•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Jupiter’s looking sweet at the moment.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 T.C. COSMOS

T.C. COSMOS

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: TOPANGA CANYON

Posted 20 July 2021 - 05:13 AM

Both moons are in parallel, binary starlike formations. Like twins on either side. Looks so cool.

Jupiter never seizes to amaze me.

• doctordub, Robert Cook, REC and 1 other like this

#2 REC

REC

Voyager 1

• Loc: NC

Posted 20 July 2021 - 12:44 PM

Yup, looking forward to Jupiter and Saturn season for the next few mos.!

Waiting for them to get a little higher and over 25*

• doctordub, T.C. COSMOS and Dobs O Fun like this

#3 PKDfan

PKDfan

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Edmonton

Posted 22 July 2021 - 07:16 PM

Hi T.C. Cosmos!

I have just starting to get some in depth observing sessions with Jupiter for the first time since getting my telescope. I am only getting less than a second glimpses of excellence though!

A few days ago caught my first shadow transit. Wow!!

I am keeping my sessions at a power of 135× with my 6.5mm Baader Morpheus as even at this lowish magnification, the view is mostly mush but every now and then it snaps into glorious sharpness. Love the expresso colour of the N.E.B.!

Trying to determine which power I should get when it transits much higher than now.

Since my ota has an excellent figure, thinking of getting the 4mm T.O.E. for 225×.

Us poor astronomers north of the 49th have so many problems when it comes to planetary observing.

Must Be Patient!!!

Clear skies & Good seeing

Edited by PKDfan, 22 July 2021 - 07:18 PM.

• flt158 and T.C. COSMOS like this

#4 Robert Cook

Robert Cook

Mariner 2

• Loc: San Diego County, California

Posted 23 July 2021 - 02:29 AM

Both moons are in parallel, binary starlike formations. Like twins on either side. Looks so cool.
Jupiter never seizes to amaze me.

Yeah, I observed tonight despite the clouds, and am glad I did.  Although contrast was compromised because of the haze over Jupiter, I actually got some of my finest views ever because the seeing in my area was uncommonly excellent.  Actually, I haven't experienced seeing this steady and calm for a long time.  I usually have my sessions planned out, so it was nice to just go out and be surprised by something unexpected--and lucky that something interesting was actually happening.  It kind of looked as though Europa and Io, as well as Ganymede and Callisto, were paired off and dancing around Jupiter. :)

Edited by Robert Cook, 23 July 2021 - 02:34 AM.

• T.C. COSMOS likes this

#5 acnomad

acnomad

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Jupiter, FL

Posted 23 July 2021 - 10:34 AM

Although contrast was compromised because of the haze over Jupiter, I actually got some of my finest views ever because the seeing in my area was uncommonly excellent.  Actually, I haven't experienced seeing this steady and calm for a long time.

Just curious - do you happen to know what the seeing was in your area last night?

#6 Robert Cook

Robert Cook

Mariner 2

• Loc: San Diego County, California

Posted 23 July 2021 - 02:31 PM

Just curious - do you happen to know what the seeing was in your area last night?

As in what?  The Pickering scale?  It varied from 8-10, in my estimation, but for the most part was 10 while I was out (which wasn't long, less than an hour, due to cloud cover).  I didn't check the Clear Sky Chart at the time, but I just did, and it is predicting Excellent (5/5) seeing at the same time tonight, and for short stretches over the next couple of days.  Of course, seeing is not just about weather, but local heat sources and such.  I'm just saying that in my particular suburban backyard, I've seldom had such rock-steady seeing that lasted for minutes at a time (with few and short, minor interruptions).  It's not bad here overall, but this was unusual, and I sure wish that transparency was much better last night.  The fact that Jupiter wasn't particularly high in the sky at the time wasn't the negative factor it usually would have been, as well.

#7 T.C. COSMOS

T.C. COSMOS

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: TOPANGA CANYON

Posted 23 July 2021 - 02:37 PM

Fellas, it was a cool dance indeed. I’ve only but a couple of years, few at the most, observing the cosmos. It’s great to be the center of the universe to see what’s out there.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics