•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

The B-Ring Ansae

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 k.s.min

k.s.min

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 19 July 2021 - 06:50 PM

Tonight  sky  was  great.

Seeing, transeparency  was  all  good  (sub  excellent)  ,  even  the  atmosphere  stability  was  extraordinary  to  continue  full  3 hours  observation  in  happiness.

l  observed  for  2 hours  Saturn,  for 1 hour  Ganymede.

By  the  help  of  full  2 hours  seeing  stability  l  could  find  the  nature  of  the  B-Ring  Ansae.

Never    seen   this  nature  before 

On   this  night  l  saw   2   different  things  at   the  ansae.

First   ,      l  saw    the  gradual   gradient  shadow  of  B-ring  ansae   [GGBA ]   not  only  at  the  ansae  place  but  also  l  saw  it

continues  to  stretch  around  whole   beyond  ansae  place  where  inner  B-ring  meets  C-ring.

Second,     l  saw  the  GGBA   stretchs   not  20~30 %  of  B-ring's  width  but   80~100 %  of  it.

most  observers   see  or  saw   20~30%  GGBA (  so  do  l  untill  before).

..............most  important;   l  saw   this  [Second  thing]  for  full  2  hours.....No  illusion...!!  

For  Ganymede  

l  saw  various dark  shimmering  changing   detail  like  as  x, z,  y,  t,  ...shapes....but  [Y]  was  most dominant.

Nagler  3.5s  onto  bino  viewer  at  x1050  high  power  performed  most  effectively....at  this  power  the  moon's limb   was

still  sharp.   x770  with  Nagler  4.8  works  well  but  x1050  was  better  to  me  to  see  the  dull  detail.   

===============================================================

다운로드.jpg

Edited by k.s.min, 19 July 2021 - 06:57 PM.

• Special Ed, hbanich, Vlad and 15 others like this

#2 mdowns

mdowns

Gemini

• Moderators
  • Loc: Englewood,FL

Posted 19 July 2021 - 07:24 PM

Another superb drawing K.S. You've observed and drawn many details that I've not been able to see for myself but can certainly imagine with the aid of your piece.Seven or eight years back I did a lot of planetary viewing when we lived in an area unfavorable to dso viewing.I did see on several occasions,the markings on ganymede you've drawn and was especially attracted to that portion of your post.I really enjoy your drawing technique and paper choices!

#3 deepwoods1

deepwoods1

Vanguard

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 19 July 2021 - 08:10 PM

All I can say is STUNNING!

#4 Astro-Master

Astro-Master

Apollo

• Loc: San Diego County,Ca.

Posted 19 July 2021 - 08:39 PM

Great sketch,

Sounds like it was one of those rare nights when almost anything is possible.  What size and type of scope did you use, and where were you observing from?

#5 niteskystargazer

niteskystargazer

Cosmos

• Loc: 41-43'-28" N 87-42'-39" W

Posted 20 July 2021 - 10:45 AM

K.S.

Very nice sketch of The B-Ring Ansae smile.gif ,

CS,KLU,

thanx.gif ,

Tom

#6 k.s.min

k.s.min

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 20 July 2021 - 01:51 PM

Great sketch,

Sounds like it was one of those rare nights when almost anything is possible.  What size and type of scope did you use, and where were you observing from?

[Almost anything is possible.]

That's  a  great  word.  yea,  on  the night  with  a  keen  ambition  to  find  out  the  nature  of  the  spoke  effect

that   wonders  me  for   one  year,     l

was  eagerly  concentrating  Saturn ring  observation .  For  2  hours  l  did  my  effort  to  gaze  at  there  with  my  breath  taken  every  minute  every  second. 

Now  l'm  happy  with  myself   discovering  the  2  facts  [  First  and  Second  thing ]  with  a  rock  steady  confirmation  by   2  hours  continuous  viewing  of  it.

l   was  observing   on  the  night  at  my  house  backyard  in  South  Korea  with  my  own  homade  12.8 inch  refractor.      

l  am always  grateful  for  the  great  2  optics' (  13"  lens  ,  18"  optical  flat)  makers  &  dealers  who   

offered  it  to  me.  

Edited by k.s.min, 20 July 2021 - 02:08 PM.

• ianatcn likes this

#7 frank5817

frank5817

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Mesa, Arizona

Posted 20 July 2021 - 02:52 PM

K.S.,

Excellent sketching here as always.

Frank :)

#8 Special Ed

Special Ed

Voyager 1

• Loc: Greenbrier County, WV 38N, 80W

Posted 20 July 2021 - 08:20 PM

k.s.,

Excellent sketching, observations, and report.  You certainly made the most of your seeing.  The observation and sketch of Ganymede is amazing, too.

I think you should submit your Saturn sketches and report to Dr. Julius Benton.  He is the coordinator of the Saturn section of ALPO.  I believe he would love to see it.  You can send it to him at this address:

saturn@alpo-astronomy.org

#9 k.s.min

k.s.min

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 20 July 2021 - 11:55 PM

Thanks  for  all  comments-likes.

#10 k.s.min

k.s.min

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 21 July 2021 - 01:07 AM

k.s.,

Excellent sketching, observations, and report.  You certainly made the most of your seeing.  The observation and sketch of Ganymede is amazing, too.

I think you should submit your Saturn sketches and report to Dr. Julius Benton.  He is the coordinator of the Saturn section of ALPO.  I believe he would love to see it.  You can send it to him at this address:

saturn@alpo-astronomy.org

Thanks Michael  for  your  comment - advice.

l 'm  shame  to  submit  my  Saturn   reports  to  advanced  astronomers.

This  is  still  humble  observations  only  for  recent   serious  1~2  years  observation   though  l  am  fully satisfied   myself  with  several  results  for  Saturn's  nature.

Usually,

seeing  (find  out)  for  the  first  time  something  new  is  the  most  difficult  tast,   if  someone  once  had  seen (find)   something  new  in  eyepiece,   after  then, the  next & next   seeing-serching   is  easy &   easy.

lf  l  just  saw  the  80%~100%  long  stretching  GGBA (spoke?) once,  then,  l  think,  it  will  be  easy  to  see  again  and  again 

on  next  following  many  nights.     

So  l  dicided  to  observe  the   long  stretching  GGBA  at  the  B-ring  ansae  on  follwing  more   nights....whether  those  are  that  long  or  not  on  following  many  nights.  

l  don't  know  why  the  GGBA  was  that  long  stretched  on  that  night.....it  was  strage. 

2 hours  observation  was  so  exciting    that  l  have  no time  to  eyepiece  sketch.     1 hour  later  after  finish  the  3  hours  session  l  made  my  sketches  in  memory  but  the  3  hours- 2  objects - long  session  interrupted  to pick-out  the  memories  ,  and   the  irregular  spokes  shown  in  3  small  box  sub  pictures  are  by  rough  ,not  exact  memories , but  by   overall  feelings  that  l  saw  in  a  second  or  in a  fraction  of  a  second .

Ganymede  at  x420   shines  in  golden  yellow  color,   at  over   x1000   its  color  was  pale  gray  green  with  2-  dimensional  round  dish  shape ,  this  is  because  by  the  Nagler's  achromatic  filtering  effect,  l  think,  for  that  Orthos  does'nt  so.

Becoming  a  avid  planetary  observer,  several  months  ago  l  asked  a  Europian  for  the  quotation  of  a  20"  lens  in  cell  F12,  still  it,s  beyond  my  overall  ability.   

Edited by k.s.min, 21 July 2021 - 01:12 AM.

#11 stanislas-jean

stanislas-jean

Gemini

• -----

Posted 21 July 2021 - 04:25 AM

Hi KS MIN,

Impressive results, very very few observers brought such mateial.

Congratulations.

Could you bring more about your OTA, 13" ACR refractor? May be with a photo of the gun...

Thanks a lot for this input.

Stanislas-Jean

• mdowns likes this

#12 Uwe Pilz

Uwe Pilz

Gemini

• Moderators
  • Loc: Leipzig, Germany

Posted 22 July 2021 - 12:08 AM

You catched a lot of the feature often described in articles but rarely seen. I am deeply impressed and slightly jealous.

#13 k.s.min

k.s.min

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 22 July 2021 - 06:44 AM

Hi KS MIN,

Impressive results, very very few observers brought such mateial.

Congratulations.

Could you bring more about your OTA, 13" ACR refractor? May be with a photo of the gun...

Thanks a lot for this input.

Stanislas-Jean

Thank  you, Stanislas-Jean.

My telescopes  are   all  made  from  wood.  Though   if   for  50years  or  more  time  passed  it  should  be  bent,  my  cconcept  is  that  all  of  my  telescopes  may  built  with  wood  not  metal   because  lifetime  is  short   and  l  do  not  want    waste  my  time  to  make  with  time-consuming  metal  work.  more  over l  have  so  many  hobbies  to  devote  myself  (astronomy  is  only  one  of  them)  l  have  little   time  for  every  my  hobbies.  My  best  lifetime-important  hobby  is  painting.

The  image  of  planets  enter  into  the  OTA  via  the  18"  optical  flat  and  OTA  aims  permanently  to  the  North polar  star.   the  6 m  long  OTA  ride  on   2  bearings,    rotates  by  manualy  worm wheel  at  the  top  bearing  end  in  the  observing   shelter.  (  13"  LENS's  focal  lenght  is    3700mm).

As  you  see  the  best  benefit  of  this  type  mounting   system  is  the  permanent  rock  steady  focucer  which  never  change  its  position  offering  me  the  best  comfortable  dark  environment....always  ready  to  do  star-work.  also  there  are  some  big  drawbacks.

Recently   built  4 m  high   welded  truss  pilar  ....  on   its  top    the  small  crain  will  hang up   the  planned  12"  bino-refractor  (  2  lenses  of    12"  F10  DKD   in   mint  condition  that     l  bought  15years  ago  will  meet  the  star  light  soon.)

=======================================

Attached Thumbnails

• 20210722_190110.jpg
  • 20210722_185802.jpg
  • 20210703_041149.jpg
  • 20210722_190609.jpg

Edited by k.s.min, 22 July 2021 - 07:08 AM.

• ianatcn and mdowns like this

#14 k.s.min

k.s.min

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 22 July 2021 - 06:48 AM

You catched a lot of the feature often described in articles but rarely seen. I am deeply impressed and slightly jealous.

Thank  you  ,  Uwe Pilz.

#15 stanislas-jean

stanislas-jean

Gemini

• -----

Posted 22 July 2021 - 09:12 AM

Thanks a lot KS MIN for the input.

It looks like a coleostat design where the eyepiece holder is very stable without annoying shakes when settling the focuser.

As you brought lot of tiny features, delicate, low contrasted on saturn, may I suggest you have a look on uranus and neptune.

These planets are showing their pôle toward us.

On uranus it is expected a dark pôle, relatively, and other events like iced clouds.

Could you?

We are few reporting on that subject, essentially british observers, David Gray, Martin Lewis, Chris Nutall, italian Franco Reali, me, at the japaneese alpo website and others but by imaging.

Hope you could.

Good skies

Stanislas-Jean.

• ianatcn and mdowns like this

#16 k.s.min

k.s.min

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 23 July 2021 - 07:32 AM

Thanks a lot KS MIN for the input.

It looks like a coleostat design where the eyepiece holder is very stable without annoying shakes when settling the focuser.

As you brought lot of tiny features, delicate, low contrasted on saturn, may I suggest you have a look on uranus and neptune.

These planets are showing their pôle toward us.

On uranus it is expected a dark pôle, relatively, and other events like iced clouds.

Could you?

We are few reporting on that subject, essentially british observers, David Gray, Martin Lewis, Chris Nutall, italian Franco Reali, me, at the japaneese alpo website and others but by imaging.

Hope you could.

Good skies

Stanislas-Jean.

There  are  long  dreaming  to  me  to  observe  these  2  semi  giant  planets  of  uranus and neptune  .

To  my  regret  l  never  once  saw  one  of  them.

Ofcourse  though  l  have  a  eager  to  see uranus and neptune  with  my  13"er ,  aiming  with  the  attached  5x50  finder-scope  is  difficult .   lt  is  easy  only  for  bright  objects  such  as  jupiter,  saturn,  mars......by  the  optical  finder.

But  also,  the  photographs   of  uranus and neptune  even  by  Hubble space  telescope    disappoint  me  to  attempt.....there  are  few  or  no  details  on  these  planets. 

l  don't  want  waste  time  to  aim  them  and  l'll  invest  more  to  saturn  for  the  time being.... tongue2.gif   

My  pinned  tasks  these  years  are,....

1,    to  see the  speed  of  light  by  Roemer's  way.

2.    to  see   Procion's  parrallax  by  optical  way

3.    to  see   3/4  quarter  phase  moons  of  lo  or  Europa   sketched  by  David Gray     

4.    to  see    dim  fixed  star  through  the  gap  of  Cassini   -------------//----//------------

5.    ofcourse   the  more   study  for  Saturn  rings'  details

6.    to  see  lo,s  volcano  erruption  or  Enceladus's  fountain  (....MOSTLY  IMMPOSSIBLE?)

Edited by k.s.min, 23 July 2021 - 07:53 AM.

#17 stanislas-jean

stanislas-jean

Gemini

• -----

Posted 24 July 2021 - 04:46 AM

Ok, KS MIN, well received.

But what a pitty for the iced giants, this is an actual challenge.

Very good skies.

Stanislas-Jean

#18 hokkaido53

hokkaido53

Apollo

• Loc: Northern New Mexico

Posted Today, 04:38 PM

M.S.,

Very remarkable drawings! You must be a fairly skilled painter, as well.

I've noticed from your other posts that you spend a good deal of time observing the planets before you actually draw them. My tendency is to spend ten minutes at the most on a drawing, and as a result, I end up with 4 or 5 drawings after a 2-hour session. But I think I'm going to slow down from now on. Thanks for setting a good example for the rest of us!

Roy

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics