. Sad as I was looking forward to catching up with many I haven’t seen in a few years. 

http://www.mksp.ca

Bill

#86 JMW

JMW

Aurora

• -----
  • Loc: Nevada

Posted 26 July 2021 - 09:13 AM

This is my 3rd morning in a row waking up to airnow.gov air quality of 250+. I haven't seen the sun cast a shadow for 3 days. Can't see the mountains or local buildings more than a mile away. Not even healthy to take the dog for a walk.

We plan to be fully retired in about 3.5 years. The recent fire situation is having us rethink living downwind from all the fires. I love the Sierra Nevada for the great hiking/backpacking but there is a lot of dried out brush and timber and it burns year after year.

We have a major fire south of us around Markleeville burning into Nevada. We have the Beckworth complex that burnt 100,000+ acres just north of us near Frenchman Lake area since beginning of July and now the Dixie fire a raging around the Lake Almanor area sending huge amounts of smoke to northwestern Nevada, Northern California, Oregon, Idaho. It is sad for all those who not only suffer in the smoke but also have their homes endangered. 

Edited by JMW, 26 July 2021 - 09:27 AM.

#87 mrflibbles

mrflibbles

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 27 July 2021 - 06:51 PM

I was looking forward to Saturns opposition. I'll be lucky if I even see it through the smoke. Some nights I can't even see Jupiter. I just wiped a layer of ash off my back deck table, had to change cloths 3 times.

The irony is the sunny and cloudless days/nights we all yearn for, is what is making the fires worse. Right now we need more clouds and rain to get better seeing conditions lol.gif

• payner likes this

#88 VNA

VNA

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: S.F. Bay Area, Californie

Posted 27 July 2021 - 07:09 PM

This morning, cloudless and calm, my skies are not at all blue.  More a pale yellow-white haze....  I checked my CSC and there was the smoke warning at the bottom...  Clicked on the map and ....

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2021-07-18 at 10.47.10 AM.jpg

Spectacular sunrises and sunsets should be seen over a large portion of North America, followed by nights of poor transparency.....

Dave

Hello Dave--So sorry, the last few summers have gotten worse.  But I am on the West side of the fires. The previous summers we would get what you are experiencing as the winds were more from the North West, but so far it is from the South West pushing the smokes toward your area.

It gives an ominous feeling, what I call "earthquake" weather, my dear wife would tell me to keep quiet.

What I don't like is these fires start earlier and earlier?

We had "rain" this morning which is very rare in July, unfortunately I could count the drops on the pavement!  :- (

We Californians should have been busier raking the forest floors!  ;- )

Edited by VNA, 27 July 2021 - 07:23 PM.

#89 Ron359

Ron359

Surveyor 1

Posted 27 July 2021 - 08:43 PM

Hello Dave--So sorry, the last few summers have gotten worse.  But I am on the West side of the fires. The previous summers we would get what you are experiencing as the winds were more from the North West, but so far it is from the South West pushing the smokes toward your area.

It gives an ominous feeling, what I call "earthquake" weather, my dear wife would tell me to keep quiet.

What I don't like is these fires start earlier and earlier?

We had "rain" this morning which is very rare in July, unfortunately I could count the drops on the pavement!  :- (

We Californians should have been busier raking the forest floors!  ;- )

If you folks on the left coast not only raked your forests,  but took 5 gal. buckets to the ocean for water, you could help fight the fires and help lower the rising sea level too!  

;  )    

Edited by Ron359, 27 July 2021 - 08:49 PM.

• Oscar56 likes this

#90 JMW

JMW

Aurora

• -----
  • Loc: Nevada

Posted 27 July 2021 - 10:27 PM

It was borderline lousy air about about 150 this morning. A strong wind came in today and the skies were great by afternoon. Had a great evening of golf with clear air and modest temperatures.

#91 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators

Posted 27 July 2021 - 11:14 PM

The wildfire smoke is back in a big way in my area.

https://www.ospo.noa...A564m-KuGUy6-aI

#92 Oscar56

Oscar56

Apollo

• Loc: Okanagan Valley, BC.

Posted 28 July 2021 - 03:00 PM

The Mount Kobau Star Party, near Osoyoos BC, has now been canceled due to the proximity of wildfires for the past 4 weeks. And of course the smoke…

In 2020 MKSP was cancelled due to COVID. 

In 2018? The attendees had to be evacuated as a wildfire came within a few hundred metres of the party. 

and I just received a pair of nebula filters from Don at eyepiecesetc.com to test out at the 2021 MKSP. I might not be able to test them tip the fall. 

#93 Bill Weir

Bill Weir

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Metchosin (Victoria), Canada

Posted 28 July 2021 - 04:06 PM

The Mount Kobau Star Party, near Osoyoos BC, has now been canceled due to the proximity of wildfires for the past 4 weeks. And of course the smoke…

In 2020 MKSP was cancelled due to COVID. 

In 2018? The attendees had to be evacuated as a wildfire came within a few hundred metres of the party. 

and I just received a pair of nebula filters from Don at eyepiecesetc.com to test out at the 2021 MKSP. I might not be able to test them tip the fall. 

Fingers crossed for Merritt.

Bill

#94 Oscar56

Oscar56

Apollo

• Loc: Okanagan Valley, BC.

Posted 28 July 2021 - 04:15 PM

Fingers crossed for Merritt.

Bill

If the Merritt party were scheduled for July or early August then it might not happen either.  But September is a long time from now with respect to wildfires.  I have added it to my calendar.  fingerscrossed.gif

#95 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators

Posted 28 July 2021 - 06:35 PM

There's more smoke in the forecast.

https://www.ospo.noa.../currenthms.jpg

#96 BlueMoon

BlueMoon

Surveyor 1

• Loc: South Central Idaho, USA

Posted 28 July 2021 - 06:52 PM

Haven't had The Meg out for a few weeks. Where I live in south central Idaho, the prevailing westerly winds simply blow smoke right over the top of us from the Oregon and Northern California fires. Makes for some awesome naked eye "red rubber ball" sunrises and sunsets tho' and I am getting my house remodel/redecorate done ...

Clear(er) skies (eventually).

• ShaulaB likes this

#97 telesonic

telesonic

Viking 1

• Loc: SW Idaho

Posted 28 July 2021 - 07:15 PM

Haven't had The Meg out for a few weeks. Where I live in south central Idaho, the prevailing westerly winds simply blow smoke right over the top of us from the Oregon and Northern California fires. Makes for some awesome naked eye "red rubber ball" sunrises and sunsets tho' and I am getting my house remodel/redecorate done ...

Clear(er) skies (eventually).

Yep, "red rubber ball" is about the best desciption I've heard of it. You aren't too far away from my location, my friend..... and it's been terrible for 3 weeks here, at least. It actually started clearing up a bit this afternoon, and the last forecast I read today called for some of the smoke to clear out - by this weekend I think. Then clouds, of course.

Like you said... good time to work on other projects. That's what I've been doin' too.

Cheers, and hope it clears sometime before December.

T

• BlueMoon likes this

#98 Dwight J

Dwight J

Soyuz

• Loc: Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada

Posted 28 July 2021 - 08:02 PM

Had 3 out of 4 days relatively smoke free.  Ironically, Tomorrow is my 4th anniversary for quitting smoking.  Nice to be away from smoke at least for a few days but the heat has been turned up with 42 C (107.6 F) on Monday and 38.5 t(101.3 F) today.  We eed a big rain to gain control over these fires but none in sight. 

• telesonic and CowTipton like this

#99 kksmith

kksmith

Viking 1

• Loc: Montana

Posted 31 July 2021 - 01:15 PM

I live in Montana, well in the path of Oregon/California's smoke plume. Add to that our own wildfires - a 26K acre and a 16K acre blaze within 30/40 minutes of me. July has been a solid month of 90° plus days with very low to single digit humidity. No rain, which in one case is good. Rain clouds bring lightning, lightning means wildfire. 

Have a new ST120 that I've only been able to out once...on a dreaded Full Moon night. Low snowpack, low flows, high temps leading to high water temps mean my other pursuit - chasing trout with a long rod is also on hold. 

The wildfire boys are saying these fire conditions are going to last into October/November - the time of possible heavy back country snows. Until then...the West remains on fire. 

A lot of these fires could have been mitigated if harvesting of dead/downed by the logging companies were allowed. But since such is off limits, the back county will always remain a virtual tinderbox. 

Welcome to the new norm.

Ken

Edited by kksmith, 31 July 2021 - 01:17 PM.

• payner, jcj380 and Foundationer like this

#100 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators

Posted 31 July 2021 - 01:46 PM

The transparency was poor last night at the Naylor Observatory.

Here's today's Canadian smoke map.

https://firesmoke.ca...Ki3Od7Y00YWrTsE

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics