•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Tablet astronomy?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Don-richardo

Don-richardo

Explorer 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: tupelo ms.

Posted 19 July 2021 - 07:10 AM

Hello folks! We had our houe brokem i to a couple of weeks ago and they got my laptop. (My they get toe rot) and i am exploring what can be done on my galaxy tab A. 8" (2019) Any input would be appreciated! I use a SVP goto and a nikon D3200. Thanks ton's

Rick

#2 lphilpot

lphilpot

Vanguard

• Loc: Central Lousiana, USA

Posted 19 July 2021 - 09:36 AM

Wow... sorry to hear about that. I've had "only" a couple of things stolen from my carport years ago and even that was more than too much.

I use SkySafari 6 Pro on my Samsung Galaxy Tab A 2017. I don't control a scope with it, but I could if I wanted (iOptron AZMP). I used to take a laptop when I needed something beyond paper charts, but now my tablet does that. I bought a Belkin Bluetooth keyboard several years ago and it works well with the tablet. I also use a nice little text editor app called QuickEdit+ if I need to take general notes, etc.

Edited by lphilpot, 19 July 2021 - 09:38 AM.

• Don-richardo likes this

#3 sbradley07

sbradley07

Viking 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: Connecticut

Posted 19 July 2021 - 02:22 PM

Hello folks! We had our houe brokem i to a couple of weeks ago and they got my laptop. (My they get toe rot) and i am exploring what can be done on my galaxy tab A. 8" (2019) Any input would be appreciated! I use a SVP goto and a nikon D3200. Thanks ton's

Rick

What software were you using for image capture on the laptop, what kind of astrophotography are you doing, are you plate-solving? 

You won't get a lot of function using just a tablet, unless you get something like an ASIAir Pro...but that's just getting another computer.  You could get a wifi adapter for the mount to control it from the tab, and they make a wifi adapter for your camera, but the networking might get a little wonky.  If those wifi adapters can be connected to your home wifi, and the apps that control the camera and mount can see those devices on the network, you should be able to control both to do some imaging.  

#4 Don-richardo

Don-richardo

Explorer 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: tupelo ms.

Posted 23 July 2021 - 07:34 AM

Thank you folks! I think its a better idea to just get another lap top. Like the tab a but it's not ment for this much work. It's still a pretty got star harter but thats about the most i can expect fromit. The free Stellarium app works pretty well on it. 

Thank you guys! 

Rick.

#5 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

World Controller

• Moderators
  • Loc: Georgia

Posted 23 July 2021 - 09:32 AM

You might consider an older refurbished laptop - they can be fairly inexpensive. I use one to run most of my astro applications, and the cost was modest.

#6 ShaulaB

ShaulaB

Soyuz

• Loc: Missouri

Posted 23 July 2021 - 09:34 AM

Our cheapo old Android tablet runs a CGE Pro using Sky Safari Plus. No problems
  • elmiko and Don-richardo like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics