•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Laser barlowed question

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 miguel gonzalez

miguel gonzalez

Explorer 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Cadiz-Spain

Posted 19 July 2021 - 11:01 PM

Hi all...

I have a question about laser barlowed:

Any non-aligned laser (internally miscollimated) can do a correct and exact job in aligning the primary?

Thanks

Edited by miguel gonzalez, 19 July 2021 - 11:08 PM.

#2 vtornado

vtornado

Skylab

• Loc: 42N 88W

Posted 19 July 2021 - 11:40 PM

I believe the system works with a slightly misaligned laser.

One can rock the barlowed laser in the focuser and the doughnut shadow does not move,

which I think??? is equivalent to the laser being slightly off.

Someone correct be if I am wrong.   After I use this method, a star test shows I am right on or very close.

Also agrees with a collimation cap, but that only works with a bright light.

My fastest scope is an f/5

• Jon Isaacs and miguel gonzalez like this

#3 ngc7319_20

ngc7319_20

Vanguard

• Loc: MD

Posted 19 July 2021 - 11:52 PM

Yes, within reason, the laser can be mis-collimated.  If the laser collimation is very far off, and the Barlowed beam misses the center of the primary mirror, then you will have a problem.

• Jon Isaacs, miguel gonzalez and firemachine69 like this

#4 Redbetter

Redbetter

Voyager 1

• Loc: Central Valley, CA

Posted 20 July 2021 - 01:09 AM

I believe the system works with a slightly misaligned laser.

One can rock the barlowed laser in the focuser and the doughnut shadow does not move,

which I think??? is equivalent to the laser being slightly off.

Rocking the Barlow shifts the center of the Barlow somewhat (which is where the return is being evaluated)--so that produces a small collimation shift. This registration error is small, but the result is that the primary is not aiming quite at the center of the field.  [I suspect this might matter more for coma correctors than without them, since centering of the light cone in the corrector should be more critical to their performance.]  

I see this with the 2" Glatter/Tublug in the 20".  The long Tublug with the mass of the laser can make this somewhat sensitive to registration in the focuser.  What happens is that after tightly centering the secondary alignment, I put in the Tublug and despite my best efforts, I often find it is slightly askew on the first pass.  I can adjust the primary collimation, but will see the return diffraction rings are not concentric.  Loosening the screws on the focuser ever so slightly, I can make the Tublug flush, and carefully tighten down again, knowing that I have it when the return rings are well centered.  A small final touch up is needed on collimation after that, because the original return point that was collimated to was slightly off. 

#5 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 21 July 2021 - 03:36 PM

Rocking the Barlow shifts the center of the Barlow somewhat (which is where the return is being evaluated)--so that produces a small collimation shift

The question here is whether the laser itself can be misaligned.  If you rock the laser in the Barlow, then the shadow does not move.  As ngc7319_20 said, as long as the diffuse laser beam covers the center marker on the primary mirror, you should be good.

Jon

#6 Tom Stock

Tom Stock

Apollo

• Loc: Saint Augustine, FL

Posted 21 July 2021 - 04:03 PM

I experimented with this last night and wow.  I wish I'd tried this sooner. 

• Jon Isaacs and Crankyanken like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics