•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Older SLT127 (2012) can I polar align with a wedge?

Polar Alignment
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 BrushPilot

BrushPilot

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: North Star, Alberta

Posted 19 July 2021 - 04:10 PM

I was about to build a wedge for this  scope to do better imaging but any reference I've come across to doing this involves the Nexstar+ HC and NXS firmware. Is there any way around this without throwing money at it? I think I've read that getting the new HC on an older scope might get problematic. Anyone know if this is the case?

#2 skaiser

skaiser

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: dallas Texas

Posted 19 July 2021 - 04:41 PM

If you don’t want to spend any money on “gadgets “ to help polar align, you can always use the Drift alignment method.

if you already have a camera setup on your scope and can control its exposure times, you can use this method to accurately polar align.

It just takes a little longer and more hands on work to do the alignment, but it will give you accurate results.

Do a google search and you will find a number of ways/ explanations for polar drift alignment.

take care 

and yes, you would still need a wedge .

Edited by skaiser, 19 July 2021 - 04:42 PM.

#3 BrushPilot

BrushPilot

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 July 2021 - 05:19 PM

If you don’t want to spend any money on “gadgets “ to help polar align, you can always use the Drift alignment method.

I guess I should have specified that polar alignment itself isn't the problem – I do some school outreach and wanted the kids to be able to do a two star alignment (or similar) and then be able to do goto with SkySafari and maybe try some imaging during decent seeing without the altitude axis jitter intruding every 30 seconds, hence the wedge. The age groups I normally have don't have the patience to stay interested while somebody techno-fiddles with the drift method.

Mainly I wanted to smooth the process so that the kids could do most of this themselves with me hovering anxiously.

Thanks for the help!

#4 skaiser

skaiser

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: dallas Texas

Posted 19 July 2021 - 08:11 PM

Oh

sorry I don’t know anything on the SLT127.

have you checked the nexstarsite.com , Michael Swanson has a wealth of information on what is possible with the nexstar controlled scopes.

you could probably query him directly, and if anyone can tell you how to do it he can.

take care

#5 Michael_Swanson

Michael_Swanson

Author of The NexStar Users Guide

• Vendors

Posted 21 July 2021 - 11:21 PM

Hi Pilot,

The 2012 NexStar 127 SLT has a version 4 hand control.  You can load the NXS 4.22 firmware in that hand control and gain the EQ North alignment methods you need on a wedge.  My instructions for loading firmware are found here:

https://www.nexstars...wToVersion4.htm

Best regards,
Mike Swanson
https://www.NexStarSite.com

#6 BrushPilot

BrushPilot

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 July 2021 - 10:48 AM

Hi Pilot,

The 2012 NexStar 127 SLT has a version 4 hand control.  You can load the NXS 4.22 firmware in that hand control and gain the EQ North alignment methods you need on a wedge.  My instructions for loading firmware are found here:

https://www.nexstars...wToVersion4.htm

Best regards,
Mike Swanson
https://www.NexStarSite.com

Thanks Mike,

I wasn't sure, on your webpage it states that –

"Note:  It is possible to use the NXS firmware on the NexStar SLT.  This will provide EQ alignment routines useful if you have fashioned a way to polar align (use of a wedge) your SLT scope." but I couldn't be sure it applied to the 4.22 firmware. I'm still waiting for my programming cable so I thought I'd ask to be sure. Between fire smoke, clouds and northern twilight all night, I'm still waiting to try out this SLT. I think the most valuable telescope accessory has to be patience. In the interim, I've been pouring over your website and truly appreciate the time and detail you've put into it.

Many thanks

• Michael_Swanson likes this

#7 Aaron Small

Aaron Small

Vostok 1

Posted 25 July 2021 - 12:49 PM

BrushPilot,

I have an old SLT from 2011.  I mainly use it for my PST or to hold my DSLR but I had it mounted on a DIY wedge a few years ago.  Follow Mike's website and the NXS EQ firmware works great on those old v4 HCs. 

If you feel like you've bricked it (you shouldn't if you follow directions and have patience), send me a PM and I'll ship you my old one for cost of shipping.  Its just collecting dust in the bottom of my bin.  I switched out for the Nexstar+ controllers for the few added features a couple years ago.

• BrushPilot likes this

#8 BrushPilot

BrushPilot

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 July 2021 - 11:59 PM

Thanks Aaron,

The gallant Mr. Swanson solved my problem by pointing out that I hadn't scrolled far enough to discover the NXS firmware. All loaded now and I'll try it out tomorrow.

• Michael_Swanson and Aaron Small like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Polar Alignment

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics