•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Smoky Skies!

• Please log in to reply
181 replies to this topic

#176 Cfeastside

Cfeastside

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Eastern sierra California

Posted 13 September 2021 - 08:08 AM

Enjoyed a week of no smoke or haze and was able to use the scope.   Had monsoon weather move back in with a lot of moisture which helped squash fires to the north and south of us.  Unfortunately three new fires started due to lightning in SEKI which is immediately south west of us.  Smoke is back now and the house smells like wildfire smoke.  Weird the aq is pretty good but it stills smells.  Ugh.  I hope we get our typical fall snow storm soon to kill this stuff.  im over it!

#177 payner

payner

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Bluegrass & SW Appalachian Regions, Kentucky

Posted 13 September 2021 - 08:33 AM

This early morning looked surreal.  Somewhat like a heavy fog, though the sun would not have been shuttered behind fog looking like an orange ball.  The conditions here are worse than earlier in the summer when I thought they were bad.  Little did I know.  If not for the heavy smoke this time of year is typically ideal for observing during our "dry" time of the year.

Randy

#178 Special Ed

Special Ed

Voyager 1

• Loc: Greenbrier County, WV 38N, 80W

Posted 13 September 2021 - 08:36 AM

After a week or so with good transparency, things began to go downhill here in central Pennsylvania last night. Tonight the transparency was simply awful.

https://www.ospo.noa.../currenthms.jpg

Same situation here.  I gave up on Jupiter last night (Sunday).

#179 dbrb

dbrb

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 13 September 2021 - 10:23 AM

Last week views were good. The MilkyWay started becoming faint Friday . The next night many of the dimmer stars were not visible to the naked eye. Jupiter views were better and could see the striations which is hard to do on our f4 scope. 

The next week is all about lunar watching, so maybe the dust will dissipate.

I know forest fires are inevitable. Forestry management is the key to better control. But I digress. 

#180 brlasy1

brlasy1

Ranger 4

• Loc: Texas

Posted 14 September 2021 - 11:24 AM

The smoke plume is dissipating in Central Texas, probably pulled away by Hurricane Nicholas east of here.  I could see a lot more stars last night, the moon was not orange, and sunrise today was not blood red.

M31 here I come!

#181 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators
  • Loc: PA, USA, Planet Earth

Posted 14 September 2021 - 09:13 PM

The local weathermen were talking about the wildfire smoke again today but once again there's no smoke warning on the CSC.

https://fire.airnow.gov/

#182 Sam Danigelis

Sam Danigelis

Viking 1

• Loc: Excelsior Springs, MO

Posted 17 September 2021 - 11:57 AM

I've lost way more good observing to smoke this year than clouds.

I suppose someone has already suggested this. If so, I will second the motion that we rename this website to SN (Smoky Nights).
  • Oscar56 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics