•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

A C8 RASA and a OSC camera walk into a Bortle 1... (Part 1 of 3)

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 20 July 2021 - 11:16 AM

After 5 years I decided to try the dark sky thing.  A one night stand was out of the question, I rented a cabin in central Nebraska for 6 nights, W-M.  On arrival W looked poor, so I set up leisurely during the day Th.  As I had feared wifi was iffy, so I used the portable router I'd got ($30) to connect the inside laptop with the outside NUC.  Th night was thunderstorms, but I had a good cover, threw it over everything. 

F, Sa, were no gos.  I pared back elaborate plans to one setup (I'd also taken the 130mm and a 2600MM) and a few targets that were impossible from my backyard.  Mostly too far S.  The camera was the 2600MC.

Sa was pretty mediocre, but I took a few images, including one key one you'll see later.  PhD2 was acting up, I bumped the gain to 100 (offset 60) and subexposurers were 8 seconds.  Unguided.  For some reason the Spike a Flat was flickering, I took my first ever sky flats at twilight.

Su was the pick day, although seeing was just OK. 

So, here's the first image, from Su data.   I need to see if adding Saturdays data on this target helps or hurts.

400X8".  Better quality version and all details here.

https://www.astrobin.com/zjev5n/

Immediately below (space limitations) is one sub.  I appear to have gotten incredibly lucky.  I know people often mistake other things (satellites mostly) for meteors, but I think this is actually a meteor.  Comments on that welcomed.

M8 M20 V1  j1.jpg

Edited by bobzeq25, 20 July 2021 - 11:18 AM.

• Mert, dswtan, CCD-Freak and 13 others like this

#2 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 20 July 2021 - 11:16 AM

Meteor?

Meteor.jpg

#3 Medic002

Medic002

Ranger 4

• Loc: South Carolina Bortle Class 4

Posted 20 July 2021 - 11:25 AM

it could possibly be a meteor. there is a meteor shower going on now whole month of July and if i remember correctly the peak is july 25th. there is another meteor shower i believe in august also. i have seen these fast streaks also this month but through my finder scope while i was trying to line up a star during alignment. i didn't spot any of them with my naked eye but on occasion would see them through my finderscope if i looked long enough. very nice picture btw.

#4 Mike G.

Mike G.

Vanguard

• Loc: Oberlin, Ohio

Posted 20 July 2021 - 11:32 AM

amazing for a single sub!  my guess would be a satellite looking at the apparent brightness compared to how I have seen meteors flare, but what do I know....

#5 Medic002

Medic002

Ranger 4

• Loc: South Carolina Bortle Class 4

Posted 20 July 2021 - 11:35 AM

i don't know for sure but if the meteor is not coming through the atmosphere it would not be flaring and just appear as a streak like in his photo.

#6 rj144

rj144

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 20 July 2021 - 12:54 PM

Awesome, but I'm a little confused.  Is that one sub?  In your link to astrobin, it's the stack which appears to be the same as the pic posted here.

#7 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 20 July 2021 - 01:00 PM

Awesome, but I'm a little confused.  Is that one sub?  In your link to astrobin, it's the stack which appears to be the same as the pic posted here.

The second image is just one 8 second sub, that's where the meteor or whatever was.  Converted to a small jpg for posting here, per CN restrictions.

The astrobin reference shows fairly large (astrobin has a restriction also, but it's not remotely as onerous) png versions of both images (as two "revisions", which is what astrobin allows).  Significantly better.

The first image is 400 subs, bias, flats, processed.

Edited by bobzeq25, 20 July 2021 - 01:01 PM.

• rj144 likes this

#8 Madratter

Madratter

Voyager 1

Posted 20 July 2021 - 01:01 PM

I think that is most likely a satellite. The way the brightness is varying along the trail is rather typical of a satellite that is slowly spinning/rotating/tumbling.

#9 rj144

rj144

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 20 July 2021 - 01:04 PM

The second image is just one 8 second sub, that's where the meteor or whatever was.  Converted to a small jpg for posting here, per CN restrictions.

The astrobin reference shows fairly large (astrobin has a restriction also, but it's not remotely as onerous) png versions of both images (as two "revisions", which is what astrobin allows).  Significantly better.

The first image is 400 subs, bias, flats, processed.

Got it.  You meant immediately below the first post is your sub, not immediately below the text.  ;)

• bobzeq25 likes this

#10 wxcloud

wxcloud

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Denver, Co

Posted 20 July 2021 - 07:11 PM

Lovely image!
  • bobzeq25 likes this

#11 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 26 July 2021 - 10:54 AM

Having been struck by lightning, I simply have to post this.

That image was awarded a Top Pick (silver) on astrobin.  Few things.

It must have been a very slow day.  <smile>  I never got anything like that before, I never expect to do it again.  This is not really bragging.  Personally, looking at other Top Picks, I don't think the image (or I) deserved it.  Mostly, I'm humbled.  Or think that they made a mistake.

The one thing I will say is that this shows the value of the Artesky C8 RASA camera mount.  Sharp stars to the edges with a C8 RASA, and a 2600MC with an APS-C chip.   Must have gotten lucky with focus, as well.  The method used was Sharpcap Pro, multistar FWHM.

$115 and in stock.  Note that changing filters is labor intensive (none was used for that image).

https://agenaastro.c...-backfocus.html

Edited by bobzeq25, 26 July 2021 - 10:56 AM.

• dswtan, AhBok, 17.5Dob and 1 other like this

#12 Mike G.

Mike G.

Vanguard

• Loc: Oberlin, Ohio

Posted 26 July 2021 - 01:31 PM

Having been struck by lightning, I simply have to post this.

That image was awarded a Top Pick (silver) on astrobin.  Few things.

It must have been a very slow day.  <smile>  I never got anything like that before, I never expect to do it again.  This is not really bragging.  Personally, looking at other Top Picks, I don't think the image (or I) deserved it.  Mostly, I'm humbled.  Or think that they made a mistake.

The one thing I will say is that this shows the value of the Artesky C8 RASA camera mount.  Sharp stars to the edges with a C8 RASA, and a 2600MC with an APS-C chip.   Must have gotten lucky with focus, as well.  The method used was Sharpcap Pro, multistar FWHM.

$115 and in stock.  Note that changing filters is labor intensive (none was used for that image).

Congrats!  you've been at it a long time, you deserve it!

• bobzeq25 likes this

#13 17.5Dob

17.5Dob

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Colorado,USA

Posted 26 July 2021 - 02:52 PM

SOoooo......are you now a dark sky convert ?

• CCD-Freak likes this

#14 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 26 July 2021 - 03:36 PM

SOoooo......are you now a dark sky convert ?

No.  Unequivocally.  As I said in Part 3.

"Some bottom lines.  It was satsifying to mount this expedition (trip does not begin to describe it), and pull off the top priorities, by overcoming some difficulties.

The time, effort, and money make it unlikely I'll repeat it.  If I do, I'm headed for better weather.  But I think I'll be satisfied more than ever with my observatory in my Bortle 7 backyard.  Maybe do some more narrowband."

That covers it.  Dark sky trips are for younger, healthier people than me.  I'm fine with my backyard observatory, Bortle 7.

None of which affects the fact that dark skies = better images.  It's just not for me, personally.

Edited by bobzeq25, 26 July 2021 - 04:16 PM.

• drprovi57 and dswtan like this

#15 dswtan

dswtan

Viking 1

• Loc: Morgan Hill, CA

Posted 26 July 2021 - 10:47 PM

The one thing I will say is that this shows the value of the Artesky C8 RASA camera mount. 

Congrats, Bob! I have the Artesky adapter too. Not tried in earnest yet. Has this usurped your PreciseParts adapter now?! 

Edited by dswtan, 26 July 2021 - 10:58 PM.

• bobzeq25 likes this

#16 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 26 July 2021 - 10:57 PM

Congrats, Bob! I have the Artesky adapter too. Not tried in earnest yet. Has this usurped your PrecisionParts adapter now?! 

For the 2600 MC with a filter, definitely.  The 2600 can't use 1.25 filters.

Should I choose, for whatever reasons, to image with an "old" 183, I could use the PP.

Edited by bobzeq25, 26 July 2021 - 10:58 PM.

• dswtan likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics