•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Smoky Skies!

• Please log in to reply
181 replies to this topic

#151 tommm

tommm

Apollo

Posted 14 August 2021 - 01:02 PM

While the smoke continues to be bad here, many fires in the State, along with those on the West coast; I would rather suffer the smoke than have to be evacuated, and wonder if you have a home to come back to.

The two times I've had to be evacuated; my astronomy equipment was the last thing on my mind. 

Yeah, it's not even on my "fire" list that I keep on my desk.  Mostly photos, records/files, computers, bag packed with clothes...

Been smoky here in western NV for most of July and August so far. I forget how to use the scope.  But, I've been working on a mirror, because to misquote an old blues song "stars gonna shine in my back door someday..." smile.gif

Edited by tommm, 14 August 2021 - 01:05 PM.

#152 Bill Weir

Bill Weir

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Metchosin (Victoria), Canada

Posted 17 August 2021 - 05:14 PM

From my niece in Kelowna BC at the edge of a fire.

https://www.instagra...edium=copy_link

Part of why the star party I was supposed to go to last week was cancelled. It’s held about an hour to the south from where she was standing so in that RED at the top of a mountain with only one bad 20km road in and out.

Bill

#153 ayadai

ayadai

Viking 1

• Loc: Northern Mariana Islands, Micronesia

Posted 17 August 2021 - 05:18 PM

From my niece in Kelowna BC at the edge of a fire.

https://www.instagra...edium=copy_link

Part of why the star party I was supposed to go to last week was cancelled. It’s held about an hour to the south from where she was standing so in that RED at the top of a mountain with only one bad 20km road in and out.

Bill

The link requires a login; perhaps the image could be posted outside of social media...

#154 BlueMoon

BlueMoon

Surveyor 1

• Loc: South Central Idaho, USA

Posted 29 August 2021 - 10:24 AM

Finally! After weeks of blood red moons and neon orange stars here in south central Idaho, a break. Visibility and transparency in the 9's, mild temps and even my neighbors had their outside lights off. 3 hours at the eye piece. Cassiopeia and her neighborhood was spectacular. waytogo.gif

Edited by BlueMoon, 30 August 2021 - 06:58 AM.

• Jon Isaacs and mikerepp like this

#155 wrnchhead

wrnchhead

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: NE Kansas

Posted 07 September 2021 - 05:38 PM

3D84BE0D-82E7-48D7-BCE1-CFC71EC57AFC.jpeg

Perfect new moon Labor Day weekend foiled by clouds and now it looks like all of us are dealing with transparency issues to some extent. My general niche of this hobby is astrophotography but I also observe. I have noticed when I am under a triple stack of smoke like this I can’t get my FWHM much under 3.5. I guess I can still do my thing but unlikely to end up on Astrobin!

I noticed the planets won’t take too much magnification like this either. I guess I’m just posting this to commiserate our struggles.  

• dave253 likes this

#156 Achernar

Achernar

Voyager 1

• Loc: Mobile, Alabama, USA

Posted 07 September 2021 - 05:56 PM

Smoke has killed the transparency here on the Gulf Coast repeatedly this summer. I don't expect it to be any better until winter if ever since it seems fires are ongoing year round.

Taras

• dave253 likes this

#157 dave253

dave253

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Australia

Posted 07 September 2021 - 06:03 PM

Yep, we had widespread bushfires in the spring of ‘19. I remember one night going out for a look and could only see stars down to mag 3-4, and they were all various shades of red. It was a frightening time, people lost their homes, and I feel deeply for everyone having to experience it. 

• paul hart, csa/montana and wrnchhead like this

#158 paul hart

paul hart

Surveyor 1

• Loc: 50 M East of NYC

Posted 07 September 2021 - 06:05 PM

The smoke is bad enough but losing your home is far worse.

• dave253 and ShaulaB like this

#159 wrnchhead

wrnchhead

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: NE Kansas

Posted 07 September 2021 - 06:21 PM

Yes, I definitely agree that I am complaining about the best part of a bad situation.

• dave253 likes this

#160 CeeKay

CeeKay

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Vancouver, WA

Posted 07 September 2021 - 06:24 PM

The smoke has returned to the area again... orange haze in the sky.  Hopefully the winds shift and some cooler weather shows up soon.

• dave253 likes this

#161 BlueMoon

BlueMoon

Surveyor 1

• Loc: South Central Idaho, USA

Posted 07 September 2021 - 07:15 PM

The smoke has returned to the area again... orange haze in the sky.  Hopefully the winds shift and some cooler weather shows up soon.

Same here. The real shame is that the sky has been devoid of clouds for the most part. The haze, smoke and dust has made it nigh on impossible to observe though. Had one exceptional night a few nights back then ...

• dave253, wrnchhead and CeeKay like this

#162 Chucky

Chucky

Surveyor 1

Posted 07 September 2021 - 07:30 PM

Was at Calhoun County Park last night in WV. Dark blue sky during the afternoon. Had some clouds during the night but when the sky opened up it was quite transparent despite heavy ground dew.

#163 CeeKay

CeeKay

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Vancouver, WA

Posted 08 September 2021 - 06:40 PM

Skies have cleared today - ash was covering vehicles in the area overnight (I heard that the local car wash businesses were backed up for blocks in some locations).  Some high clouds passing through the area now... hoping that it holds for viewing tonight and early tomorrow morning.

#164 vsteblina

vsteblina

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Wenatchee, Washington

Posted 08 September 2021 - 09:33 PM

The smoke is bad enough but losing your home is far worse.

What is really bad is losing your observatory.

When the fire, last month came within 50 feet of the house.  I told the folks on the fire truck parked in my driveway.

I can always get another house, at this point, I am not sure I can get another AP mount.  Protect the observatory.

#165 Bill Weir

Bill Weir

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Metchosin (Victoria), Canada

Posted 08 September 2021 - 09:54 PM

What is really bad is losing your observatory.

When the fire, last month came within 50 feet of the house.  I told the folks on the fire truck parked in my driveway.

I can always get another house, at this point, I am not sure I can get another AP mount.  Protect the observatory.

I take it you won that battle. Whew!

Bill

#166 galacticinsomnia

galacticinsomnia

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Pacific Northwest - Oregon

Posted 08 September 2021 - 11:59 PM

Often cannot breathe with the smoke.  Last year it was like a sci fi movie.  Everything was graded in yellow/orange/red through sept.

Been getting it again pretty bad here in PNW, but having the coast pushing back a little bit is a good thing.

Taking the gear out anyway. 

Clear Skies !!

• ShaulaB likes this

#167 John Fitzgerald

John Fitzgerald

In Focus

• Loc: near Elkins and Pettigrew, Arkansas

Posted 12 September 2021 - 08:43 AM

The smoke cleared here for a couple of nights last week, but it's back now even worse than before.  Last night, only first magnitude stars were visible.

#168 payner

payner

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Bluegrass & SW Appalachian Regions, Kentucky

Posted 12 September 2021 - 09:44 AM

I agree. Last night it was bad -- could see the effects yesterday and now today.

#169 Special Ed

Special Ed

Voyager 1

• Loc: Greenbrier County, WV 38N, 80W

Posted 12 September 2021 - 11:46 AM

Very smoky here last night, too.  Milky skies today.

#170 John Fitzgerald

John Fitzgerald

In Focus

• Loc: near Elkins and Pettigrew, Arkansas

Posted 12 September 2021 - 03:13 PM

Clear Sky Chart says very little smoke here.  Astrospheric says heavy smoke.  Reality is heavy smoke, so bad that observing is nearly hopeless, unless looking at the Moon or Jupiter.  What's wrong with CSC?

#171 Chucke

Chucke

Viking 1

• Loc: AZ

Posted 12 September 2021 - 03:31 PM

Atmospheric shows maximum smoke here.  After looking out the window I think they are right.  It is really nasty outside.  

#172 galacticinsomnia

galacticinsomnia

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Pacific Northwest - Oregon

Posted 12 September 2021 - 05:54 PM

Have been shooting through it anyways, cost me nothing to run the gear, and just toss out all the uglies..
The skies have been hazy, and having oddly gear patches, so I just do it anyways..
Been shooting the Lagoon complex again as I only get it for about 1hr a day max, and then the Heart and Soul Nebulas.  Some star bloatring and some tracking but at 335mm it's pretty forgiving.

Clear Skies !!

• wrnchhead likes this

#173 brlasy1

brlasy1

Ranger 4

• Loc: Texas

Posted 12 September 2021 - 06:28 PM

We're in a heavy part of the downstream plume in Central Texas.  Looks like a West Texas dust storm, but no dust.  

I can see Jupiter, Saturn barely, an orange moon, and a few bright stars (Arcturus and Antares, for example), but little else.  I tried some shots of M31 the other night, but the skyglow noise in the processed image was just incredible.  Waiting for cold fronts to start sweeping out the atmosphere here.

My hat's off to those of you living in the vicinity of the fires.  Stay safe.

• galacticinsomnia likes this

#174 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators
  • Loc: PA, USA, Planet Earth

Posted 13 September 2021 - 01:54 AM

After a week or so with good transparency, things began to go downhill here in central Pennsylvania last night. Tonight the transparency was simply awful.

https://www.ospo.noa.../currenthms.jpg

#175 Chucky

Chucky

Surveyor 1

Posted 13 September 2021 - 07:44 AM

Central Ohio skies turned terrible.  Dark red sunrise.  Sure hope things improve for early October and New Moon.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics