•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Nikon 10x20 Stabilized Binoculars

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 drt3d

drt3d

Ranger 4

• topic starter
  • Loc: Cleveland Ohio USA

Posted 18 July 2021 - 02:35 PM

This was an early birthday gift from me to myself smile.gif (my birthday was yesterday).

Ordered them from Japan on ebay. Quite a few sellers list these. Prices are comparable. All sellers have anywhere from 5 to 15 business days before shipping them, which means that they do not have them in stock but they are buying from somewhere else (perhaps Nikon). I found a seller with good feedback, one of the lowest prices ($647 shipped - I used my ebay points and saved $45) and the lowest delay (5 business days). Here is the link: https://www.ebay.com/itm/284198833572

I ordered them Saturday July 3 and were delivered to me in the USA on Friday July 9 with DHL. So, great speed and service from this seller.

I ordered the blue version (would have preferred red, but it makes no real difference). I have been testing them for the last week or so. So far I am very pleased. Quality is good (for 10x20) and stablization is perfect. Of course, the Canon 10x42 is still the king and my favorite pair, but now these will be my traveling pair when I want to pack light.

Something different: Without the stabilization turned on, only the right image is visible and it vibrates a lot. You have to press the button at the top (which is turned on/off easily often unintentionally) to turn the stabilization on and get the stabllized image from both sides. In one respect, this is nice because you always know if the stabilization is on or not. The battery seems to last a long time and you can have a spare (there is a little holder that goes to the strap - you can see it in one of the pictures) always with you. Replacement batteries are $15 for 10 on Amazon.

As I said, I am happy with the image, quality of construction, and handling of this pair. Better than the Canon 10x30 IMO. I am still testing. The fact that they are so compact means that I now take them everywhere I go, which is a big plus.

Stabilization is a game-changer for me. Especially at this small size, it is very difficult to keep the binoculars steady. I wish Nikon would introduce more stabilized models and  other manufacturers would offer stabilized binoculars. 

Is it worth the $650? It is for me. It would be nice if they were offered for sale in the USA for less, but I am fine with the cost vs. performance ratio.

Here are some pictures of my pair:

NikonStab.jpg

• spazmore, SMark, Foss and 2 others like this

#2 ihf

ihf

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: California, USA

Posted 18 July 2021 - 05:05 PM

Very nice. I had this on my extended list, but was hoping for Nikon to introduce it to the US market. It looks like a keeper! Any thoughts on actual eye relief and vailing glare with a dark foreground against/near the setting sun?

And congrats to your Bday!

Edited by ihf, 18 July 2021 - 05:06 PM.

#3 dries1

dries1

Messenger

Posted 18 July 2021 - 05:07 PM

Happy Birthday, and many more.

Andy W.

#4 Stevenkelby

Stevenkelby

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Adelaide Hills, South Australia

Posted 19 July 2021 - 11:06 PM

I just ordered them ☺ 

I've been trying to decide between 20/25mm premium binos from zeiss /Leica etc.

IS on my Canon 15x50 allows me to resolve so much extra detail that I was finding it hard to justify buying $500+ binos without it, for handheld use anyway.

I'm sure the glass does not have that same special quality I've seen looking through the little Leica and Zeiss binos in store, but the added stability of IS justifies it for me.

My main frustration with hand held binos is definitely the unavoidable jiggling around of the the image, leading me to almost always pay more attention to trying to holding still, than to what I'm actually looking at.

Looking forward to these! 

#5 Stevenkelby

Stevenkelby

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 20 July 2021 - 12:22 AM

This was an early birthday gift from me to myself smile.gif (my birthday was yesterday).

Ordered them from Japan on ebay. Quite a few sellers list these. Prices are comparable. All sellers have anywhere from 5 to 15 business days before shipping them, which means that they do not have them in stock but they are buying from somewhere else (perhaps Nikon). I found a seller with good feedback, one of the lowest prices ($647 shipped - I used my ebay points and saved $45) and the lowest delay (5 business days). Here is the link: https://www.ebay.com/itm/284198833572

I ordered them Saturday July 3 and were delivered to me in the USA on Friday July 9 with DHL. So, great speed and service from this seller.

I ordered the blue version (would have preferred red, but it makes no real difference). I have been testing them for the last week or so. So far I am very pleased. Quality is good (for 10x20) and stablization is perfect. Of course, the Canon 10x42 is still the king and my favorite pair, but now these will be my traveling pair when I want to pack light.

Something different: Without the stabilization turned on, only the right image is visible and it vibrates a lot. You have to press the button at the top (which is turned on/off easily often unintentionally) to turn the stabilization on and get the stabllized image from both sides. In one respect, this is nice because you always know if the stabilization is on or not. The battery seems to last a long time and you can have a spare (there is a little holder that goes to the strap - you can see it in one of the pictures) always with you. Replacement batteries are $15 for 10 on Amazon.

As I said, I am happy with the image, quality of construction, and handling of this pair. Better than the Canon 10x30 IMO. I am still testing. The fact that they are so compact means that I now take them everywhere I go, which is a big plus.

Stabilization is a game-changer for me. Especially at this small size, it is very difficult to keep the binoculars steady. I wish Nikon would introduce more stabilized models and  other manufacturers would offer stabilized binoculars. 

Is it worth the $650? It is for me. It would be nice if they were offered for sale in the USA for less, but I am fine with the cost vs. performance ratio.

attachicon.gifNikonStab.jpg

One minor correction to the thread title, they are 10x25, not 10x20.

#6 chanrobi

chanrobi

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 20 July 2021 - 09:36 AM

attachicon.gifNikonStab.jpg

*How* are they better than the Canon 10x30's.

The 10x30's are cheaper than these nikons with a bigger objective. The 12 x 36's IS are about the same price as these 10x20's, with obviously a much bigger objective.

#7 Stevenkelby

Stevenkelby

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 20 July 2021 - 10:12 AM

*How* are they better than the Canon 10x30's.

The 10x30's are cheaper than these nikons with a bigger objective. The 12 x 36's IS are about the same price as these 10x20's, with obviously a much bigger objective.

For me it's size /weight and pocketability. I have no idea optically though. 

#8 drt3d

drt3d

Ranger 4

• topic starter
  • Loc: Cleveland Ohio USA

Posted 20 July 2021 - 10:12 AM

Sorry, yes, they are 10x25 not 10x20. I wish I could edit the Topic subject line but it does not seem possible.

How are the Nikon 10x25 better than the Canon 10x30 IS?

I have the Canon 10x30 (the original one) and compared them side-by-side. Less chromatic aberration is the first thing that jumps out for me (I am sensitive to chromatic aberration). Also, I believe sharper. But they are different "animals" so to speak. The Canon gives a slightly brighter image that some people will enjoy. It is also heavier and not as small/light/portable as the Nikon. If the chromatic aberration and extra weight/size does not bother someone, then the Canon would be a better choice for the same price, or less.

My wife likes the Canon 10x30 and that's the only reason I have kept them, or I would have sold them long ago. Curiously, she is not using the stabilization, despite me telling her to "press the button". I think it has to do with the way the binoculars fit her face. Anyways, she likes them and she keeps them at the dinning table to look at birds around the house. 

I have also tried the 15x50 and 18x50. I gave the 15x50 to my son and sold the 18x50. I was never happy with the Canon IS optical quality, until I got the 10x42. For a while, I used the Fujinon IS binoculars, which I thought were better optically than the Canon, until two of them stopped working. Then I gave up on Fujinon. The situation changed when I got the 10x42, which I really enjoy using. I hesitated at first to spend that kind of money, after my experience with the other Canon IS, but I am glad i did. The combination of optical quality, stabilization, and the way these binoculars fit my face/eyes, is a big hit for me. So, regarding stabilized binoculars, the Canon 10x42 is the first choice for me, and the Nikon 10x25 is more portable choice for traveling lighter. Chances are higher than I will take the Nikon with me going for a walk, etc. The best binoculars are the ones you use more often.

George

Edited by drt3d, 20 July 2021 - 10:15 AM.

• Rich V., ihf, Stevenkelby and 1 other like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics