•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Meade LX 200 star tracking

Astrophotography
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jackstars

jackstars

Lift Off

• topic starter
  • Loc: New Port Richey, FL.

Posted 20 July 2021 - 12:54 PM

HI, I'm new to solar photography. I have a Meade LX 200 10" classic with the instruction manual. I want to track the Sun for photography, but the manual doesn't have a code for the sun. It has for all the planets and moon, but not the sun. I have a full glass solar filter and a

1 1/4"  7nm H filter. Want to use my DSLR Sony camera.

How do I set my scope so It will track the sun.

Appreciate any help.

Thanks, Jack

Attached Thumbnails

• Meade telescope 2.jpg

#2 Tapio

Tapio

Aurora

• -----
  • Loc: Tampere, Finland

Posted 20 July 2021 - 01:31 PM

Tracking in planet/moon and also normal sidereal speed is enough tracking the Sun too.

Note that normal 7nm Ha filter (for deep sky) is not of use in Sun imaging.

Ie it's too broadband to catch solar features.

#3 carolinaskies

carolinaskies

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Greenville SC

Posted 20 July 2021 - 02:45 PM

The Sun isn't stored as a target in the LX200 as a safety measure.   

For my 16" LX200 I simply start up the telescope and let it run it's routine for GPS and 2 star alignment, simply accepting what the system identifies as the locations. (same for either Alt-Az or Equatorial/Polar mode).  Then I center the Sun with the hand control using the shadow of the telescope on the ground as a guide. When the shadow side to side and top to bottom is smallest is when the telescope is pretty closely centered on the Sun.  Make sure you have your solar filter firmly in place over the front of the telescope before any attempts to look through it.  And definitely don't use your finder scope unless you have a filter for it.  You can look up pinhole solar finder on any search engine and learn how to make a simple solar finder.   

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Astrophotography

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics