•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Hello World from Vancouver, BC

Eyepieces
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 cmdrkeen

cmdrkeen

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 July 2021 - 03:06 AM

Hi all,

This is my first post; I want to say hello and thank you to you all since I have been learning A LOT from CN. I have been interested in astronomy since I was a kid, and although I don't clearly remember when was it, I clearly remember the first time I saw an ad from Meade on a magazine that was bragging their shiny navy SCT set. I always wanted it, but didn't have time, money, or space for it. Now, the pandemic has come, and it made us locked down; it is quite ironic, but I found that it was a good chance for me to get into the hobby; not only for myself, but also for my young kids. Based on the learnings from CN, I started from a frugal table dob to "lean start". Many of articles from here CN and over the internet recommended start from binoculars or a small table dob before trying any complex and heavy telescopes. So I bought an Orion SkyScanner 100mm from Craigslist and immediately fell in love with stargazing. That cheap and small table dob was enough to make me wow when I first found Albireo.

and then... yes, I realized that I wanted more. Unlike back in 2000, I had money and space (unfortunately less time though) for bigger telescopes. Actually my design taste has been changed too. Now Celestron's orange OTA looked more attracting than Meade's orange OTA. I did undercover in Craigslist for couple of weeks and was able to buy a like-new condition C8 OTA (actually from a NexStar 8SE set) + AVX mount set for a good price from a local astrophotographer who had to sell it due to his movement. C8 was like a quantum leap from SkyScanner and I started enjoying more objects in the sky. I believe that I will ask more questions going forward while learning my telescope, astronomy and astrophotography. 

Thank you in advance & stay safe!

Attached Thumbnails

• 213914881_10159944779344769_4991833391735727454_n.jpg

• 3 i Guy and Kenny V. like this

#2 tturtle

tturtle

Vostok 1

• Loc: Florida

Posted 20 July 2021 - 06:11 AM

This is a great hobby and we are very fortunate to have this website/forum where we can exchange ideas and thoughts about all manner of things related to the home pursuit of astronomy. The classifieds in particular are a great way to purchase high quality second hand scope stuff that would otherwise be too expensive.  I recently purchased a very old 4” Meade Schmidt Cassegrain which is just a joy to use and has made me a big fan of small SCTs.

• cmdrkeen likes this

#3 luxo II

luxo II

Skylab

• ****-
  • Loc: Sydney, Australia

Posted 20 July 2021 - 08:27 AM

Ah. If you think SCTs are something, you should try a good Maksutov in good seeing.  Thus begins a never-ending temptation satisfied only by the depths of ones pockets.

Edited by luxo II, 20 July 2021 - 08:30 AM.

• cmdrkeen likes this

#4 Dwight J

Dwight J

Soyuz

• Loc: Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada

Posted 20 July 2021 - 09:54 AM

A C8 will keep you interested for life.  ait has enough grasp to show new objects everytime you go out.  Check out the Mt. Kobau Star Party and the Merrit Stargaze amateur astronomy gatherings.  

• cmdrkeen likes this

#5 cmdrkeen

cmdrkeen

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 July 2021 - 02:15 PM

Thank you all for the warm welcome!

@tturtle: I agree. I was able to find many rare items from classified too. By the way, what made those small SCTs attractive; its portability? I was hesitating between 6” and 8”, then eventually followed “bigger is better”. :-)

@luxo II: Yes, I found that SCT was an all-round player but also interested in other types of telescopes too. I initially didn’t fully understand why amateur astronomers owned multiple telescopes, but started understanding.

@Dwight J: I think that C8 is more than enough considering my environment and experience. I was not very successful finding DSOs other than M31 and NGC869 due to the light pollution in my neighbourhood, so also interested in star parties. Will check them out!

Edited by cmdrkeen, 20 July 2021 - 02:16 PM.

#6 RalphMeisterTigerMan

RalphMeisterTigerMan

Surveyor 1

Posted 20 July 2021 - 03:00 PM

Vancouver? Where the heck is Vancouver? That in west Canada or something? Wow, you sure are from from far away. How long do radio-signals take to reach Vancouver and back...must be a bit of a time lag, eh?

Clear skies and keep looking up!

RalphMeisterTigerMan

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Eyepieces

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics