•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

The new Fastar collimation screw cover

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 R Mayer

R Mayer

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 July 2021 - 10:40 AM

Just obtained a new Celestron 9.25 with Fastar. Warning!!!! Do not attempt to rotate that cover with any force to gain access to the collimation screws! It seems there are little tabs under the new covers that engage in the holes of the collimation screws. Many on the forums have rotated the entire secondary assembly, and even the corrector plate trying to turn the cover. I discovered three slots at the base of the cover, and small wedges need to be placed into them to lift the tabs free of the screw depressions. Celestron needs to include this information in the instructions. Cloudy Nights Form has some people needing to return their scopes to the factory after messing up the corrector/secondary orientation. Pass this on to others to save them much anguish.

• teashea likes this

#2 goldtr8

goldtr8

Ranger 4

Posted 20 July 2021 - 10:43 AM

Picture?

• R Mayer likes this

#3 sharkmelley

sharkmelley

Aurora

• Loc: UK

Posted 20 July 2021 - 10:48 AM

So what is the correct way to access the collimation screws?

Mark

• R Mayer likes this

#4 R Mayer

R Mayer

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 July 2021 - 11:12 AM

20210720_08583115064 (2).jpg

You see here one of the three little wooden wedges inserted into one of the three slots needed to lift the tabs underneath free from the collimation screw depressions. The cover will rotate easily once the three wedges are inserted to lift the tabs free. 

• teashea likes this

#5 MarMax

MarMax

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 21 July 2021 - 01:54 AM

Good to know but a strange design change. I don't see the point in having the Fastar cover locked in so securely. I'll be taking my C11 apart one of these days and I'm going to remove that cover if it's easily doable. It's only purpose is getting in the way of the wingnut collimation screws.

• R Mayer likes this

#6 R Mayer

R Mayer

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 August 2021 - 06:25 PM

Good to know but a strange design change. I don't see the point in having the Fastar cover locked in so securely. I'll be taking my C11 apart one of these days and I'm going to remove that cover if it's easily doable. It's only purpose is getting in the way of the wingnut collimation screws.

No need to remove it once it is rotated it will stay out of the way allowing access to the adjustment screws.smile.gif

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics