•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Choosing between a imx464 and imx462

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#1 GSBass

GSBass

Vanguard

• topic starter
  • Loc: South Carolina

Posted 20 July 2021 - 09:42 AM

have not tested the 464 yet but have it in house for when the weather clears. I am very familiar with the 462 though having used it for a year.  What’s not readily apparent to me though is why a new person would choose a imx462 over a imx464. You basically double your chip size for the same money and imagine If you cropped the imx464 to hd resolution then frame rates would be identical also. So am I missing something? Kinda makes me wonder why player one even decided to make both versions unless it’s solely based on the 462 reputation as a selling point.

I’ll be testing soon but from everything I have seen and read the performance should be exactly the same

Edited by GSBass, 20 July 2021 - 09:43 AM.

• John Boudreau and Tulloch like this

#2 happylimpet

happylimpet

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Southampton, UK

Posted 20 July 2021 - 10:40 AM

from what i see youve summed the situation up just fine. The 464 is a bigger 462.

• John Boudreau and GSBass like this

#3 GSBass

GSBass

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 20 July 2021 - 10:51 AM

I’m actually excited to use the 464 on a good bit of DSO, I tested the 462c for this and it performed well, the extra size will give me more room for cropping out field rotation since I use a Az mount. It also might help capture more moons when I image Jupiter, currently with my mak small FOV I usually only get a couple in frame…. Options are good!

from what i see youve summed the situation up just fine. The 464 is a bigger 462.

#4 happylimpet

happylimpet

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Southampton, UK

Posted 20 July 2021 - 11:03 AM

Yeah I used the 462 for some infra-red imaging to good effect.

https://www.cloudyni...ove-redshift-6/

The 464 wouldve been better, as the small field caused problems with plate solving and getting enough stars to stack.

• GSBass likes this

#5 GSBass

GSBass

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 20 July 2021 - 11:17 AM

Very nice, I remember visiting that thread before, this was my latest attempt with the 462c

Yeah I used the 462 for some infra-red imaging to good effect.

https://www.cloudyni...ove-redshift-6/

The 464 wouldve been better, as the small field caused problems with plate solving and getting enough stars to stack.

Attached Thumbnails

• 872465F5-45E1-4B30-810B-C2CD2BB2C1C3.png

#6 Tulloch

Tulloch

Gemini

• Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Posted 20 July 2021 - 04:44 PM

Interesting, thanks for the heads-up on the new sensor!

• GSBass likes this

#7 Ittaku

Ittaku

Apollo

• -----

Posted 20 July 2021 - 05:56 PM

Awesome, another camera I can buy! But then I'll have to sell my 462 (again.)

• Tulloch likes this

#8 Tulloch

Tulloch

Gemini

Posted 20 July 2021 - 05:57 PM

Awesome, another camera I can buy! But then I'll have to sell my 462 (again.)

Thought you might like that! lol.gif.

I assume Firecapture can control Player-One cameras?

Edited by Tulloch, 20 July 2021 - 05:58 PM.

• Ittaku likes this

#9 Ittaku

Ittaku

Apollo

• -----

Posted 20 July 2021 - 06:00 PM

Thought you might like that! lol.gif.

I assume Firecapture can control Player-One cameras?

I don't think so, but I'll wait for ZWO to make one with the 464 sensor anyway. I got burnt last time I bought a camera from any other manufacturer.

• Tulloch likes this

#10 wargrafix

wargrafix

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Trinidad

Posted 20 July 2021 - 06:45 PM

I don't think so, but I'll wait for ZWO to make one with the 464 sensor anyway. I got burnt last time I bought a camera from any other manufacturer.

They find the cameras just fine.

Both sharpcap and firecapture see may player 1 camera fine
  • Tulloch likes this

#11 Tulloch

Tulloch

Gemini

Posted 20 July 2021 - 06:51 PM

Which one do you have?

#12 wargrafix

wargrafix

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Trinidad

Posted 20 July 2021 - 07:04 PM

Mars-m
  • Tulloch likes this

#13 Ittaku

Ittaku

Apollo

• -----

Posted 20 July 2021 - 10:11 PM

Sure, but it doesn't change the fact that the ZWO drivers are mature, and I already have an ASI 462MC so I'm happy to wait.

#14 GSBass

GSBass

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 20 July 2021 - 11:00 PM

I’m actually not expecting zwo or Qhy to release a 464 because of its similarities… ends up cannibalizing 462 sales instead of creating new ones, Player one seems to be a nice cam so far though

Sure, but it doesn't change the fact that the ZWO drivers are mature, and I already have an ASI 462MC so I'm happy to wait.

#15 Ittaku

Ittaku

Apollo

• -----

Posted 20 July 2021 - 11:04 PM

I’m actually not expecting zwo or Qhy to release a 464 because of its similarities… ends up cannibalizing 462 sales instead of creating new ones, Player one seems to be a nice cam so far though

I can understand that assumption, especially given the fans that certain brands have (just like I'm a fan of ZWO) but there is no reason to believe they won't bring one out. However, it's just like the 385 sensor vs the 224 sensor. I've noticed that ZWO have already started discounting the 462 which is a sign they have something planned for the 464 in my opinion.

• GSBass likes this

#16 GSBass

GSBass

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 21 July 2021 - 07:02 AM

Maybe, I am certainly not in the know…. It’s hard to find info about cameras even after they are released haha, I wouldn’t say I’m brand loyal in this category, I’ve only had QHY but didn’t hesitate to try player one…. I’m sure zwo is good too, probably the only cameras I wouldn’t try are ones that don’t play nice with sharpcap, you would think they would all have reps living in Robins neighborhood at this point just to ensure smooth operation out of the gate

I can understand that assumption, especially given the fans that certain brands have (just like I'm a fan of ZWO) but there is no reason to believe they won't bring one out. However, it's just like the 385 sensor vs the 224 sensor. I've noticed that ZWO have already started discounting the 462 which is a sign they have something planned for the 464 in my opinion.

• Ittaku likes this

#17 TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto

Fly Me to the Moon

• -----
  • Loc: Ajman - UAE

Posted 21 July 2021 - 10:35 AM

Pity that i missed two competitions that Player one made so which the winner will get that imx464 sensor camera, so i felt sad and decided that i will not buy anything yet as maybe in future something else will come out or waiting ZWO to make same sensor camera if possible, after all it has same pixel size as my ASI290, and 462 is another new camera with same pixel size, i wanted a color camera of that 2.9um pixel size next to my 290mm, so i will wait and see in future what will we have more.

#18 GSBass

GSBass

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 21 July 2021 - 10:53 AM

I feel pretty confident if you bought one and didn’t like it you could sell it here and maybe lose 30 dollars , I may sell my 485 if the imx464 becomes my new fave, none of these cams are real expensive, love the 485 also but I do so much infrared I may end up not using it as much

Pity that i missed two competitions that Player one made so which the winner will get that imx464 sensor camera, so i felt sad and decided that i will not buy anything yet as maybe in future something else will come out or waiting ZWO to make same sensor camera if possible, after all it has same pixel size as my ASI290, and 462 is another new camera with same pixel size, i wanted a color camera of that 2.9um pixel size next to my 290mm, so i will wait and see in future what will we have more.

#19 TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto

Fly Me to the Moon

• -----

Posted 21 July 2021 - 11:05 AM

I feel pretty confident if you bought one and didn’t like it you could sell it here and maybe lose 30 dollars , I may sell my 485 if the imx464 becomes my new fave, none of these cams are real expensive, love the 485 also but I do so much infrared I may end up not using it as much

WRONG, if i buy any i will love any, it is just that i have to choose one, if i go with 462 then the itching will start telling me that 464 is better, if i went with 464 then another itching will tell me that it is nothing much better than 462 anyway, but the worst itching will be if i went with any of both and then in 1 year or 2 there will be new one better than both, so i have to decide for next year or maybe end of this year when ZWO will have their regular Christmas offers as i bought three during that time [2017, 2018, 2019].

#20 GSBass

GSBass

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 21 July 2021 - 11:43 AM

Ok…. I’ll have a final verdict on the imx464 by fall so check back with me, I was hoping for first light tonight but weather looks iffy, will probably try a globular or dumbbell nebula if it clears up

WRONG, if i buy any i will love any, it is just that i have to choose one, if i go with 462 then the itching will start telling me that 464 is better, if i went with 464 then another itching will tell me that it is nothing much better than 462 anyway, but the worst itching will be if i went with any of both and then in 1 year or 2 there will be new one better than both, so i have to decide for next year or maybe end of this year when ZWO will have their regular Christmas offers as i bought three during that time [2017, 2018, 2019].

#21 TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto

Fly Me to the Moon

• -----

Posted 21 July 2021 - 11:55 AM

Ok…. I’ll have a final verdict on the imx464 by fall so check back with me, I was hoping for first light tonight but weather looks iffy, will probably try a globular or dumbbell nebula if it clears up

I was like a hair away from ordering that 462 last year by Christmas with ZWO offers again, but something telling me to stop, and this year i saw that Player One IMX464 [Neptune-II C], sounds a tad better, but then i have to remember why i want any anyway while i have 4 cameras already, only to have a color version of 290, could go with 290 color anyway, but always new products are nice to think about, and i am still not having deciding between those two in the topic or even none waiting something else, but yes, i will wait your final verdict which will help in decision for sure, thanks in advance also.

• GSBass likes this

#22 GSBass

GSBass

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 21 July 2021 - 12:01 PM

Probably the main selling point for these new sensors is infrared…. If you have no interest in daytime astrophotography or imaging in infrared at night then it’s not going to be much different than what you have. In my case 50% of my imaging is daytime, lunar and planets 

I was like a hair away from ordering that 462 last year by Christmas with ZWO offers again, but something telling me to stop, and this year i saw that Player One IMX464 [Neptune-II C], sounds a tad better, but then i have to remember why i want any anyway while i have 4 cameras already, only to have a color version of 290, could go with 290 color anyway, but always new products are nice to think about, and i am still not having deciding between those two in the topic or even none waiting something else, but yes, i will wait your final verdict which will help in decision for sure, thanks in advance also.

• happylimpet likes this

#23 TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto

Fly Me to the Moon

• -----

Posted 21 July 2021 - 12:08 PM

Probably the main selling point for these new sensors is infrared…. If you have no interest in daytime astrophotography or imaging in infrared at night then it’s not going to be much different than what you have. In my case 50% of my imaging is daytime, lunar and planets 

I do lunar the most with all filters including IR, and i do planets, i did very few times by daytime, but i like to do them by night, and sure i do have few IR pass filters also, i also have UV filter which is nicer with mono anyway, but for color camera i think IR pass and Lum or UV/IR cut filters are my most used filters, and i am planning to get back to planetary later after i buy the scope first, not the camera.

#24 GSBass

GSBass

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 21 July 2021 - 12:25 PM

My most used daytime and nighttime infrared filter is the astronomik 642, it’s actually kind of a narrowband because it blocks light above 850 also…. Highly recommended, some of my best lunar shots were done with it, helps to steady the atmosphere but keeps the far infrared from robbing detail

I do lunar the most with all filters including IR, and i do planets, i did very few times by daytime, but i like to do them by night, and sure i do have few IR pass filters also, i also have UV filter which is nicer with mono anyway, but for color camera i think IR pass and Lum or UV/IR cut filters are my most used filters, and i am planning to get back to planetary later after i buy the scope first, not the camera.

Edited by GSBass, 21 July 2021 - 12:26 PM.

#25 TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto

Fly Me to the Moon

• -----

Posted 21 July 2021 - 01:21 PM

My most used daytime and nighttime infrared filter is the astronomik 642, it’s actually kind of a narrowband because it blocks light above 850 also…. Highly recommended, some of my best lunar shots were done with it, helps to steady the atmosphere but keeps the far infrared from robbing detail

My best is Astronomik 742 then followed by Baader 685, i didn't get that Astronomik because i felt that 685 is more than enough, and i also have IR 600 which is not IR actually, after all i liked 742 because it works perfectly for both, mono and color, more than 685, i even bought 850 just for more fun later for Venus maybe or anything else.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics