•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Platesolve with Intel NUC i7

Polar Alignment Astrometry
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ZS1RA

ZS1RA

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: South Africa

Posted 20 July 2021 - 03:07 PM

I have been trying for weeks to get Platesolve 2 or 3 to work on my computers. I have a HP Mini computer and a NUC 7i7 that cannot run Platesolve. My other computer runs it without any problem.

Is anyone running Platesolve on a mini computer of any sorts? If you are I’m keen to hear about it.

TIA

Shaun

#2 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

ISS

Posted 20 July 2021 - 03:35 PM

I have been trying for weeks to get Platesolve 2 or 3 to work on my computers. I have a HP Mini computer and a NUC 7i7 that cannot run Platesolve. My other computer runs it without any problem.

Is anyone running Platesolve on a mini computer of any sorts? If you are I’m keen to hear about it.

TIA

Shaun

I have platesolved quite successfully and fast with both an i3 NUC and an i5 NUC.

Platesolve2.  Never had a problem running it, nor does it ever fail, now that I have a bit of experience.  Use a rather indifferent GOTO (star alignment?  we don't need no stinkin' star alignment <smile> ) to get me close, although often the target is not in the frame.

I do it every time I image.  It.      Just.    Works.

Got Pluto essentially dead center recently.  GOTO, snap an 8 second sub, platesolve, correct (manually) just once.  I also sometimes automate the process with Voyager.  It has no problem, either.

https://www.cloudyni...-1-part-2-of-3/

Suggestion.  Instead of getting frustrated at night, you can try getting it to work during the daytime.

Edited by bobzeq25, 20 July 2021 - 03:42 PM.

#3 SDTopensied

SDTopensied

Viking 1

• Loc: Atlanta

Posted 20 July 2021 - 03:44 PM

I had a problem on one that ended up being a Windows security feature that prevented it from running.  Can you run the Platesolve2 app manually?  That would be the first step I would take in troubleshooting.

#4 WadeH237

WadeH237

Cosmos

• Loc: Ellensburg, WA

Posted 20 July 2021 - 05:16 PM

Try running it once elevated as administrator.  It's possible that it needs to write some initialization settings into the registry in a protected place.

I recently build a new imaging computer, and had to run TheSkyX once as administrator in order for it to write the COM automation settings into registry.  Before doing that, I could not connect TheSkyX to my mount.  After the one-time instance as administrator, it now runs correctly as a low privileged user.  Platesolve2 might be running into something similar (although if I remember right, it worked on my new machine without doing that...)

#5 limeyx

limeyx

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 21 July 2021 - 11:06 AM

TIA

Shaun

What kind of error do you get ? I'm running ASTAP very well on a cheapo mini no-name PC

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Polar Alignment, Astrometry

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics